Go Bottom Go Bottom

2005 Ford F150 - Trailer Electrical Hook-up

View my Photos
mohegan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-17          118023

Hi. We recently purchased a 2005 Ford F150 -- I am having problems getting the electical hook-up to function on my trailers -- I have two 6-point connector trailers and a 4-point connector trailer -- they all function fine with my 2000 GMC Yukon - and they functioned fine w a 2004 Dodge Ram -- but when hooked up to the F-150, I can't get them to function properly -- I've had it in to the dealer -- twice -- still does not function .......... any ideas ?

thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-17          118026

I guess I am not sure and need more information. The 6 point plug on my 97 Ford is completely different than the plug for my 2000 Dodge. The Dodge has the standard 6 point used on the goose necks and Ford had its own variation. I would think the Ford 6-4 adapter should allow you to check at least one trailer. ....

View my Photos
mohegan

2005-10-17          118028

thank you. what happens now, is that I get "running lights", and the right tail light (direction only) functioning -- no brake lights or left tail light (direction)-- is there some sort of 6-point-to-6 point adaptor available ? it seems to me that the "wiring pattern" is different ....... I am at a loss as to how to deal with this .......

thank you ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-17          118032

So the connectors are the same, but seem to be wired differently. Does the 4 block connector trailer have the same problems? Is the F150 a stock trailer connector or aftermarket? ....

View my Photos
mohegan

2005-10-17          118034

yes. same problem on the 4-point connector. the F150 is a "factory installed" towing package...... the standard 6-point trailer connector does "fit" in the receptacle.....

thanks ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-10-17          118037

I always thought there was an industry standard. Do you have corroded terminals. My F250 4 wire covers are always getting uncapped and the terminals are always green or blue from corrosion. I spray an electrical connector spray and that helps.

If it is not corrosion, your terminals are wired incorrectly. If you are not a do-it-yourself kind of person, go to a trailer hitch installer and have them correct it.

If you want to do it yourself, I'd make up short jumpers and connect them to determine what goes where and what works. I always have lots of problems with a good ground connection making none or only a few things work. I also take the lamp covers off and either spray the bulb bottoms with electric dielectrice spray or get a dab of grease on them to ensure the circuit is correct. Likewise at that time I use a light meter to check for power. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-17          118038

The Ford will have a receptacle of the type called a "7 way Bargman" plug, which is the 'standard' plug for an RV.

The simplest may be to find an adapter which goes from the 6 way to 7 way plug.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kskwash

2005-10-17          118068

Murf is correct. The 2005 F-150 is a 7 way rv blade type connector. You will need to find a 7 to 6 adapter to run your trailers. There are two different adapters that I have found. One of them runs the electric brakes with the center pin, and one runs the brakes with an outer pin. It depends on your trailer set up as to which adapter to use. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-17          118070

Whatever else you do, don't try to wire around the problem or splice into the tail light wires. It can fry the computer functions under the hood and the dash. ....

View my Photos
TEXMAN

2007-10-13          146910

Have you checked the trailer tow fuses under the hood? Most 7 to 6 adapter can be taken apart and there is a wire that can be moved to make it work correctly. ....

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-10-17          147051

Pull out your truck owner's manual, look up fuse location, and then go to the passenger side footwell. The fusebox is behind a panel forward of the door opening. Pull that off, and then pull the fuse box cover. I can almost guarantee that you have a blown fuse. I have that problem on occasion with my 2006 f-150 and it usually happens when I plug the trailer in with the lights on the truck turned on.

Hope this helps.

Mark ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login