Go Bottom Go Bottom

Problems with Prosthetic Implants in Space Flight

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-30          126860

I heard on the news this morning that they won't allow women with breast implants on the first tourist space flights. There is worry that they will "explode" in the environment of reduced air pressure.

Now I don't know much about breast implants, but I wouldn't think they would contain any compressible material. Thus they couldn't explode. Plus, I don't think they should discriminate against big breasted women. What say ye engineers out there?
Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-30          126868

Technically and genetically they would be discriminating against small breasted women.

I am not sure I buy into the whole notion anyway. Back in the old days when I worked in surgery, the implant material was a sealed sack of silicone. The big lawsuits were about the sack breaking and the silicone migrating around the body creating all sorts of havoc.

If the pressure is low enough in a space vehicle to create such issues, then I suspect it would be too low to support human life.

We then would have to start wondering about high mountain passes and depressurized aircraft, etc. ....

View my Photos
FrogLick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-30          126869

Based upon my knowledge of manned spaceflight having worked at NASA for quite a few years, the cabin environment is not all that reduced in pressure - somewhat similar to aircraft flying at altitude. Also based upon my knowledge of breast implants, they are fluid filled (usually saline these days) and not subject to atmospheric pressure changes any more than the hydrolics on your tractor. Okay, maybe comparing breasts to tractor hydrolics just shows how far over the edge I've gone! In any case the most danger of implant rupture would be from severe trauma to the chest. Worrying about implant rupture following severe chest trauma in space would be the least of my concerns. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-03-30          126876

Who changed my subject title "A question of utmost importance?" I would think that in the just for fun forum everyone would know it was tongue in cheek. :(
Dave ....

View my Photos
FrogLick

2006-03-30          126880

I certainly didn't take it as a serious concern but having worked at NASA I know how dumb they can be from time-to-time even with all the brilliant minds there. Certainly had to respond to dumb concerns in a serious manner more than once. BTY, be careful where you put your tongue... ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-30          126881

Frog

How about the millions spent to develope a pen that wouuld write in space, even upside down and all we had to do was to watch the Russians, they used a Pencil.......
I will gladly volunteer to study this suspicion further, I will need some Large breasted subjects, both Implanted and Natural, and I think under the age of 30 would be proper and good figures so we won't need to waste fabric etc making the Suits, actually the suits would be TOPLESS and I would need some tools for good examinations.
My only delimma is what happens and what shall I do if one does EXPLODE????? WOW! what a horrible thought, that is worst than the Poodle in the Microwave. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-30          126882

Frog

How about the millions spent to develope a pen that wouuld write in space, even upside down and all we had to do was to watch the Russians, they used a Pencil.......
I will gladly volunteer to study this suspicion further, I will need some Large breasted subjects, both Implanted and Natural, and I think under the age of 30 would be proper and good figures so we won't need to waste fabric etc making the Suits, actually the suits would be TOPLESS and I would need some tools for good examinations.
My only delimma is what happens and what shall I do if one does EXPLODE????? WOW! what a horrible thought, that is worst than the Poodle in the Microwave. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-30          126891

Magnum,

I changed the title so that others who might be interested in this topic could find it via Google. Note the ads now are related ;-) Hope you don't mind.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-30          126892

I wonder if they would spin their heads when they explode like the Fembots.
If this is space on the cheap they may be running pure O2 like apollo. In this case it would only be at the 1/6 normal pressure. Dissolved air in the silicon or saline solution could come out and expand. If you like them the size of beach balls send them to space. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-30          126893

Errr, ummm, Dennis..... you said "Note the ads now are related."......

The first ad that came up was "Weigh with your loader".

I sure hope the two are NOT related....... ;->

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-30          126899

Dennis,
two of the ads I saw were: Sears Parts and Replaement Parts Cheap.

Might agree with Murf here.

Could this be a real safety issue with CUT's and no cabins?

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-03-30          126904

No Dennis, I don't mind. I was just wondering.
Dave ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-30          126917

Murf most of ads I am seeing are for strightening your teeth, must be money in that business I know one of my kids is headed that way. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login