Go Bottom Go Bottom

motocycles

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-28          106993

Ever wish you had that old Norton Back.

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

motocycles

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-01          107015

That sure is pretty.

I've wanted a Buell since the beginning, and finally got one...see my pics #12 & #13.

Bill ....

motocycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-01          107019

It's a beautiful bike. It's good that they've made it a truly modern motorcycle with up to date suspension and brakes. I never had a Norton, but I admired them from afar. I'll bet one of these first 100 are very pricey.

It's also good to see that the "Norton Girls" are alive and obviously healthy!!
Dave ....

motocycles

View my Photos
grinder

2005-03-01          107068

Did not dare ask the price, I'm thinking 15-20,000?
My first road bike was a 1973 Norton commando. I found
it in a guy's barn with an inch of dust and 1800 mi.
It was MINT. Some great memories! Went and looked at some new Honda's and Suzuki's today. When you casually mention
that it would be fun to have a bike again and your wife
say's go get one. You keep your mouth shut!! ....

motocycles

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-03-01          107070

To take the wife out of the equasion, just tell her to get her own. Pic 13 is mine, Pic 14 is hers. ....

motocycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-02          107120

Grinder said: "Went and looked at some new Honda's and Suzuki's today. When you casually mention
that it would be fun to have a bike again and your wife
say's go get one. You keep your mouth shut!!"

I don't know which models you're looking at but if you get a chance to ride one like mine (pic #7) I guarantee you'll like it. It's a Honda ST1300 with shaft drive and water cooled V4. These are really made for the long haul and will provide well over 100K miles with just normal maintenance. The power windshield lets you go from a low sporty look to complete wind protection as you ride.
Dave

motocycles

View my Photos
grinder

2005-03-03          107177

How's the insurance these day's ? I am a little dissapointed with the Japanese bike makers. Seems
like they are tring to make HD look a likes with
all the street bikes.
I am just begining to look, going to check out a Beemer.
AV8
I'm not into that whole Harley thing. My wife wouldn't want her own bike. Anyway, you don't take sand to the beach.
I am just looking for a little selfish mental escape. ....

motocycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-03          107188

"I am a little dissapointed with the Japanese bike makers. Seems
like they are tring to make HD look a likes with
all the street bikes."

I hear ya. If you ask the dealers they'll tell you that the majority of the bikes they sell are "cruiser" models. I don't really care for them that much either. I ride 10K + each year, sometimes down into the 30's (temp) and want some decent wind protection.

Having said that I would love to buy my neighbors HD low rider just for having fun. :)

Insurance seems to vary considerably by region. Here in Wisconsin I pay about $350/year full coverage for a bike worth about $12K. Two other bikes I have with liability coverage only are insured for $50/year. It sounds like ins can cost MUCH more in other states.

Have fun looking at beemers. They make a quality machine, if somewhat pricey.
Dave ....

motocycles

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-03-03          107196

Insurance on the 984 cc Buell is <$30/month in WV, 40 y/o male with no tickets, or accidents.

Good luck,
Bill ....

motocycles

View my Photos
grinder

2005-03-03          107198

It would be a used one. (BMW)
Would like to drive due north as far as I can, someday.
Don't care for the HD either. Loud, vibrating,
and expensive to fix.
My brother sold his not to long ago,2003 fat boy?
I drove it a few times, wouldn't want to have to make any quick moves with it. I call it a cult, Lawyer by day E-z rider on the weekend. It is quite the phenomenon.

motocycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-03          107202

Driving north is good. I want to ride to Alaska some summer but I need to take at least 3 weeks off to do it. Some year it'll happen.

You might be interested in the website below. There's alot of good information there for many models of bikes. They run the gamut from HD vrod and Buell owners to the sport tourers to a few who ride total crotch rockets. Many BMW owners are members. Like the constant orange vs green vs blue debate you have to take what some people say with a grain of salt. Especially when they've never owned the brand bike they're running down.
Dave ....

Link:   Sport touring website

motocycles

View my Photos
grinder

2005-03-03          107211

Thanks Dave.
I sent for the Norton info today. The first 100 were $19,900
The next batch due this spring will be $14,900 msrp.
Still a little rich for my blood, but would love to try one. ....

motocycles

View my Photos
dklopfenstein
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-03          107217

I do like the Harley looks...even though I don't have one. Mine is a '95 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 that I bought in '96. There is nothing quite like stretching out your legs and cruising down the open road...especially on those sunny days when there is not really a definite destination in mind. (Those days have been alot fewer for the wife and me since our child came along three years ago.) I'm convinced that I now put more miles per year on my JD 4410 than on the 1500...oh well, both can be seen as a way to get your knees in the breeze...just at different speeds. ....

motocycles

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-04          107246

Harley is 35 miles from me (Milwaukee Wi.) I can stand the sound, ride or even the looks of most harleys. Personel thing I guess. Nothing against the guys who do care for them though just not my bag.
I used to be a die hard rider, from a week or so before the snow was gone till a week or so after it flew again I would ride. Thru thunderstorm warnings and snow to bright sunny days of summer. THEN I got married, wife got pregnant. That spring, my team mate on my pool team took off for work on his old honda 450. Two ten speeders were on one side of the road driving with traffic. One moved over to the other side and when my buddy came up behind them the other crossed infront of him. The bike rider lost use of one of his legs for a few weeks My buddy lost his life. I never did get back up on my Honda V65(1100cc) again. For what ever reason I could only think about my child being father less if that was me. Call me what you want but that affected me so much that to this day all I have ever had since has been a dirt bike. I know we can get killed in many ways but on a bike it just seems to increase the chances. I almost bought a Honda Shadow (used) last summer. Had a down payment on it too. After riding down the road a few times I realized I was nervous! A 1/2 day later I told my self that if I am not confident I can not ride anymore. Maybe it was the stupid thing like a small light 10 speed bike killing my buddy that threw me for the loop. I dont know but what I do know is that I wish so much I could get that feeling back in me to ride again! That feeling of being free, fast and flying running the back roads was better than any high you could get. I miss that feeling but dont have a desire to ride again yet.
Be safe guys!

motocycles

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-03-04          107287

Hey Brokenarrow,

I was getting into your neck of the woods when I drove up to purchase my Buell...Libertyville, IL. First time I've been up that way.

Chicago traffic was pretty bad compared to home.

Sorry about your buddy. I've never had friend nor family hurt on a bike, but it's been 7 years since I've ridden...it feels a lot different. I used to think I was bulletproof...

Good luck,
Bill ....

motocycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-07          107418

Brokenarrow,

Sorry about your friend.

I try to put risk into perspective. I sit on my Kubota about the same number of hours per year as I ride a motorcycle (<200). I think that much of what I do while on the tractor is as risky as riding a motorcyle. Much of the tractor risk is due to the use of the FEL and it's high center of gravity. There is also high risk in PTO attachments.

In both cases, however, experience reduces risk. Once after not riding regularly for about 8 years, I found that my skills were seriously diminished. The problem was I didn't know it, thought I could still ride well, and ran into a ditch on a curve that would normally have been easy. There was no damage but it shook me a bit.
Dave

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login