Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-23          138294

The Mrs. brought home a fresh whole pork loin the other day and asked me to help slice it into smaller roasts. I could'nt believe how dull her kitchen knives were, like using a hack saw akmost. Does anyone have a favorite brand of sharpner that really works and doesn't cost a fortune. Thanks. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-23          138298

Hardwood,

Not sure what constitutes a fortune, but we have a Chef's Choice model #130 that sells for about $140.00. It is an electric grinder that has different slots for progressive edging. It will even sharpen serrated edged knives.

I was always leery of the old electric grinders, but they have really improved these. I recently bought a $150 Santuku chef's knife for my wife and this is the sharpener the mfg. recommends. It does a great job.

I have tried other sharpeners in the past, from stropping steel to ceramic to stones and just have not had any luck. If it's easy to use, the knives will always stay sharp....even if it is a bit expensive.

Hope that helps. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-12-23          138303

Bvance; Thanks for the info I'll get one ordered, we probably have more than 140.00 tied up in ones that never worked. We don't have any real high dollar knives, but dull ones of any price are about worthless. Merry Christmas. Frank. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-23          138306

Frank; I am afraid I have a wet stone and hand sharpen everything, but if you are passing out sharpeners for Christmas Santa Frank. Naturally I am interested in sharpening the blades for the 16" planer, 6" jointer and chisels. You can tell her you need it for the Kitchen knives and reap the benifits.

Being poor I use my friends at the moment. ....

Link:   Makita

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-12-23          138308

Peters; When we had the furniture plant I had a local fellow who did sharpening for a living take care of the planer, jointer knives, shaper cuttere, carbide blades, etc. he always did an excellent job and did'nt charge much. It just wasn't practical time wise to have an empolyee use production time to sharpen tools. Last time I was at his shop he had a new machine about the size of a VW beetle that had more buttons and dials on it than the Univac, all computer controled of course. Merry Christmas. Frank. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-12-23          138309

Peters; Guess I did'nt answer the whole queation you asked me. I could look thru the closets and the basement and probably come up with enough usless sharpeners, Vegematics, Billy May super duty slicers, dicers, majic jar openers. etc. likely still in the unopened boxes that the kids have given their Mother over the years to fill a pickup truck, so how bout a road trip to Iowa? Frank. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
Peters

2006-12-23          138310

Sorry Frank the next trip will be along 15 to CA not that far north. UPS does deliver in AL though.

The alternate in the picture link is a Harbor Freight grinder that is similar price the the dedicated knife system. Merry Christmas. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
Billy

2006-12-23          138312

Frank, I guess mine would be the Norton Multi Oilstone Sharpener. It's nothing fancy but it'll sharpen a knife as good as any. It does have a bit of a learning curve. Once you learn at what angle to sharpen a knife, you've got it made. You won't ever have a dull knife again.

Also pick up a good quality steel. It's a must. F. Dick and Forschner are my two favorites. Not that they are the best but good quality at a reasonable price.

Merry Christmas
Billy ....

Link:   3-way Multi Oilstone Sharpening System

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-12-23          138313

Billy, You're right on the angle of the edge, and that was always my downfall, I just could'nt seem to keep it consistent. The fellow I spoke of who sharpend our woodshop tools always left kind of a second minibevel on the very edge of the blade that was hardly visible without a hand lense, I don't know the strategy behind that but they always cut better than new planer or jointer knives. Frank. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-01-03          138466

Billy,

We have used the three way stone system for years and it is one of the best.

Hardwood,

If you hold the handle and look down the edge of the knife blade you can see that one side is off set, sharpen the other side until they match and it will be sharp. With pratice you can feel the difference in the drag on the stone.

for kitchen knives I have a $5 item that has two washers on it and you drag the knife through the washers and it forms an edge. This system eats up the knife and I do not suggest useing it on top dollar knives.

good luck ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
8x56mn

2007-01-04          138468

Well I have a sharpening buisness on the side and have purchased a True Hone, I believe it's the best on the market. It will put a razor edge if you like, on anything, thick or thin, long or short in about 30 seconds. It's pricey about 750.00. hey send them all to me and I turn them around in 1 day.
Gary ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-04          138469

Hardwood,
I bought some different lower price items over the years but the simplest and best one I found is a piece of wood with holes drilled at the proper angle to place the cermanic stones in. THey form a "V" and you hold the knife vertical and just pull it through. Of course it is for touch up, but that is what most of the time our kitchen knives need. When you do get them sharp, keep them out of the dishwasher and a loose drawer. Oh yea, like that is going to happen. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-04          138471

As this all turned out I was in the local coffee shop a couple mornings after I first posted, so I brought up the subject of knife sharpeners. Turns out a local fellow whom I know fairly well is an advid hunter, fisherman, trapper, trap shooter, etc.. Turns out his hobby is sharpening knives with some sort of hand held stones, he said bring them up, give me an hour. Result was, razor sharp, almost insulted the man trying to pay him. Neat guy. Frank. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-01-04          138476

sounds like you found the best system of all. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-01-04          138477

Over the years I have had opportunity to work with folk in packing plants (slaughter houses) - they ALL use the same method to sharpen the hundreds of thousands of knives they use all day - a regular sharpening steel. The key is to sharpen often. Of course you also have to know how to use a steel properly. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-01-04          138478

Ann, is a sharpening steel one of those hand-held metal post thingys that look like a rough (not polished) rod of steel? I just want to make sure I know what you are talking about.

My wife's cousin's jusband used something like that on his expensive cooking knives over Christmas. He has to have the best of everything so that people look up to him. In his mind they do. To everyone else, he's just a guy with ADD and a Neil Young look that he's not quite pulling off. Did I mention he's basically a male gold-digger to be blunt? ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-01-04          138481

Iowafun,

Dont sugar coat it, tell us how you realy feel. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
Billy

2007-01-04          138482

Ann, a sharpening steel is only used to maintain an edge. In other words it straightens the edge that's already there. Once the edge is worn down it has to be redone by some kind of grinding. ....

Kitchen Knife Sharpeners

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-01-05          138497

I stand corrected: In that case I regularly maintain the edge of my kitchen knives with a steel, I have found that they dont require sharpening that way. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login