Go Bottom Go Bottom

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-22          118295

Seems we have a real coyote problem in my area. A couple of months ago the sounds from the back field were that of the neighbors old beagle being attacked. He generally runs the Fields all night chasing vermin but in this case they got him.

This morning the wife let our cat out. Shortly thereafter, I spotted two coyote in the back lot quite near to the mowed lawn area heading into the brush. Rained all day and no sign of our cat, I believe they got her.

Tomorrow will be stealth D day in the fields, as will many evenings until I dispatch those vermin.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-23          118296

It is getting bad all over this area. I've lost a few ducks and geese. Neighbors cats. My boy keeps stray cats, Havahart traps them has them fixed and feeds them some, just so they know where a semi perm home is. They kept the squirrels and mice at bay. He has lost all but 1.

I have seen more coy dogs, Red fox and Gray Fox this year than I think in all my years growing up. I have even seen Weasels this year I can not ever remember seeing one in the wild. I have not seen very many small game critters this year and road kill seems to disappear now.

Wife screamed at me a few weeks ago, Red Fox caught in the act, in the edge of the pond. I keep a 22 on counter with solid lead for snappers. Stung it first shot knocked it down 2nd shot and missed 3 rd shot, it was starting to move pretty fast and range about 40yds.

I have reloaded with hollow pts and have moved 30-06 up to counter. When the pond freezes domestic have no chance. I have killed the neighbors dog in the act also.

Good luck on your quest. A couple of road kill will make a good bait pile.

I'll go to leg traps at night with a bait pile and exterminate all that come near. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-23          118302

Thanks for the advise Harvey. Since there are no dogs running around here at night I am going to try a suggestion someone passed to me.

Today the wife is making chicken parm. I am using one breast and making a special stuffing. Then hanging it in the air out of reach of all but one of those pests. Beyond that, I will bait the field adjacent to my barn window and bring a thermos of coffee. I think my 12 Gage semi-auto with 00 shot and skeet barrel should work well at that range.

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-23          118306

OO buck might be a bit of an overkill, so to speak. The patterns will have big holes after 25 yards with most guns.

Anything you can kill a goose with in terms of shot size should take a coyote down right smart and will carry a better(denser)shot pattern to boot.

There is no need to hang dead chickens to draw them in, a good predator calling CD will do the trick. Your battery powered boom box will work just fine to play it also.

When I lived in Alaska I had friends who took their cats and small dogs on camping trips only to watch them be carried off by owls. There's always something.

It was asking for trouble in some areas to wear a fur hat. Owls would snatch them off your head and sometimes get a piece of you too.

Good luck on your coyote hunt. If you get them there will most likely be another group to deal with in a couple of weeks.

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-23          118308

I can sympathize with guys. One of our manx cats (grumpy) went missing and his brother from the litter will no longer leave from around the house and hangs close to our dogs. We have a pack or den of coyotes that I estimate is at least 30 or more. They woke me up at 3 am the other day and I went outside in my shorts and flip flops to hide and wait to see if they came near the house. They are VERY cunning and warry making them extremely difficult to kill. Around here the coyotes are breeding with domestic dogs and I have seen some cross breeds that are as big as german shepards. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-23          118312

Thanks for the suggestion. I have 00, slugs and assorted other goodies. That CD call sounds great, I will check it out next weekend at Dick's or Cabalas. Suppose that means I will have to purchase something to play them on too. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-23          118319

I am not sure which is worse here the goofy hunters or the coyotes. We would certainly be less trouble here without the goofy hunters changing the gene pool.

The hunting fools next door decided it would be nice to have some pet wolves. Having seen the need to keep a wolf under tight training up north I would not recommend it unless you are a good dog trainer. A wolf is not a dog. The wolves were quite large 100 to 110 pounds. Once they matured they went off to join the coyotes. We now have very large coyote attacking the calves etc.

I have not gone hunting coyote yet. I have not seen them on the property, but here them howl at dusk now and then. They don't seem that far away. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-23          118320

Were I live I never once saw them. Now they are every where just in the last two years. Hell I did not even know they were coyotes till my neighbor told me. Haven't had to the need to get rid of any yet but as they become more brazen I am sure I will. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-23          118323

There is a season on them here, no limit however. I believe you have to do what is necessary to protect your property. Last year one confronted the wife in the back yard just after dark. I can still hear the scream.

What troubles me is that I have heard them at night in several areas around me but now they are showing up in the daylight and eating my pet in my back yard.

I have 15 turkeys in the property, have not seen them for a couple of weeks either.

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-23          118326

I have so many here that it would do little good to try and clean them out, especially since the only problem they generally present is to wake us up 2-3 times a week.

I do have one rule though. If I find one that will not run at the sight of humans, or they hang out right near the house, they are declared lead deficient and they get dealt with. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-24          118363

A fella near my has a turkey farm, although the birds are inside at night, they are out in yards during the day.

He has coyote reduction down to a fine art.

He has a series of plywood and chain link fencing box traps set all around the fields near his place. They have to be out for a few weeks before the coyotes will be bold enough to go near them. Each trap has a switch connected to the door trip mechanism, when the door closes, an 1157 light bulb on top of the trap goes on. From his window at night he can easily see which trap has sprung.

A .22 then ensures there are no repeat offenders.

Best of luck. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-24          118367

Yeah, they populate pretty good. They've stayed away from my place that I can tell so far. But I expect sooner or later I'm going to have to take some down. It's only a matter of time. I don't keep any livestock around for them to bother with, but I'm surrounded by pheasants and gophers.

The satelite install guy started with over 200 chickens this spring. By fall, he was down to just over a dozen. He stayed up at night but never saw anything. Then he stopped home early one day to pick up something. That's when he saw a fox heading in for more chicken dinner. He put a stop to that.

those captive animals and cats make tempting food for coyotes and such. Good luck hunting them. ....

DAMN COYOTE

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-24          118375

No movement yesterday, rained non-stop late afternoon and into the night. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login