Go Bottom Go Bottom

High property taxes driving a new revolt

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-13          126028

This article points out how in my opinion government holds our private property hostage and extorts ever growing larger amounts of money from us at gun point and threat of siezure. I suppose this begs the question............. if land prices went down.................... would property taxes go down proportionately??? If any private citizen were to engage in this type of activity.......... it would be called "Racketeering or Organized Crime".

Several states eye moves to cap tax growth after property boom.

By Patrik Jonsson | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

ATLANTA – In Orford, N.H., a tin-roofed hunting cabin worth $10,000 was recently assessed at $200,000, just for its mountain view. Taxes on the cabin and its outhouse skyrocketed.
Around Lake Tahoe, along the California-Nevada border, property taxes have shot up 135 percent in the past four years.

Residents of Beaufort, S.C., pay $17 million more in property taxes today than in 2000.

Welcome to the flip side of the real estate boom. Years of rising home values have boosted property taxes steadily. Now, homeowners across the United States are fighting back.

"Real estate growth and real estate boom seem to be happening all over the country and [property-tax revolt] is an inevitable consequence," says Roger Sherman, a property tax expert in Boise, Idaho.

This year, legislative proposals, citizen initiatives, and lawsuits are on the agenda in at least 20 states. These new efforts reflect both residents' distrust of how their property tax dollars are being spent and concerns that rising assessments are driving working-class people out of popular towns and cities.

Tax caps are not new. California's Prop. 13 initiative in 1978 capped annual tax assessment increases at 2 percent until a property is sold, a law that is still on the books. Nevertheless, the steady rise in home values has meant that local and state governments are increasingly reliant on property taxes as their No. 1 revenue stream. Last year, those governments collected $339 billion, according to the Census Bureau, some $2,750 for every home in America.

This perceived shift of the tax burden onto residential properties is behind the various tax revolts. It also doesn't help that often tax bills reflecting double-digit increases are mailed out at Christmastime - notices that affect older and long-term homeowners the most.

"The intensity of outrage has not been this high since Prop. 13's heyday," says Pete Sepp, spokesman for the director of the National Taxpayers Union in Alexandria, Va.

Reducing property taxes, however, may curtail local governments' ability to raise money for schools and services, some critics say.

Others don't see what all the fuss is about. Since the property tax is determined and spent locally, it is the fairest of all taxes, experts say.

"You think [the property tax is] where the revolt should not come, but it does," says Helen Ladd, a property tax expert at Duke University in Durham, N.C.

Revolt is in full swing in Incline Village, Nev., on the shores of Lake Tahoe.

There, Maryanne Ingemanson's tax bill is now $80,000 a year for a 5,000-square-foot house. She and a group of residents raised $400,000 to fund a lawsuit claiming recent assessments are unfair. Last week, 17 residents won a battle against the tax assessor when an elected county board threw out the new assessments.

Of course, many believe homeowners should be glad that their homes are worth more, says Ms. Ingemanson. But many people - especially the working class and those on fixed incomes - can't always afford the new taxes and have to leave. "This runaway taxes situation is driving people from their homes," she adds.

Story continues below

'These are essentially back-door tax increases that give government no incentive to be efficient or responsive.' -Georgia State Rep. Lindsey

South Carolina's 3 percent cap

South Carolina last week passed a law that caps the increase in property assessments at 3 percent per year.

Many Georgia lawmakers are backing a measure to put a similar cap in the state constitution. The bill's sponsor, first-term state Rep. Edward Lindsey (R) from Atlanta, argues that it's unfair to hit homeowners with a big tax boost years before they sell their home and profit from its increased value.

"Not even the IRS is so bold as to tax people on unrealized gain," says Mr. Lindsey. "These are essentially backdoor tax increases that give government no incentive to be efficient or responsive."

Georgia school superintendents say the measure would make it more difficult to raise needed cash for the state's schools since schools would have to go to the voters for additional funds.

"The fervor for doing something about property taxes seems to be unusually high," says Herb Garrett, executive director of the Georgia School Superintendents Association.

Should you get taxed for a view?

Assessments can vary according to a community's affluence and aesthetics, such as views of mountains or lakes. Tom Thomson, leader of the "Ax the View Tax" movement in New Hampshire, objects to taxing people on intangible qualities such as a view. "It's another process of dipping into taxpayers' pockets without any legislative process, and that is taxation without representation," says Mr. Thomson, son of the late Gov. Meldrim Thomson Jr.

To be sure, higher assessments alone don't mean higher taxes. But the total tax burden on homeowners rises when local governments do not decrease the tax, or millage, rate when property values spike.

"Reassessment has been so big in many communities that local schools and governments have gotten huge revenue increases without ever having to vote on it, so they sit back and take advantage of the largesse," says South Carolina state Sen. Scott Richardson (R) of Beaufort.

But government should move carefully and try to "smooth out the bumps" of rising property values rather than initiate dramatic reform of a tax that is "basically fair," says Bill Fox, an economist at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.

"You don't want to strangle government, but you want to make sure that government is not unduly benefiting from unique circumstances in housing prices," he says.

Tax revolt in the states
In the wake of the real estate boom, lawmakers in several states are pushing to keep property taxes from skyrocketing. Among the initiatives:

• Idaho: Lawmakers are mulling over eight bills limiting property taxes. One would revise the "homestead exemption," which now keeps the first $50,000 of a home's value off the tax rolls. The bill boosts that to $100,000.

• South Carolina: Having capped the rise in property tax assessments at 3 percent per year until a home is sold or improved, the legislature is now considering a rollback of property taxes, replacing them with a hike in the sales tax.

• Georgia: Many lawmakers are backing legislation that would put a similar 3 percent cap into the state constitution.

• Nevada: Protesters are gathering signatures for a citizen initiative that would require the state to refund taxpayers if state revenues rise faster than inflation. They also want to cap the growth in property tax bills at 1 percent per year.

• Connecticut: After an uproar over massive assessment hikes for lakefront properties around the state, state officials have ordered cities and towns that have seen property tax spikes to calibrate disputed assessments to "comparable" properties, based on records of recent sales

Link:   High property taxes driving a new revolt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
wingwiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-13          126031

Chief

You can't really blame the Govt for Property Taxes. They were created by the population who yearned for Services and then had to create new ways to pay for these services.
To me they are an Illegal Tax but because so many states have created them they have become the NORMAL.
I just had a State-wide Property Assessment and my value shot up like 80%, I noticed that I was being billed for Views and when I went to Grive my taxes. The State Lister Insisted I had a View. I said to her "You spent less than 10 minutes on my property and you never knocked on my door and yet you are going to argue with me and I have lived there for 20 years?" When I told her that the trees of 20 years ago, Had grown and there is NO View left even if you got up on my roof, I was able to have that taken off. I was also billed for several Outbuildings which by the League of Cities and Towns are not suppose to be taxed. She even compared me to three homes that were sold within a 20 mile radius. I told her, "yeah! but they aren't on back roads, they don't suffer from a Mud Season and they aren't eaten alive by Skeeters, how can you judge what a home sells for 20 miles away?" She also said my house was in a better part of town. I stood there for a couple of hours and listen to 5 grievences prior to me and at least three after me and she told them all that they were from the better part of the town. "I told her our town had 11 miles of backroad and no street, two stop signs and all dirt roads, so which part of town was the BAD side?"
As long as people keep voting for newer Town Buildings and more services they are going to keep raising their own taxes. When you have a municiple school system, one town can vote against the budget and if the other towns in the Union pass it, you are S.O.L. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-13          126032

You may want to check again with your tax assessor. In Tennessee their is a property tax provision called "Greenbelt" which reduces your property tax to approx. 1/4 of what it would be IF you qualify. To qualify, is must be at least 15 acres in size and be agricultural, forest, or open grass space.

I agree that property taxes are an ILLEGAL tax as well. They are also UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Another means for the JBT's to steal and control private property. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-13          126033

Since I live in South Carolina I would like to add to some of this. It is my understanding the sales tax idea died because it would have such a negative impact on tourist. Well still would have been about 2 per cent less than Tenn which has a large tourist economy (much of my tourist dollars go there).

Our county (includes Myrtle Beach) took a termendous increas close to doubling. On one little piece of land I offered to sell it for the value they set. They do not vist all properties here, do a lot of it by looking at tax maps. On that piece of property I send in all kinds of info on why they were off in the value (process they want) and they paid no attention to it. I had to sit in there office and tell them 3 times before they understood it was not on a public road.

Property taxes have already become the leading issue on this years local elections. We will see single issue voting within our state on this issue.

By the way, our county with such a large increase is already letting it be know they need more money next year and we have a surplus.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-13          126034

I forgot to add my sister lives in Illinois and she has same kind of dumb deal there. She ended up with law suit threat and they acknowlege they were way off base on her value. High of course.

She found a person in the tax office that helped her in her battle. Rare.

I do disagree with the thought we are paying those taxes at least in our state due to our voting for such and such. Our county loves to close a school and let it fall in and then sell it while our other part of the county is building offices when they could have used the too small closed schools. Our school board is very hidden in our county. Very hidden. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-13          126038

Chief

Up here in Vermont we have what is referred to as LAND USE and you need to have 25 acres or more and the land claimed to be used for LAND USE has to be Agriculture or Forest. Alot of FLATLANDERS move up here and buy a 100 acres, hire a few people to come in and cut a few trees and then plant a few more and claim they are a TREE FARM... really. as long as they show a $75 earned per acre claimed they are Golden. so if they claim 10 acres of their 100 acres they only have to have earned $750, Hell one tree can bring in a few grand (Cherry).They pay much less tax for Land Use than for no-land use. They sell alter on and wow! they turn a bigger profit on account the rest of us idiots have been paying their overhead for years.
I have only 10.5 acres and I hunt on it, cut my own Firewood, have a big garden, raise Turkeys and Chickens and can I claim LAND USE/ nope! I use it more than that damn Banker down the road, He can I can't so not only do I pay my taxes, I pay a share of his as well.
The Consitution speaks of Consumtion Tax and I don't see where a person who finally has saved up enough to paint his house should have to pay more in taxes when he does, on account it raised his Property value.
When I was reaccessed I also asked, my house ain't worth what you are telling me it is worth and if I do all of the repiars that it needs will it increase the value or were those repairs considered to be apart of the accessed value? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-13          126039

wingwiper, I think I would be looking into buying another 15 acres that joins the 10 acres you already have or buying a parcel of land 25 acres or more in size and selling the 10 acres or developing it. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-13          126041

here's my two cents:

In addition to it being illegal, the property tax is also immoral - how can you justify taxing someone based on what the sale price of a property is, if there's no intent to sell it?! I just don't know what goes on in the heads of those who support reassessments and all this insane spending. My neighbor is a really nice old guy, but his attitude is - well, we live in the greatest country on earth and we pay our taxes for the priviledge of living here. What the hell?? How do you argue with an individual like that? They just don't get it that it's MY MONEY and I have a God-given right to decide how I want to spend it. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-13          126044

Can't buy any more I am surrounded my National Forest and that is what makes mine so unique. No chance of having a neighbor. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-13          126048

I asked my Asser once, Hey you are telling me what my property is worth and I have to pay taxes on that assessment so if I can't sell it for that HIGH number you claim it is worth, do I get a Tax Refund? It was a very loud NO! and I was annoying them... Weird how even the people who pay taxes if they become a part of the system how they so quickly turn against us as if we are the weird ones....... Like a School Board Memeber..... ....

View my Photos
dsg

2006-03-13          126068

This is the type of subject thats gets me SO upset that I have a hard time putting my thoughts into typed words. I DO think we are being raped by our government/Politicians so the only thing I can offer is my version of the following statement from the first post.

"You DO want to strangle government, and you want to make sure that government IS unduly benefiting from unique circumstances in housing prices," :))

David

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-13          126075

Just a thought, the government if it was a business would have had to file for bankruptcy over 100 years ago and the worst has been since! ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-13          126077

Art,

I represent that suppository remark, its kind of nice working for a company that makes it's own money. LOL ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2006-03-14          126089

Where do I enlist? ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-14          126091

Let's be fair in Love Hate and War.
Property Taxes in Vermont, do NOT go to Government, they go to Schools and to the town. We Vote and each time someone says "Hey! we need to build New Town Garage" well the town share goes up and what the people keep forgetting is tha DAMN School System. When I was in H.S. we had 16 Superentendents and now the state has 66. Look at those budgets and then would someone tell what they do?
The Schools have Unions (N.E.A.) that stands between the Taxpayer and the recepeint of the taxpayers money. I mean the Union dictates to the taxpayer and yet the taxpayer is suppose to have rep[resentation. hmmmm. School Boards as worthless as tits on a Bull. They usually are taken over by the arministration of the schools and once in a while a memeber will take a stand. On election day, most people don't vote because they feel it isn't worth their time and meanwhile every School Official Votes, to protect their own paychecks. It ISN'T about Education any more it is about Benifits and retirement. We the voters have created our own beds and we can blame Government from now until Hell freezes over, but the one to blame is staring back at you in the morning when you shave. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-14          126092

If you ask me, we don't even need public schools; these schools have become the worst investment of public funds since the space program. Just give me the 5 grand that I pay into the schools as part of my property taxes and let me decide where I want to educate my kid. I'd do a better job with education doing it at home than the half-baked "education professionals" do in public schools. We're all so concerned about our rights, but what about our right to our children?! They MANDATE that I give up my kid for 8 hours a day, they train him in anything but basic literacy and science and, as an added slap in the face, I have to pay for it myself!! ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-14          126096

Horse

The facts that the Dept of Education or the N.E.A. does NOT want you to know is that Home Schooled kids are scoring higher in S.A.T. Scores.
We have a school here that is for grades 1 thru 6 and has 270 kids and every day I drive by I have counted 86 cars in the parking lot, regardless the time of day. 86 Cars for 270 kids? wow! now add in bennies and Insurance etc.
Teacher's Salaries do NOt include Helth Insurance, Socical Security etc, those fall under Fringe Benifits so when you hear about a Teacher being paid $56000 per year (200 Contract Days) that doesn't include what is normally deducted from yours and mine Gross Pay.
The Education System is the BIGGEST MONEY sucking problem that we have, and we the STUPID TAXPAYERS pass their budgets year after year, because we feel our kids would suffer if we didn't. Plus they have us devided into Unions or Districts to make it harder for One Voice in One Town to be heard. We Vote for these changes, thinking they will be good and they end up biting us in the rear end.
VOTE Damn It, everyone needs to VOTE and be heard. EVERYONE, no excuses accepted, if Iraqis will stay in line to vote and be shot, then we can Vote here. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-14          126101

Does anyone know how property taxes were imposed on residential dwellings that generate no income? What's the history of that? Now, I see the logic of taxing the land that grows timber or what have you. But how can a retiree on social security pay upto $10,000 in some parts of NJ, for a 3 bedroom ranch situated on a quarter of an acre? This is as bad and just as aggravating as eminent domain. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-14          126102

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Kmart blue light special light flashing! You made the connection horse farmer! That was one of the reasons I posted this thread. Private property taxation is a form of eminent domaim abuse. The government forces you to allow partial ownership of your property at gun point (literally)without compensating the owner and then extorts money (again literally at gun point).

I will have to disagree on your comment about "Now I see the logic of taxing the land that grows timber or what have you." If you support this then you support taxing the "a retiree on social security pay upto $10,000 in some parts of NJ, for a 3 bedroom ranch situated on a quarter of an acre". The logic is to tax (read steal) money from property owners in as many ways and methods as can be gotten away with.

The point being that once dollar we have earned have been taxed, they cannot constitutionally be tax yet again. In this case if I buy land with my taxed income dollars, tax the land is yet again taxing my dollars which I have already paid taxes on. By the way......... income taxes are WAY unconstitutional as well; as is income tax witholding.

Kinda falls into the premise that we can all hang together or we shall surely all hang separately that I believe Ben Franklin mentioned.

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-14          126103

wingwiper,
your're absolutely right on SAT scores. In addtition to higher SAT scores I would add lower STD and pregnancy rates as well. Public schools were started in MA, I believe, and included strong religious traning as one of the primary objectives. how far we've gone...

Chief,
You're right on. I said I can see the logic behing taxing commercial properties, I didn't say I agree with that logic. On the other hand, only a man with a conscience of a thief (or a municipal employee) would see nothing wrong with taxing people who make no income on the thing being taxed. That was my point. But you're definitely right. I am personally for instituting "use taxes" as the ONLY form of taxation in the US. Drive on the highway? - pay a gas tax. Send your kids to school? - pay the tuition bill. Want to vote? - pay a poll tax. Want legal representation? - get a gun. (just kidding on the last one) :) ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-14          126104

Chief

Government did NOT impose Porerty Tax, towns and cities did and it was originally started to pay for the services such as Libraries, Police, Fire Dept, Schools etc. It has grown and gotten out of hand. I have som eold property tax bills from Bridgewater, Vermont dated in the early 1800s and the proterty tax then was NOT based on value but instead of quanity, it was 1 cent per acre. James Claghorn was the Collector and it is neat, maybe I can scan one and post it for you all to see, I have several.
Income Tax is Illegal because according to Senator Biden of Illionois, he went to every single state to see how the Bill was ever ratified. He found that only 23 states had raified it and the Consitution clearly said it had to be 75% Once he found that the Bill had NEVER been properly ratified he wanted to find out how it had become an amendment in February of 1913 so he went to the Senate chambers to see how it was logged in to the Senate log, he could find NO entries. There are many websites that you could google and read for your oewn opinion, but he had invited Clinton and the Treasury Dept to meet with him and his lawyers in Albany New York back in 98 and no one showed up.
Property taxes fall under the guidlines of the League of Cities and Towns and NOT of State or Federal Government. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-14          126105

Actually property taxes are quadruple taxation in many cases: say I pay the income tax on my salary (tax 1); then whatever measly leftovers I'm allowed to keep I'll invest in stock and grow it a few years - and pay a hefty capital gains tax at that point (tax 2!); then if I use my proceeds to buy a vacation home (by the time I'm around 75) - I'll be paying taxes on that too (tax 3!!). Then when I crook over, I get to pay taxes again in the form of the so called "inheritance tax" (tax 4!!!). Is this some kind of a joke?! ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-14          126106

Horse

Poll Taxes were deemed illegal years ago, you DO NOT have to pay in order to VOTE, that would kinda demean the Right to Vote....
The U.S. Consitution only speaks of CONSUMTION TAXES ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-14          126107

wingwiper,
I see nothing demeaning in a poll tax. Elections are expensive and must be paid for and a poll tax is another form of a consumption tax where you're literally "consuming" the election process.
Instead, in this country the bottom 25% of earners don't pay any federal income tax yet have the right to vote. It's what I call representation without taxation and it has to stop. If you don't pay into the system, you should have no say on how it's run. That's the way I see it. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-14          126110

Horse

What other Rights should be sold to the individuals?
The Right to Vote can NOT be a Right if you have to pay..
Do you also Pay for the Right to free Speech? People pay taxes at the pump, in their paychecks, in their products, etc etc, they should not have to PAY to voice their concerns at the Voting Booth.
Those bottom 25% earnings with Proper leadership from the rest of us, will someday become the leaders of tomorrow and will repay in Higher Taxes as they earn more. I have two daughters that pay no taxes and they just graduated with Degrees and there is no doubt in my mind they will be paying a lot of taxes. I have urged them to vote since day one and if they DON't Vote they have no RIGHT to complain about the results from those who do. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-14          126115

Wingwiper,

If this country was ran like a business, we wouldn't have to have ANY taxes. The Justice Department and the Defense Department (which are the only government bodies worthy of our support) could be financed with the interest income on the earnings this country could make selling federal lands and charging concessions for mining and logging. Add to that import tariff revenues and we'd be set. But being that most everyone wants something that they haven't earned, we have to pay for it somehow with taxes. Which brings us to elections. Tell me, how do elections get paid for? The answer is - with taxes. So the manner in which these taxes are collected is the only issue to debate. I would prefer that only the users of the "election" service pay for it. If you want to pay for it from some other source, you need to levy a general tax, which is what I'm trying to avoid. Because, once you have a general tax (1)it can be used for all the things you never wanted to pay for (2) it can be increased at the whims of the politicians (3) it can be used to grow the government monster; and our goal, as David wrote earlier, is to strangle the government instead of constantly growing it.

With respect to your children, what is there to be concerned about? I am not talking about full time students or retirees. I am talking about dead beats on welfare or other social programs like public housing. Let me put it this way: when a decision is to be made in your household, who has the vote? You and your wife. Your kids, when they were of school age, I assume, had little influence in matters of importance, as far as their opinion was concerned. It should be the same with society in general. Those who are responsible enough to pay taxes should be entrusted with decision making power and those who sit on their asses all day, watching Opra and complaining about civil rights, should get a job. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-14          126119

Horse

Reread what I wrote, I don't think you are very experinced in the category of raising GIRLS. I have a wife, and THREE DAUGHTERS and even the Dog is a FEMALE, I earned the money, they had all of the say and my Vote was NIL. So would you call that Taxation without Representation?
The Consitution says you have a RIGHT to vote, therefore you can NOT tax anyone or charge anyone for that RIGHT, regardless how it is paid for.
Deadbeats have a Vote and they can vote for the Factory to locate in their area to bring more JOBs while the rich retired Banker on the hIll. might not want it. The People have the power to make change and that POWER lays in the process of being apart of the Decision making.
We can NOT blame the people we vote for, for the situation we are in we can ONLY blame ourselves for re voting for the same people. I am willing to place a bet that at least 40 percent of the people I know, who have Brains and good education, DO NOT VOTE. Nothing will get me more fired up then to listen to someone bithc about my Country and then in their next breath tell me it is a waste of time to VOTE.
Everything you do in Life is based on a choice. You make the decisions that put you where you are and no one else. If you don't like the house you live in or the job you have or the town you reside in, that is your fault and not mine. I live with the results of my own decisions and I have made enough bad ones, I need not inherit someone elses.
You have a legit complaint. I would say that do NOT turn BITTER for people will turn off their hearing aids when you do, but use tack and research and you will get the change you seek. Many people belly-ach about Bush this and Bush that and then they plug another video into the DVD and open anothe rbeer until the next time they feel a need to complain. Keep the Faith. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-14          126120

wing,

5 females in the household... I feel for you, man. Does mother-in-law visit often? :)

I bet the dog is the most reasonable one, too. :) ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-15          126142

Horse
I have a 120 pound Alaskan Malamute and Malamutes are known to be real BITCHES. She bitches me out worst than rest of the family. Plus, when she comes in out of the rain, it is usually MY side of the bed she runs for. Naw! None of these females are the least bit reasonable. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-15          126152

I have a belgian sheepdog - she's nowhere as big as your dog (90lb?), but she's real nasty - bit my grandmother once. Her favorite hobby is chasing down the bicyclers on our street - I'm not sure whether they enjoy the challenge, but they sure do pick up the speed then they see her bearing up on them.. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-16          126183

Wingwiper

No wonder you are so mean, LOL I thought it was just the marine in you but it is all the women. You are not allowed to express yourself around the homestead. Man I have a wife and daugther, I sided with them and blamed whatever on my son. And then I got a tractor.

Let me get this right if you dont vote you cant complain. I think you paid for the right to complain when you pay taxes according to this post, property taxes. Propery taxes maybe the way to collect poll taxes. The ones who do not vote can blame us for screwing up the whole system with the ones we helped in office. Horse farmer is going to be taxed 4 times when all is said and done I think he is allowed to complain. If I voted or not I am all paid up in the complaint dept.
As for dogs the sorry ass neighbor killed both of mine with his pit bulls. So now the new law is if it leaves your yard it dies HIS RULES. He is in the market for two new dogs. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-16          126191

SG8NUC
I still say, If you DONOT VOTE you have no rightto complain. You gave up that Right when you made the decision not to vote, thereofre you should NOT be the least bit concerned with who won or what issues are important. It is a really Plain and simple thing, if you Vote you tried and you are involved and you participated in the system. We have enough BACK SEAT DRIVERS don't need no more, we need people who are more action and less words.
Mean? who me? I get it all the time here, "You have to eat'' "Why are you gaining weight dad?" Try to get these girls to help, well Hell will probably freeze first. My ole Lady is a Good worker and a Good cook, it is the Daughters to learn all to soon that they can get around Dad, by getting Mom to say Ok, even the Dog hangs out with her more.
Find out what Home Insurance your neighbor has and then call them up and tell them he has Pit Bulls, his Insurance will either be dropped or skyrocket out of sight... Don't get mad, get even... LOL.. Love the taste of sweet revenge.... ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-16          126199

WingWiper

Read it again his pit bulls went to dog heaven with mine. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-25          126647

Here is one for you
I had a storage building listed as owned by my company Budget Homes, CO.
It was originally appraised at $300 and since It was business property it was depreciated a set percentage each year.
Now one would think that after the value had depreciated down to zero that would be the end of the taxes on it.
Not so the county then changed the owner ship from budget homes to L brown and reappraised the building for 500.

How can a building that started out at $300 and depreciated down to nothing in 5 years be worth 500 dollars 5 years later?
What gives the county the right to give sombodys property away to someone else?

=====Now here's the kicker: come to find out the building was never taxable to begin with no matter who owned it or how it was used because it wasn't real-estate.
I must have paid this illegal un owed tax for over 30 years.

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-03-25          126649

My land and school taxes on 2 acres are $9,000 per year. I can't put up a shed for my tractor without incurring new taxes. My taxes are going up about 6% per year. The school teachers have a contract that guarantees them 5% per year. People are moving up from NYC so we need to build more schools and that will cost me another $1000 per year by 2010.

Forget about whether these taxes are consitutional or not. I think there are lots of people on the take. People that have lived in the town forever become part of the infrastruture and somehow this money makes it into their pockets. Everyone is guaranteed a 5% pay hike every year while industry caps my retirement and hasn't given me a raise in 2 years.

Eventually the public sector has to come in line with the private sector. Or pretty soon everyone will be leaving these poor people with no tax revenues to pass around at the local pubs. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-26          126673

Get rid of the State Employee and School Unions and let these workers answer Directly to the people who are paying them.
People have to make a Bg Fuss or it will continue.
100,000 Illegals and legal Immigrants gathered in l.A. yesterday to protest the strict Border Proposals and the rest of us go to a Newsgroup and complain... LOL. Guys and Gals we need to give OUR complaints some VOLUMN. Property taxes are only as fair as the enforcers make it.
The School System is the BIGGEST MILKER of people's money, when the kids don't pass the S.A.T.s schools make excuses or try to fledge the S.A.T.s as outdated or whatever. Our system is a failurte and filled with blood sucking people wo want Benifits and shorter contracts and larger pay.
Teahcers sit on their asses and claim they are teaching, they refuse to stay after with students to help. My teachers did and today it is as rare as $3 bills. ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2006-03-26          126680

I can vaguely remember my folks property tax bill back in the 50's -only county,township, school tax and streetlight charge(dad fought that one as we were quarter mile from the last light-we got no benefit). Now on my tax bill there are 13 line items -library debt, intermediate school district, senior tax,local communitycollege, ambulance svc, soldier relief (no one can explain it but there goes a dollar for that) and the list goes on. Too many little pots to throw the money at and it just spills past the pots openings into the bearacracy or there's very little oversight of these little programs. It's amazing to go the the local twnship and schoolboard mtgs and to see only 6-8 people at the twnship and maybe be the only one public person at the schoolboard mtgs. I heard about a meeting called the parent advisory board to the high school, original i thought okay mustbe appointed to be invovled -H***-found out it's an open forum for anyone to attend &go one on one with the principal-its amazing what info one can get there and bring concerns direct to bear -who shows up 1 maybe 3 parents that are already involved with their child-band, sports, etc. People need to break away form the "prime time idiot box(tv)" the media has gotten nearly evryone addicted to the slop being broadcast case point 'reality tv' what drivel.
Thanks for letting me vent my 2cents after tax- ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-27          126696

Woody

That is my point exactly, if you DON'T VOTE don't complain. We have Town Meetings here and it is amazing how few show up to fight the system.
If more people showed up at the School Board eetings you wouldn't have the School Super writting his own blank checks.
We, the people are to blame for what we have done to ourselves. We ignore the kid in the Candy Shop and then blame the kid for eating candy. The kid needs guidance and that is US.
Your 2 cents is always welcome. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login