Go Bottom Go Bottom

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-21          143937

Poison ivy is doing real well this year in the Boston area. I'm looking for suggestions on how to eradicate areas in the 10'x30' to 20'x60' range where it has become ground cover under trees and scrub. Is Roudup the way to go? Practical way to spray a area like that?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-21          143938

Roundup doesn't work well on blackberry vines around here but 2,4-d (crossbow brand or they sell it generically) works great. Not sure about poison ivy but I'd guess Round-up might brown it up for one season and it would come back the next. Around trees I use a hand sprayer on days when the wind is still and keep the sprayer low to the ground. Takes awhile but it's not hard work. I bought a 26 gallon sprayer with 100 feet of hose that sets on a carry-all off the tractor hitch. If you have a lot of space between trees a boom sprayer may work for you. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2007-07-21          143939

Round up (or a 41% glysophate generic) will kill it dead, and it should not come back (if you mix it at 6 Oz per gallon) it will work great otherwise you may need two sprayings about a month apart.
My poison ivy has not come back along my driveway in two years (about 250' by 10'). The poison ivy in my woods along the trails I decided to let be. I just keep a mental note of where it is. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-21          143942

On the farm we used borax---the same type used for laundry use (I think it was called "12-Team Borax Laundry Soap" It had a team of horses on it on the box front). Simply sprinkle it on the leaves. Don't need to wet it down--let it sit on the leaves and the rain will eventually soak it in. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-07-21          143944

Borax may not work since they took the phosphates out of laundry detergents but it seems like a safe and relatively inexpensive option to try. Anyone try it recently? ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Billy

2007-07-21          143945

EW, wasn't that 20 Mule Team Borax? ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-07-22          143948

I have used Roundup with good results, there is also a brush rated version of Roundup that would work well on Heavy Poison ivy vines as well. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-22          143951

Billy, yes it was. As far a phosphates in borax, I'm not sure there were any it (I'm not a chemist). Borax is mined as a mineral.

Edit note: Borax itself alone is sufficent to kill the poison ivy. See definition below of its natural properties. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-22          143954

Anyone here old enough to remember the song "Mule Train" sang by I THINK Tennessee Ernie Ford?
Frank. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-22          143956

Off the web:

It was discovered over 4000 years ago. Borax is usually found deep within the ground, although it has been mined near the surface in Death Valley, California since the 1800s. Although it has numerous industrial uses, in the home borax is used as a natural laundry booster, multipurpose cleaner, fungicide, preservative, insecticide, herbicide, disinfectant, dessicant, and ingredient in making 'slime'. Borax crystals are odorless, whitish (can have various color impurities), and alkaline. Borax is not flammable and is not reactive. It can be mixed with most other cleaning agents, including chlorine bleach.

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
Hettric

2007-07-22          143958

Thanks all, I tried a test area with a spray bottle of Roundup. I will also test "20 mule team" borax. Broken, as far as making mental notes of existing locations, have done that for years, this year patches spread 3-4 times plus in size, I have got into it where I didn't expect it. It also has moved big time into areas I want to plant screen shrubs, tough to work there at the moment. Does anyone know how long the Borax lingers? Don't want to kill my new shrubs. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-07-22          143959

You might want to spend some time on gardenweb dot com and do some searches on borax toxicity. Generally it seems safe when used within reason but it does linger in the soil longer than roundup and can do some harm. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-23          143961

I've had the experience of Roudup not quite killing a weed with a single application. The local seed company agronimist told me to always on anything except grass to use a bit more than label rates and kill it the first tratment. He described as "Hardening Off" if you just kind of make a weed mad with a weak application and then for some reason they "Harden Off" as he calls it and won't absorb much of a second application. Grass is different, it seems to die with just a sniff of Roundup. Frank. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-07-23          143963

Poison Ivey requires something stronger than Round-up. You need a brush and vegetation killer. Just be careful around your other shrubs. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-23          143964

CONTROLLING POISON IVY

See web link below.......

Joel ....

Link:   POISON IVY CONTROL

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-23          143977

As far as borax lingering, don't know but I do know we spread it around near our pear trees with no problems. ....

Killing Poison Ivy

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-07-24          143993

Hardwood, not that old but your memory is correct on Tennessee Williams on the song. Guess many of those who are old enough don't want to admit it. kt

I think you would find a brush killer is what is needed to kill the poison ivy. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login