Go Bottom Go Bottom

Man serves time when Dog Kills Cat

View my Photos
lightscapesct
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-09          110863

Hard to believe that the guy got jail time for this.

"SEATTLE May 9, 2005 — A woman who sued a neighbor after his dog mauled her cat to death has been awarded more than $45,000.

Retired teacher Paula Roemer's 12-year-old cat, Yofi, was attacked in her back yard in February 2004 by a chow belonging to her neighbor, Wallace Gray. The dog had repeatedly escaped in the past, according to the lawsuit.

Roemer, 71, said the death of the black and white cat left her with sleep disturbances, panic attacks and depression, causing her to begin smoking heavily. The amount awarded included $30,000 for the pet's special value and $15,000 for emotional distress.

Her lawyer, Adam P. Karp, announced the verdict by Judge Barbara L. Linde on Sunday and said the value accorded to the cat tied a record. In the previous case, a jury in California last year ordered a veterinarian to pay a dog owner $30,000 for the dog's "unique" value, plus $9,000 for veterinary bills.

Gray, who served three weeks in jail and three months under house arrest for an animal control violation, said an acquaintance was taking care of his dog at the time of the attack.

"This is absolutely crazy," Gray said. "I'm sorry she lost her cat, but I had no control over it." "

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-09          110866

Boy am I glad I don't live out there....

Deputy Dog (see picture # 7) has a perfect 13 & 0 record, plus untold Squirrels and other varmin.

The little bugger would be even more expensive out there.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-09          110879

Yeah I had a dog like that too, several in fact. One killed 6 or 7 of the neighbors dogs and anything else she could catch. She would watch the neighbors dogs and let them get so far on out property that she could get to it before it could get home. Neighbor never said a word, he knew better. I had to dig a lot of holes. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-09          110886

I'm sorry guys but I see nothing glamorous to brag about how your dog runs wild and kills other dogs and cats.
Its a sick thread plain and simple...
I'm glad the deuce bag owner got jail because his dog was problematic and serves him right...owners need to control their dog or face the liability. Too many people have a careless attittude about their animals. And dont give a shit about other peoples pets or people for that matter.
I treat my pet like its family and would go to ANY LENGTH in protecting them.

Denwood,
You sound like a neighborhood bully...you had to dig lots of holes and the neighbor was too scared to say anything?
what comes around goes around....dont forget that fact..unbelievable

Real sick thread...

Duc ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-09          110891

Please.... Back in the eighties and beyond every farm had a dog that ran free, many still do. It was their territory and if some loser didn't care about keeping their dogs on their postage stamps, what can you do, lock your dog up when it did nothing but protect the livestock. No one sicced the dog on anything and the dog never left the farm. The loser didn't say anything because he had no reason to, that is why he knew better. It is not that he was not a nice person, just a loser of a pet owner. I was 10 at the time, a huge bully, and the neighbor was a gearhead pothead his late 20's, that raced anything he could tinker on up and down the dirt road so fast I could never ride my bike there when he was home.
Duc, no offense taken, you obviously have the perspective of someone with a limited experience of life and the world around him. Not everyone comes from a postage stamp in a cute little middleclass neighborhood in a subdivision named after what used to be there before the houses, like Meadowbrook, Hickory Hollow or such. I keep my dog on my property and he does not run free unsupervised now that I am the adult. I have chastised 2 neighbors for letting their dogs run in the road or on my property, and like you care deeply for my pets and would dispatch any threat to them unless they were in the wrong. You are not the type of person who causes the problem, because you keep your dog in your control. From your capital letters, it seems you may go to the same lengths to protect you pets if they are threatened while under your control. I am sure your dog never gets out of you control, but accidents happen, the kid opens the door and out it goes. If it runs over to the neighbors and starts chasing the chickens, he has the right to kill it. What goes around comes around and I accept the fact that if my dog accidentally gets away, he may die, but I never negligently let him free. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-05-09          110892

I don't do this very often, but I have to agree with Duc.

Sick thread. ....

View my Photos
Justus

2005-05-09          110893

I too agree with Ducati and particularly liked the statement..."I treat my pet like its family and would go to ANY LENGTH in protecting them." My sentiments exactly. In fact let me repeat, ANY LENGTH!

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-05-10          110897

As I'm sure those who posted originally didnt intend to sound as bad as they did - Denwood's story definitely reversed and needed the most correction...a good thing

It comes down to the type of dog you own, and its propensity to be aggressive. If your dog stalks other animals and kills them, sounds like it should be put down and taken out of the cycle - I bet that will touch a nerve at home when its your own dog. Animal control should be involved here along with the police. I think more should be done to increase and enforce laws to make it criminal and more of a financial liability. Take everything the person owns finacially if they dont realize or refuse to accept responsibility for their dogs attacks especially when its a repeative offender...Aggressive dogs cause the problems, or dogs that turned aggressive from abuse...

accidents do happen and in those cases financial restitution usually comes first or is offered as an option. If its a weekly occurance then the owners at fault and should be held accountable (criminal & Financial) as well as the animal either being put down or placed in a shelter and/or relocated.
Sometimes folks who cant even take care of themselves have pets - and the cycle of neglect continues from childern to pets. That cycle has to be broken - so we should put down the owner :)

Duc

Av8r,
I was not aware we had any discord in the past but I'm glad
this is more aggreeable for both..:)

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-10          110899

Duc, I understand your comments and mostly agree with them.

However, you should bear in mind that our society is based on Justice and Universal Sufferage, equality if you will.

Justice is a sword that cuts two ways, so does equality, sometimes "What is good for the Goose, is good for the Gander" means the roasting pan.

If my dog, which BTW, is incredibly well trained, and does NOT run free, in fact he doesn't leave the property without being a foot or two from mine or my wife's left heel, kills a cat, feral or domestic, he does so because he percieves it as invading HIS TERRITORY.

Further, what makes cat owners so special ? A cat has some special permission to wantonly kill birds for sport and that's OK ? One one of my recent trips into the bush lot behind my house I found the remains of a wild turkey, freshly killed. The paw prints around it were unmistakably a cat's.

As you say, if my dog wandered, I would expect that some harm would come to him, but he doesn't wander, so I have no worry that way.

I was not bragging, just stating a fact. He is not prone to violence, in fact he has NEVER so much as gotten in a scuffle with another dog, he has chased a few away, but never anything more. Likewise with people, he makes a pretty terrible noise, and sure sounds like he wants a piece of them, but has not, and never has he done that beyond HIS own property.

As a closing word, I agree it's a sick thread, especially considering when I looked up the case in question I also read about a guy who got a free walk on a DUI charge "because he has a wife and kids to support".

Now we value cats above humans.

THAT is sick. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-10          110902

Let's also make a very important distinction here.... Many of us live in ares where kind, thoughtful folks "drop off" their pets and drive away. That is a guaranteed problem in the making.

Wisconsin, for example, is trying to figure out what to do with millions of feral cats, some of which have not been domesticated for generations. They are trying to declare open hunting season on them.

Pet owners rise up in indignation, but they overlook one salient fact: these animals are not pets anymore. Barnyard cats are not pets either. They are livestock, bred and used to control vermin.

The farm dog, like his sheepdog cousin, is there to protect the property and livestock against predation by other canines, be they wild, domesticated or somewhere in between.

If he can't do his job, he is essentially "fired" by the intruders and you have to find a bigger, tougher ( or in Murf's case smaller-tougher) dog to stand guard while you sleep.

Most of these rules go out the window in suburbia as there is no livestock and little property to protect. The problem occurs in the boundary areas where uneducated, "unemployed" pets wander into the "working" dog-eat-dog war zone. ....

View my Photos
Oliver

2005-05-10          110904

My dog Oliver (hence my screen name) was an incredibly well behaved Golden Retriever who from the moment I got him to the day he died chased any and every cat he ever saw. A while back I lived in the middle of noweher on a property with two houses. After Oliver and I had been there for three years, a new neighbot moved in next door, and she had two cats. The first day she was there I told her about Oliver's distaste (or taste, depending on one's perspective)of cats and strongly suggested she not let them wander about freely -- she was unconcerned.

Well, every morning and evening Oliver and I went for a walk in the fields. I very dilligently put him on his leash to walk down the driveway and aross the road before letting him run free. Sure enough, one day a cat was in the field and Oliver caught and killed it. Did I feel bad? Yes. At the same time, I was angry -- where was the responsibilty of the cat owner? She moved away not long after and probably bad mouths me and my dog to this day as she continues to take no responsibility... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-10          110905

Precisely !!

There was a case up here in the last year or so where a man & his wife were charged with animal cruelty. There was a great hue & cry over it, but not in a way that was to be expected at all.

The couple had driven into the country and placed a small wooden box in a farm field next to a small bush-lot and drove away. A local saw it and photgraphed them & the vehicle doing so. When the resident went to investigate he found a "cat-nominium" as he called it in the media reports. A wooden den, carpeted and insulated, containing a female cat and a litter of kittens.

When the SPCA investigator questioned them they stated they were tired of trying to place kittens and the cat wouldn't stop killing birds and bringing them home.

So they decided to "set them all free, but it was OK because they had given them a nice house and left them lots of food to eat until they could find wild food of their own".

Now, the (really) bizarre part, when the couple was charged, there was a great outcry about the "animal rights 'communists' persecuting them" for merely "setting some animals free".

News flash folks, these are NOT wild animals, that is not FREE, that is ABANDONMENT. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-10          110906

Oliver's coment reminded me of something that happened years ago when I still lived in the suburbs.

A neighbour had several cats and refused to keep them in or on a leash. When the municipality amended the by-law that dealt with dogs running at large, to include cats, she was in the paper for weeks making a fuss about how unfair it was, inhumane even, since cats needed to roam in order to get their 'exercise', it was good for them she claimed, essential even.

A short while later I spotted one of her cats dead on the street in front of her home while walking my dog early one Saturday morning. Thinking I was doing the right thing I knocked on her door (she was already up and moving about I could see) and asked if it was hers and might asssit her in giving Fluffy a proper burial. She went into a fury, railing about thoughtless motorists as she walked out into the road. Her shouting soon drew a crowd.

When I had finally had enough of her tirade I interjected.

I said "Listen lady, don't blame the motorist. The cat died of natural causes in this case. You let him run free for for years and hunt at will. He finally just got too much IRON in his diet. Now shut up and get over it.".

She was so shocked she shut up and walked back into her house. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-05-10          110907

The reason for my responses was that it was more than cats that were effected, and it appeared that it was encouraged by the owner (poster). It had since been clarified as not the case.

As this thread progresses its clear that overall its more of a human problem, than that of the animals. Pets are pets (dog, cat, bird, etc) and if another animal is problematic
then it needs to be dealt with, as well as holding the owner liable. I fenced in my 2.5 acres, so my harmless Lab or giant mastiff would never have a problem on the outside. The other part is to have the animals socialized correctly with people and other animals, so their first instinct is not to kill everythting they see.
I have a douce bag neighbor who gets his german shepard imported from germany. Its an uncontrollable attack dog, in a very nice neighborhood. The thing is bread for one thing only- to kill - its bite is not your basic Shepard bite- He has to walk it late at night or early morning while no one is out. I spoke to him many times that its an accident waiting to happen. He knows if it ever gets out, the dog must be put down immediately. Neighborhood is uneasy about this dog, but he dosent seem to care. He knows how I feel and what I would do if it was out loose. He carries extra liability insurance, I tell him it still wont be enough. I like the guy otherwise but hate him for having this animal at the same time. Its people who truly are the problem and like in my case, attitudes will not change until its too late...

Duc

View my Photos
lightscapesct

2005-05-10          110908

Ok guys, I posted this because I thought it was odd. I was not taking a position of right or wrong.

The irony to me being that cats and dogs have never really gotten along. And it is very very natural for them to pound on one another. Once started in battle I seriously doubt the wisdom of a human intervening to try to stop it.

And what I found unfortunate is that in the US we often see murderers go free, and other serious crimes like stealing confidential documents go with only a slight wrist slap. Here in the cat dog thing it looked like we had a year in our court system, at our expense. A three week all expenses paid visit to a prison, again at the tax payers expense. Then months of monitored in home incarceration again at the tax payers expense.

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-10          110909

2.5 fenced acres is a great environment for a Lab and giant mastiff.

I can't remember how many times I have found giant dogs cooped up in a 400 square foot apartment in the middle of a city. Talk about a ticking bomb.......

I even had one case where the owner keeled over and the cooped up dogs ate him. Yes, you read that right. I still wake up night sometimes with the nightmares of the sights and smells of that house.

Big dogs belong outside if you want to keep them from going mental. If you want to coop a dog up in a tiny space get a Pekingese or a teacup poodle, or just bag the dog idea totally.

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-05-10          110910

I'm glad this thread didnt turn into a total loss....I feel strongly that if its a Pet (dog, cat, rabbit, etc), it should be treated just like another family member (lets assume that family member is treated good !! :)
I worked real hard for my Mastiff to develop great social skills with people and other dogs. He is a imposing giant with strength and size to match. But he is trust worthy and social, and is not aggressive - otherwise I would not keep him. He is too big to deal if he was overly aggresive (220-230 lbs) The flip side is my neighbors dog is trained to kill. I have to say few dogs scare me like that one. It has the expertise to dispatch quickly, and even though he is considerably smaller than my Mastiff, he is trained to maim-(neck, groin, etc).., and my gentle mastiff would not be able to figure that out in time. This dog would just strike anybody or anything it came into contact, and its maybe 2 years old. It does not have anything near the room to roam like my guys do. I'm sure thats to enhance the nasty dispositon of the animal...Its not a pet in any sense of the word. When I run or walk (with family & dogs) past this house I'm armed, ready, and yes -nervous

As for the dog and cat thing, you can train the dog very easily not to go after cats, thats of course if you want to do that :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-10          110911

Duc, I will try to find (or take) a picture of Deputy Dog, playing with his friend Lucifer (that's really his name) a 195 pound Great Dane.

Lucifer is in one of Jacksons doggie classes and after the training sessions the dogs are allowed to play together, except the only one who will play with Lucifer is Jackson. They have an absolute blast together, by the end of which Jackson is soaked to the skin from Lucifer goobers.

When the dogs first met Lucifer's owners were amazed that the only dog willing to play with their 195 pound monster was a little 25 pound Jack Russell terrier.

I merely explained that to a Jack Russell terrier a Great Dane and he are the SAME size.

They now understand and believe that to be the case.

I wish I could upload a movie here, a 25 pound JRT and a 195 pound Great Dane playing tug-of-war with a rope toy is something to see, but not if you have a full bladder. ;->

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-05-10          110912

DRankin,

I can see how that would mess with your sleep -nasty

There was a movie that I think was called "the pack" and I believe it starred Joe Don Baker. It was about an island off the coast of Maine that had a serious dog problem caused by tourists leaving behind their Dogs. Pretty scary movie...

Ducati ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-05-10          110922

What's wrong with people being held responsible for what their dog/pet/children do? Whose fault is it if not his?

Jail time might be a little extreme, but he should definitely be sued in civil courts and forced to pay damages. Can you imagine the anguish of the poor cat owner? Some people's pets are like family, and to have one chewed to bits by a careless neighbor's vicous dog isn't right.

Maybe if people were always held accountable for what their pets (or kids) did, people wouldn't think vicious animals are so "cool" and owners wouldn't let their pets run at large. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-11          110933

To a certain extent I agree, animal owners, also parents, must be accountable for the actions of their little ones, be they 4 legged or 2.

Certainly in this case, the dog, and owner, had a bad track record, and there certainly should be some accounting made of it.

Likewise, owners of animals that run at large by the will or carelessnes of the owner, should have little or no recourse if some harm comes to them, but still bear the responsibility of any damages.

Here in Ontario for instance, there is case law that makes an animals owners responsible if the animal is allowed to run at large and causes an automible accident or the damage to the vehicle even if it gets hit.

Several cat owners have had a nasty surprise when insurance companies came looking for the money they paid out on a claim.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-05-11          110958

Been away for a few days. Back to the original story and personal feelings aside, most states have a LAW that generally goes like this "You will be in control of your animals". This story is factually not much different from one where suppose a dog kills a prize bull calf worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Should the dog owner pay up - you bet, has he comitted a crime - you bet. The fact that it was a cat in this case is irrelevant, there also seems to be some history here with this animal's past behavior. Jail time, well that's the law and I assume it was written originally mainly to protect livestock owners from wanton stock loss due to poorly controled neighbor dogs and the like. Here I assume they applied it to a suburban situation. I suppose you could apply it to a childs hampster that gets lost at school and dose a whole load of damage to electrical equipment, you might have to pay up on "hammie's" behalf. I dont think the story is all that meritous from a "they were awarded how much?" perspective. ....

View my Photos
DeTwang

2005-05-15          111101

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I firmly believe that while dog owners should definitely be repsponsible for the control fo their pet...$45K and 3 weeks in the slammer is competely ridiculous....It was a "cat"...not their first born son.....not their home.......their cat for crying out loud....If a case can be made that their dog is out of control..then have it put to sleep....but to put a man in jail and take $45k in damages is insane!

Whatever happened to the punishment should fit the crime? Man o man, imagine if we treated terrorists, rapists, and child molestors that harshly........the ACLU would have a kaniption fit!

That judge needs to be put to sleep! And the woman needs to get a grip! A little thicker skin would be in order.... I love the hell out of my dog..but if someone elses dog killed it.....no matter how emotional I got, I couldn't expcet the owner to go to jail or give me $45K....

It's "Dogs and Cats"...this has been going on since the beginning of dogs and cats...it's what dogs do to cats, for crying out loud!

I'm not saying that the guy shouldn''t be responisble for the damages his dog did...but com'n..I can't believe some of you are vindicating this whacko judges decision.....It's so completely beyond what is called for here it is ridiculaous...leave it to seattle......the left coast strikes again! ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-05-17          111177

Detwang,
You didnt read the entire thread - it was a pattern with the dog chasing the cat until it finally caught it - its really about time people take full responsibility for their pets and hell lets throw the kids into it as well..:) No more excuses, punishment fits the crime. I bet he wished he did something about his uncontrollable dog now? A pet is a pet, and a uncontrollable pet is a liability - a direct one to the owner. Thats the point and the message of the story and sentence given out. I'm sorry you missed it, most folks understand however and accept the consequences..

Ducati ....

View my Photos
DeTwang

2005-05-21          111323

I understand that there was a pattern......

But 45k and jail time is sooo over the top......If the dog had attacked a kid, it would be a different story....but we're talking about a cat here...

If once 'ordered' by the court to control the dog, the situation is not rectified....lose the dog.....hold the guy in contempt of court if he's openly defying the court....'reasonable' fines....whatever...

Some reasonable compensation to the owner for her loss....but 45k? That's plain ridiculous!

If only our criminal courts would hand out such harsh judgements! They won't force parents to take responsibilty for their kids (who can actually understand the rules), but they sure as hell will send a message to a dog who chases cats!

wonder how much of that $45k her trial lawyer got?

Near my place up north, there is a guy who lets a couple of hounds run around loose.... They follow people and growl...They have followed me a couple times while I'm walking my dog....An old man up here was afraid of them (understandably) so he asked the sherrif what the legalities of shooting the dogs if they attacked him or threatened to would be, the sherrif told him, the guy has been warned, and if the dogs get too close, by all means....

So he carries his revolver when going for walks.....I carry mine as well..it's a good idea anyways being as the area is loaded with bear and cougar......(and mexican nationals pot farmers)......

This is a problem everywhere, but you can't just answer everything with lawsuits...

I'm not positive, but if a dog is not kept under control and comes on your property even down here in the big city......if you feel threatened.......and you make it an ex-dog......I'm pretty sure you won't be facing any kind of charges..

I'm not advocating that people shouldn't be held responsible for their pets, but $45k is one 'hell' of a lot of money!

People can get in an accident while driving drunk and face a fine of a few grand and a suspended license....why should the penalty for your dog killing a neigbors cat be soo much harsher (by orders of magnitude)?

Why can some bully continually harrass and pick on your kid and nothing at all will be done, but if your dog bullies your neighbors cat, you lose your house?

Just seems that the whole system has it's priorities out of whack to me...

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-05-21          111348

Just read the entire thread, phew!! I think I have a new pet?! I am going to find a few (prematurely) abandoned bunnies this summer. (prematurely? Yes usually from a cat in the hood here) Think I will feed them get them accustomed to me and maybe even adopt em (free to roam though Ahemm) I will surely take many many pics of me and poor orphaned fluffy. Now when the time is right I will have to get a pic of my neighborhood (bully) cat, playing with my adopted self proclaimed step child (or rabbit) Usually when I talk about a cat "playing" with a rabbit it is dangleing in its clws,mouth or flying thru the air after being tossed by the cat) If I time this right (wheather its my best buddy (the rabbit) or not, I get a pic or two and claim I am emotionally distrought, cant sleep, maybe my wieght loss/gain came from this episode. How much do you think I can get from the owner (especially if they have a few extra bucks)? Sue them for every thing BUT their kids. (they can keep those rats).
Whatchya think??? Good plan?
PS I forgive all cat owners once for lettin their rats roam free. I may forgive them 2 or 3 or maybe even 10 times also. As soon as I see em killing though? LOL No more kitty in my yard?! PSS I don't get caught either, I don't have stupid on my forhead.
I commend the fence Idea. I also put up a welded wire fence. A little less than a acre is fenced in for my doggie to roam free. n Ther is nothing like opening the door and knowing I wont be sued for my lifes savings! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-05-21          111350

BTW
I am from Wi. Our state had a vote at the DNR public meetings on the cat issue. We resoundingling voted to kill the ferrel cats at will if you have a small game lic. LOL Its been dropped from the agenda. I say we voted overwhelmingly for it only because SOO many cat lovers showed up and it was still beat down.
I used to trap. Let tell you! Most of you here have never saw a fourth generation wild Tom Cat. You would swear it was a bob cat! Also, you NEVER see them unless you trap or get lucky. I would get 2 cats a week in my traps yet I think I saw less than 10 cats in my life whil;e hunting for small game? Go figure! ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-05-28          111668

I am afraid that at some point I may end-up in the slammer because someone sees my cat or rat terrier munching on a poor, innocent field mouse, ground squirrel, or sparrow. When will this nonsense end...it's called the food chain. I agree with keeping pets under control and feel it is the responsibility of the owner to make sure they are controlled, but 45K and jail time for a cat??? Totally rediculous! What I don't agree with is dogs that are bred as attack dogs...those need to be outlawed. By the way, the cat problem sounds like it is out of control...if there is no season, are they ever really out of season? I would keep my .22 close by and make sure it is sighted in...keeps you in practice for the real seasons. ....

View my Photos
Justus

2005-05-29          111680

dklopfenstein, on the one hand you say "It's called the food chain," then you say, "If there is no season, are they ever out of season?" Which is it? I believe that pets should be under control also. I'm a dog man myself (Love retrievers) but if anyone ever harmed something of mine, dog or cat, without damn good reason they'd be needing a lot more than a .22. ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-05-30          111748

My point is that these cats I keep hearing about are wild and the population is growing out of control. There has to be a way to keep them in check, otherwise animals like hawks, owls, and other things higher on the food chain will not have much to eat. It is usually pretty easy for a person to tell a pet from a wild cat...if it trusts people, it's a pet. If it begins to run when it sees you, it is wild. My other point was that animal rights activists are going over the top and often they think that every animal should live full life and die of old age. It just can't happen when they are not on top of the food chain. Pets trully are a gift for us to enjoy and I believe they are placed in our care. I didn't mean for that to be the issue. ....

View my Photos
Justus

2005-05-31          111752

I agree that pets are for us to enjoy and are placed in our care and that they are our responsibility. I do, however, disagree with your statement... It is usually pretty easy for a person to tell a pet from a wild cat..."if it trusts people, it's a pet. If it begins to run when it sees you, it is wild." As I mentioned before, I'm a dog lover. Dogs do not scare me, no matter how mean they may act. I say that because I once took care of the cat of an elderly woman while she was away for a few days. I would stop in her home to feed the cat. Prior to her leaving I had sat there with her and the cat was on my lap just loving my company. I expected it to be that way when the woman was gone. I walked into that home the first time to feed the cat and immediately feared for my life. OK, at least my eyesight. I actually expected the cat to attack me from an unknown location at any time. I had never in my life seen such a transformation and would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it. It was like being in a Stephen King movie. My main point is, here was someone's pet. It was a wonderful pet to that woman and nice to be around as long as she was there. It could have been a child's pet, your pet or my pet. Do you think that cat would have come to you or me if it was outside (which it never was)? Just because it runs away doesn't make it wild. Ideally, I wouldn't want my dog going to a stranger. While I don't advocate letting the population of anything get out of control I can't see the indiscriminate destruction of anything, especially based on whether it runs away or not. Unfortunately, that tactic wouldn't even work in Iraq. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login