Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hey Randy You are going to get WET

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-28          115543

I have been looking at the storm track for Katrina.

Pretty scary... 20 foot storm surge for New Orleans and some reports have the current sustained wind speeds at 170+ mph.

The projected track has it over middle Tennessee by Wednesday.

Batten down the hatches.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-28          115546

Yes is certainly does look like we are gonna get soaked! Hopefully the storm with break up in intensity before it gets up here from the gulf. We have been in a very bad drought. So bad the wells in the area of very low and going dry.........mine included. The hay fields are looking really spotty and the grass is stunted. We need that rain REALLY bad; just not all on one big gulley washer. I will keep you guys posted on how the Hurricane plays out. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-28          115567

These same storm systems are often the same ones that cause our monsoons in the SW. It depends on a lot of things, but when the low pressure hits in that area, the moisture gets driven right into NM in a week or so after the storm is over on the Gulf coast. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-08-28          115569

You aren't the only one. I look to be in the center of the strike box now. Have you seen the wind speeds today? 165 mph earlier. Hopefully it will slow a little over night.

I suspect it will slow a little before it hits TN. Might be carrying my barn roof by then. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-28          115570

Godspeed gentlemen. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-28          115571

Hey! Welcome back. Hope all goes well there in the next couple of days. We have missed your sagacity here about lately. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-08-28          115572

I was working in Mexico for a year. It was a little difficult to keep writing as I only had e-mail at work and not playing with tractors.
I moved the family out just after Ivan and we returned for Katrina. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-08-29          115575

Sagacity, I had to look that one up. I need a bigger vocabulary. :)

For you guys and anyone else in the storm path, good luck.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-29          115580

Well, the rain has started. So far just a light showers no wind. The folks in New Orleans and gulf coast area are taking a pounding. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-08-29          115595

I saw that hurricane coming. Glad I left Tennessee on Friday. Looked ok on Thursday, but now it looks like where I had been working will get a bunch of rain.

I hope everyone makes it. But initial reports I've read seem to indicate the usual amount of stupid people now begging for help. Sigh... I hope the ones wise enough to seek shelter are all ok. Darwin wil take care of the rest... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-29          115596

I too hope all those people in a city that's already below water level are Ok.

Meanwhile I hope it drops as much water as possible in the Mississippi and Ohio River Valleys.

It's due to be here in the Toronto area about dinner time on Wednesday. They are already saying we could get 4" of rain in the few hours it takes to pass.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-29          115615

It is about 12 hours later and WOW! what a change! The wind has REALLY picked up and the rain is a bit heavier and spotty. The wind blew a roof sheetmetal panel loose on my live stock barn so the wife and I backed the truck up to the barn door and I got my Dewalt Screw gun and some rubber seal washer screws to resecure the panel back down. So far so good. I filled up the Cummins plus 20 gallons in cans and got about 20 gallons of gas for the genny just in case. WOW!!!! Talk about sticker shock!!!!!!! I need to get out more. Nearly $164!!!!!

The radio is saying that Florence AL which is about 50 miles to the south of me is without power and debry as well as tree limbs are scattered all over the creation. Further south-southwest of me in central MS; around Picaune; they took are really bad hit. LOTS of damage. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-29          115622

The winds are wipping up to between 35 and 50 mph best I can tell and the rain is whailing down in sheets. I drove around the ranch and the barn roof repair and barns seem to be holding up. I big piece of one of my Bradford pear trees limb is laying in the front yard. The road is just scattered with debry. Hope this settles down soon. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-08-30          115627

2ndhand, what is the final assessment? How did you make out? I hope you and wife are in good health and there was no serious damage to your place. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-30          115629

Any word from Peters? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-30          115631

Compared to MANY others we were VERY fortunate. I sure hope Peters made it through OK. At one point we saw a few gusts perhaps up to 60 mph. The rain came down in a nice steady but windy sheets. We got just a tad over 4 inches of MUCH MUCH needed rain which the ground has pretty much already soaked up like a sponge. There are leaves, limbs, and debry scattered all over kingdom come but mostly small stuff. The only damage I have come across around the ranch house is the pear tree. My barn roof repair stood up to the test. I still have to drive around and check the rest of the property. We again were VERY fortunate in that we never lost power and it looks like the brunt of the storm was expended not too far south of us. ....

View my Photos
taheide
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-30          115632

Damn, looks like it is going to miss IL. We REALLY need it! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-30          115634

I too hope Peters is alright.

I was speaking this morning with a pilot friend of mine who has volunteered to fly relief supplies in to the stricken areas.

He says the upper east end of Alabama was hit pretty hard.

My thoughts and prayers are with those people. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-30          115642

Just heard that the levees around NO are giving way and the water is rising in the downtown district. They had to evacuate all the people in that area now. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-30          115643

Martial law has been declared. They have to get everyone out of there somehow. People are going to die. New Orleans is on its way to becoming a 30 foot deep toxic lake. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-08-30          115648

Yeah, New Orleans was looking good until the levee borke in a couple of places. Reports are saying the French Quarter was spared, but now water is lapping at it's edges and rising.

Anyone on here from Grand Forks, ND when it flooded? Maybe they can provide some advice to the New Orleans folks who probably won't be able to get home for 1 - 2 months. I can't imagine being away from home that long knowing you have nothing to return to.

They have to repair the levees first. Then fix the pumps and start pumping before anything close to repairs can get done. Man I feel for those people down there. This is going from real ugly to catastrophe real quick. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-30          115649

I just minutes ago got the following note from my friend who is presently on the ground in Atlanta GA waiting for clearance to continue on with a load of relief supplies.

"Murf, it's a real bad deal, I just spoke with one of the first pilots back out today, the levees are completely saturated and are now failing, both airports are underwater, they're trying to figure out where they can get us a place to land. They are trying to get one strip open at Louis Armstrong N. O. Int'l. open, but the guy I just spoke to doesn't think that will be possible. The city water system is now contaminated, they had a rupture in one of the main pipes which is in a flooded area and it drew in raw effluent. Both the I-10 bridges north east out of the city are completely destroyed, they won't even let the Nat. Guard use them. If you're feeling up to it we could use your hands for a few days. More when I can."

This is going to be a BIG clean up. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-08-30          115652

Thanks for the update Murf. I've been to NO before. If the bridges are out, then it's helicopter or planes. Either way it's bad for the people still there and those that can't get back. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-30          115654

Most of the pumps that keep the city dry are electric. They say that they can't fix the power grid until the water is removed. Catch 22.

The rest of the pumps are diesel and may be underwater.

The difference between this and other floods is that there is no place for the water to flow except into the city. It sits below sea level and below the level of the Mississippi river.

It is hard to imagine how they will ever return that place to what it was. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-30          115655

Well, hate to say it, but probably the best thing to do is let nature take its course and return the land to what it was before. It really was a dumb idea to build a city below sea level right in the path of major storms. They have been lucky in the past, but not this time. Im listening to WLSAM live on line right now and they are discussing it. Lets hope no one lights a match, there is gas on the top of the water and fire ants as well. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-30          115656

My thoughts exactly taheide. Except for the match. There's a bunch of buildings on fire already so a monster fire is probably just a matter of time. I hope I'm wrong, and also hope they can save all the people on the rooftops first. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-30          115657

Has anyone noticed the stampede of hurricane relief aid offers from around the world??????

Germany has already made their offer for assistance. ....

Link:   German Hurricane Aid Offer

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-30          115658

The quoted Germans are simpletons. And I say that as a guy of German heritage! ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-30          115666

The German link shows some very insensitive comments about a serious situation that blind pols are trying use to support their political positions.

There is no doubt that there is global warming. There even seems to be a coorelation between global temperature and severe weather. The question is whether humans have had anything to do with it or could change things if they wanted to. Many Europeans seem to take it on faith that humans can change climates. We cannot stop volcanoes, earthquakes, asteroids, hurricanes, typhoons, many diseases, flooding, idealogic hatrid or even some large forest fires, but we can change the whole earth's climate. I heard a report recently that EU has been unable to meet their own self imposed Kyoto quotas. One quote that I often hear is that the temperature is higher now than it has been for 1000 years. I have always wanted to know what humans did 1000 years ago to raise the global temperature back then. I am pretty sure that the Americans at the time were not producing as much carbon dioxide as the European Community.

I feel better now. ;-}

I just spoke to another friend in Memphis and he said that they had "larger than average" rain. He is prone to understatement. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-30          115668

Simpleton? Is that the same as idiots?

If global warming started 20 years ago, what the hell caused hurricanes before that?

Go back and read old issues of Time and Newsweek. These same idiots were convinced that the world was cooling 30 years ago and if we didn't mend our evil ways we would have icebergs in Iowa by the year 2000.

Whats next? Global stagnation? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-30          115669

Some political ideologies cannot be implemented without crisis politics. So they have to manufacture a crisis to ram "what's good for the citizens" down our throats. Reason and facts never enter into it. I'm convinced the scientific world is as corrupt as the political one. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-30          115674

AHH a simple fix. Nuke the middle east and blame it on the chinese.

Those puds are a bunch of idiots, global warming HA! Havent we had a few volcanos erupt in the past 20-30 years and dump tons more polution in the air than what the entire planet produces in 20 years? morons ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-30          115675

I am a scientist and engineer and I know for a fact that people in general float a lot of crap. You might take a look at the link below. Maybe this link appeals to me because I grew up in the "Show-me" state.

In all areas of society there are different people with different views and agendas. Those that are the most outrageous seem to get the most press time.

Link:   Junk Science

View my Photos
paulss

2005-08-30          115682

Now the looters are starting. Hopefully they will shoot them and let them float away with the rest of the trash. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-30          115697

Unfortunately (for me), I have had some direct experience with the New Orleans Police. If they are running the looters off it is because they want to get in on the action.

They just might be the dirtiest cops in the hemisphere.

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-01          115800

We faired fairly well here although near the center. We had more damage in Ivan. I really only had downed limbs. Unfortunately it knocked the power out for the internet high speed wireless towers. I had power but could not easily get on the internet. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-01          115804

It's really good to know you're ok. How's the water there? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-01          115806

We had more than 6 inches but I am at the crest of a ridge so had no problems. We don't get much flooding here as there are large flood planes in the river valleys that have not been built on. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-02          115817

Glad to hear you made through the storm OK. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-09-12          116277

A friend and I volunteered to fly down there to drop off some donated medical equipment and bring a couple of people back out. We got back last night.

What a mess, the TV coverage barely shows the tip of the iceberg. They seem to be concentrating on New Orleans, but there is a very large area of countryside that just no longer exists. Period. No trees, nothing, very erie to see first-hand.

Whole communities simply don't exist anymore.

The GPS said we were over a town, looking down all you could see were lines on the ground, when we got closer we could see what the lines were ..... streets. Nothing left but the streets, no trees, not a single building, just a few scattered pieces of debris and some concrete slabs.

God help them.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-12          116279

Thanks for the update Murf. It bugs me how the media is focusing on New Orleans when 3 states got smoked bad. But the media has to feed the democrat political pandering machine...

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-09-13          116359

You should not stereotype all media coverage. I have found all sorts of coverage on all sorts of places damaged by Katrina, its been very extensive. As an aside: cheap shots at various political parties do not add materially to the debate and often serve to homogenise the audience of the discussion board, personally I find this very tedious. Anyway back to the topic: New Orleans got most of the mainstream coverage for some very practical reasons, some of which are:
1) Its a location most people could place on a map, many US folk have memories of New Orleans, how many of us have memories of Picayune? Of course that doesn't diminish the extent of the tragedy there but the reality is most of us know New Orleans.
2) The Geography of the city and the failure of the levees make the disaster in part a man-made tragedy, from a purely weather orientated perspective there is not much more to Gulfport other than "Katrina destroyed all - mankind had little say in it"
3) The human face of the catastrophie take on all sorts of forms in New Orleans, folk who lost their houses, folk who looted, folk who survived days in attics, folk who made the now eerily accurate predictions of flooding, folk who were stranded by authorities. For the rest of the Delta there was not as much depth to the story.
In short the reason that mainstream press focuses on New Orleans is because that is where the mainstream stories are richer and make for better press. Afterall these folks make their money selling information. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-09-14          116379

Ann, you are, of course, right.

It does not change the facts. I realize that the media is in the business of 'selling' us information, more viewers mean more commercial sponsors.

My point was that where the media concentrates, so does everyone else.

One of the towns we went into, Gulf Shores, AL had literally nothing left, not one public vehicle or building left useable, the Fire Hall is standing, but just, and everybody is camping in it, no municipal records, nothing, not even one single house was left standing.

There is no real aid arriving either, trucks roll across I-10 towards Mobile, but don't turn south to them. Celebrities send truckloads of donations, but not to them.

The sad part is I have seen more done, and faster, for foriegn countries than is being done down there.

Best of luck (to them). ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-14          116396

Murf, thank you for summing up my thoughts. Ann deftly diverted my political venting.

With all the coverage of NEw Orleans, the other areas are not getting as much help as they need. The sceens I have found from the other areas are incredibly disturbing. It's unfathonable how entire cities have been wiped clean off the map.

It doesn't play as well as NEw Orleans on national TV. But they need just as much help as New Orleans. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-14          116398

I forgot to add, the New Orleans folks have help in moving to other states and starting over at designated shelters. I haven't heard of any of that for Mississippi, Alabama or other areas in Louisiana. The ones that made it to Iowa from Mississippi or Alabama did it themselves. The ones from Louisiana had a chartered jet. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login