Go Bottom Go Bottom

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Kevin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-18          39643

Now that I have a tractor, I seem to have become the "free" rental center. All my friends (& even acquaintances)are asking to "borrow" my $11,000 toy. Has this happened to you? How do you deal with it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Pete

2002-06-18          39647

NEVER!
I have had the same thing happen with my tractor. I have a neighbor who started out asking to use it once every couple of weeks or so to move mulch around his property. Every so often, I would notice a ding or scratch that he had caused which made me angry but still not that big of a deal. But the straw that broke the camels back was one day he decided to use it without asking (I found out through one of my horse boarders who had saw him take it). After that little incident, which apparently happened more than once, he was told (in not such a nice fashion)to buy his own tractor!!!! If you are like me, I use it every day and rely on it way too much. I DO NOT NEED MY NEIGHBOR TO WRECK IT FOR ME. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Dan G

2002-06-18          39648

I get the same thing as a contractor. Just say NO. I also rehab old cars. When I bought my Miller mig welder, my friends acted like they went in half or something. Don't lend it out!
You are the loser when something goes wrong and it will. They will ride her hard and put her away wet! Others don't have that pride of ownership. Are they there paying for your oil changes? Will they buy your new tires? Will they even clean it up when they are done? NOT! Most people don't even offer to put fuel in it or your truck you hauled it over in!
Make a policy that only YOU will operate YOUR machine when it is convient for YOU. As soon as you say "sure you can HIRE me and MY machine for the day" you'll be astonished to find people stop asking!
If it's family or a close friend, don't charge but don't lend it. Let people say what they want. If they don't like it go rent or buy a machine.
Sorry if I sound harsh but that's real life. When you need something, do you see people flocking to help? There's always an excuse. Lending usually is a One Way Street.
Dan G.

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-18          39650

I have a friend that used to be a drywall and finish carpentry contractor. He is constantly being asked by friends & family for help with projects. His solution is that "friends and family are free"; he's glad to help BUT he does it on his own terms, that is, when he has the time. I do the same with my tractor. I won't lend it out, but will help friends when convenient for me.
Bill ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-18          39651

I have gotten to the point where I won't even lend a shovel, because even that came back abused. Tractors are complicated machines to learn and use properly and are therefore prone to misuse and damage. Also consider the litigation aspect. It is not hard to imagine someone borrowing your tractor, doing something stupid like tipping it over, and then suing you because you didn't give him instruction on how to avoid it. No. I think the keys will stay in my pocket. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-18          39655

I loan mine to only one person, my dad. I know that he'll take the same care of it as I would. Also when it's time to change the oil he's usually the one to do it. As for anyone else I will do the work for them but, as others have said, it's at my convienience and they pay for a fillup of fuel. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
TC33

2002-06-18          39658

I normally won't lend it to anyone .. not the new one or the old ones... I will normally suggest that I can assist them when I have time. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Michael C.

2002-06-19          39685

This discussion brought back memories. About 12 years ago I owned an 855 with loader/backhoe/rake. I ended up with more friends than any man needs. My father and father in law would fight over who wanted to use it. It got so bad they wouldn't even talk to each other. My needs didn't matter. Friends also wanted it for everything, even to help out their friends. Of course I ended up repairing it frequently and without any expense money. Not one of them ever read the manuals for safety reasons and they all thought they were expert operators. 15 grand of machinery and people wouldn't even bat an eye when asking to take it for a 'few days'. I had enough so I just sold it. My father in law bought his own machine. They are now talking. I now own an 8000# machine that I don't own a trailer for so it stays home.
Also, another consideration is insurance-mine does not allow commercial use off my property nor do they want to see anyone else operating it. It is also not registered for on road use. For anyone thinking of lending a machine out consider the liability implications. I do plow a few elderly neighbors driveways after a heavy snowfall to help out but everything is done when I want to do it. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55572

I never loan anything to anyone any more. It seems to always end up causeing more problems than just saying no to begin with. Not to mention the liability. I also NEVER ask to loan any thing from others. It just makes life a whole lot smoother. With some I just volunteer to help out when I have the time. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-26          55581

I used to loan and borrow between my friends and family. I can's say I have had all bad experiences but enough to never borrow or lend major items again. I still loan small tools to people I care about, in fact my pole saw went out yesterday with my son. My experience with big ticket items has been less than satisfactory. My pride and joy 1978 Dodge 4x4 with custom paint and interior came back from the store at my friends pig roast with a dent in the tailgate. Other items I have loaned did not come back at all. Now, if it has an engine it stays here or I go with it. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-26          55582

I have never had anyone ask to use the tractor, but ask can you come over and do some work. I live in the country and most are familiar with tractors and cost so they don't ask. I prefer to lend myself and my time with the tractor. We all think a borrower nor a lender be, bit that is not really in scripture. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-26          55622

We do tend to barter considerably out here. I do however make sure I pay for work done when I ask for help and can not repay the labor with my time, even if it is a relative. In fact since the ice storm I have had my brother-in-law helping pull brush, rake and catch up on chores and he is paid by the hour. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-26          55625

I do lend mine to my neighbor. He likes to mow his yard with my finish mower. In return I can borrow his tractors anytime I need. He has 2 BIG JDs, at my disposal at all times. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-26          55664

NOT ON YOUR LIFE! My wife doesn't even get on my John Deeres. I have NEVER had a good experience loaning anything. I will never loan anything to but a few people who have demonstrated the maturity and common sense to earn that right. It is just not worth the risk and the worry. If they need something that bad, they can go rent or buy it. I will on occasion do it for them if I have the time and inclination. If you can't afford to buy a new one if you break it, then you should not be borrowing it. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-26          55665

I've been asked if mine could be borrowed and i just couldn't do it even know it was one of my family members, don't think they were real happy, but did get return call saying that they understood. CHEIF how in the world do you keep the wife off ? sure would like to learn that tactic! ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-26          55667

Plots1, I offered to show her how to operate the tractor and all I asked of her was to first read the owner's manual so she would understand the safety issues and operator cautions. I think she is a bit intimidated by the tractor and has yet to read anything. It is way to expensive and dangerous a piece of equipment to be taken lightly. I'll show her when she is ready. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-26          55668

I guess there all differnt , my wife read the book before I did.she stated she wanted to know how to use my expensive toy also. DARN! ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
jailer

2003-05-26          55676

My friends ask me all the time to borrow my machine
so I came up with a nifty reply

I say to them, Is our friend ship worth 150 bucks?
of course they say yes, thats when I tell them
( then rent one!! )
tractor Ernie ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-26          55678

Kevin, My bx wasn't even off the trailer and I had a neighbor asking if I could backscrape a winters worth the horse sh-t away from his paddock. I'm not as leather skinned when it comes to sharing as some of the other post and did it for him. I must admit that he has willingly helped me out with snow removal, but I have allways given him some money. Needless to say, when I was done no money was offered. And at first it seemed as though he didn't understand why I wanted him to hook up his hose so I could rinse it off. I'm sure that this experience has a lesson for the both of us. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
melensdad
Posts: 90 Northwest Indiana, near Lowell and 8 miles from Beecher, Illinois

2003-07-02          58744

No! I co-purchased a 30hp Kubota/FEL/Back Hoe with 2 neighbors, only the 3 of us use it and when asked we say we can't lend it because the other partners won't allow it. I also own a NH CT24D and will not lend it. Tractors cost to much and get abused by novices & neighbors. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
JFarms

2003-07-04          58809

If you loan it, and someone gets hurt bad, who do you think will get sued? You. When asked, my answer is "My insurance won't cover it." So far I've had no hard feelings. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
pitt_md

2007-05-30          142599

Its a sad fact but I don't loan anything out anymore either. Brand new troy built tiller for wifes garden was trashed by neighbor. The shroud tore off, tines bent up, etc. When I asked him about it he said "don't blame me blame Joe" It seems he loaned out MY tiller to his friend...
WTF are people somking these days? ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
wbracy

2007-05-30          142606

Lending equipment is not a good idea! I keep my tractor at home, will help people if asked, but I operate the equipment.

There are just too many things that can go wrong once the tractor is in someone else's control.

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-30          142608

"WTF" is right! As a contractor I get neighbors, usually well-heeled ones, who can well afford to pay someone, want stuff done for nothing (they know better than to ask to use my equipment). I have collegues who charge a dollar just as a principle that if they did it for free that's when Mr. Murphy and his laws kicks in and something expensive breaks. A buck is cheap insurance :) ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
crunch

2007-05-30          142610

I have let one neighbor use my tractor because he stood up for me at a town meeting and gave me support. Now he is moving and I will do work for other neighbors but will not them use it without me driving it. I have no trailer and that is my excuse for not getting outside of the neighborhood. I wish I could transport it to my Mother's house but I would need a trailer AND a truck.

You really have to be careful of neighbors also. They call you up in an emergency and that's when things go wrong. They want to to dig to find the septic when it backs up - but you tell them if I find it with the backhoe its too late. They usually don't know where their septic is, power lines are. Etc etc.

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-05-30          142611

Dear friends,

Years ago, I decided to get myself a good hunting dog. Once he was fully trained to retrieve ducks and geese, it seemed that I was never without a hunting partner. Offers came in from all across the county, with people offering to take me duck hunting.

A couple of years later, I decided that I would buy a boat so that I could take my wife and kids fishing with me. Again, I never found myself short of fishing buddies, all of whom were eager to buy my bait, and clean my fish for me.

Well, the old dog finally died, and shortly thereafter I sold the boat. Suddenly, I had no more friends. so..... stupid me......I went and bought a tractor.

Nobody is allowed to use my tractor. If they have a job that requires the use of a tractor, I will gladly do the job for them, for a small fee. I don't charge much, but it seems that even the smallest fee keeps the beggars at bay. Such is life.

Joel ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-31          142623

Wow; This brings up memories I'd like to forget. First one was a McCulloch chain saw 25 yrs. or so ago. First new saw I ever owned, one of the wifes realitives borrowed it, you know the rest. About ten years ago after geting tired of old junker type trailers, I bought a new 25ft. beaver tail tandem gooseneck. It finally got to the point I had to hide it in a friends evergreen grove and lie to friends that someomne else was using it, so to solve that problem I sold it, and now HIRE someone when I need a heavy trailer, I've still got the junkers, funny, nobody asks to borrow them. The lending policy here now is that if God himself, (or herself, as I've been told by a lady or two), should stop by and want to borrow anything more high tech than a sledge hammer, YES, loan it to HIM, (or HER), but they are the ONLY ones need even ask. One of my sons said that being the only one at work to own a nice pickup keeps you real popular too, so he sold it and now guess what, he borrows mine, but maybe that's part of his inheritance. Frank. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-31          142627

Ditto here, being a contractor makes for a relatively high popularity rate amongst those 'friends' who need (want?) work done.

I though have a built in excuse, sorry Kenneth, but I just say that because of insurance requirements only my employees can operate the equipment, but that I wil happily do the work for the cost of providing same.

The ones that accept get a GOOD job for very little (relatively speaking) money, those that don't, oh well.

I do however make a point of providing 'help' to various genuinely needy groups in my area, churchs, cemetary boards, group homes, seniors, etc., all know that they can go on a list for 'free jobs' on a when time and circumstances allow basis. I kick in all the hard costs, the employees kick in their time, everybody gets a tax receipt when possible, a good feeling from doing the 'right thing' all the time.

It really does go a long way though, one of my employees just got married last weekend, his new bride is a councellor at one of the groups homes we do work for, they met 'on the job' while he was volunteering some labour. The other employees were rather envious of his knock-out new girlfriend when they started dating, she really is stunningly beautiful, his only reply to their kidding was "You should have come help, there's 4 or 5 of them (gilrs) over there that look that good!!!". I know have a steady supply of young men willing to donate some time. ;)

Ahhh, ain't love grand.

Best of luck. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
cutter

2007-06-01          142649

I had to learn that lesson several times over with the truck and snow plow. The first house I purchased was on the lake shore accessed by a private road. The first winter I plowed the road and went to the extra effort to clean the driveway of several other residents that spent the winter there. I did not ask for any money but a couple of them insisted on paying me something to at least cover the gasoline.

There were two other residents with Ford Broncos, one with a plow and the other without. The guy with the plow would never do the road since I lived further in and had to go past his house to get out. He was very well off financially, go figure. The other guy worried only about himself, wouldn't help anyone.

The second winter I told everyone that I would charge a small fee for the driveway cleaning but not for the road. At that point, one of them said he would call me if he wanted my help. Everyone else thought he was an ass, who was I to argue. About half way through the winter he could no longer grind his truck through the packed snow and ice to get into his driveway so he called me. I told him sorry, it is too bad for me to plow it, better hire a loader. That same guy was in my driveway the first really bad snowfall upset that he could not get down the main road because my old Ford would not start. What nerve!

A couple of houses and plow units later and I finally learned that the tractor without plates to travel down the road saves all the headaches. Since most of the neighbors around me have tractors, not an issue, but during heavy snow I do travel with my blower to assist if they get bogged down. In return I am rewarded with great neighbors and an occasional homemade baked good :).

I will loan my trailer to a few close friends if they need one but not my tools or power equipment.

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-06-01          142650

I may be stupid, but my neighbor who I've known since about 6 years old has a spare key to my Cadet 7275. He uses it when he has a need. Today, one of my renters has a son who is a high school senior at a local rural school. Fashion is the senior men drive down mainstreet with lawn tractors in celebration. He is using my utility trailer and 1862 Cadet lawn tractor for the event. I also lease out my triple axle flat bed.

It is no big deal, they are just Cub Cadets anyway! I always help people when I can.

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-06-01          142656

I'll help, but I don't loan out the expensive stuff. Just too much money tied up into it and people just don't respect the property of others anymore. Not to mention the liability if something goes wrong. First thing people do is hire a lawyer and go after the good guy who helped someone out. ....

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
zOmega26

2010-08-21          173329

Old thread.

Do you lend your tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-21          173334

Well that's an odd thing to lend: "old thread".

LOL I hope you don't borrow toilet paper or chewing gum---at least NOT from me. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login