Go Bottom Go Bottom

Starting apple trees from seed

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-17          135998

The weather must have been just right for apple trees this summer, it seems that every tree whether it was sprayed and properly cared for or not produced an abundance of apples. With permission of the owners we picked some of the nicest apples in years from an abandon farmstead that no one maintains anymore. So the ides popped into my head to save some seeds from these apples that did so well without any care and plant them next spring. I told a friend about my big idea, he said that seeds from an apple won't grow to be the same variety of apple that they came from. Any apple seed planters on the board? Thanks. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-17          135999

Hardwood:

My Grandfather (who had a beautiful orchard of apples, pears and grapes) always said you can't get good apples when growing trees from seeds. He always did grafts.

Type in "growing apple trees from seed" in google. There is a nice article near the top of the search about doing it. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-10-17          136000

Hard

I do know they are very slow growing and could be very long while before you saw Apples at all. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-17          136001

Frank, we've done it in the greenhouse, and Pete and WW are right, it's a painfully slow process.

If you take a cutting, you don't need to do a graft though, take a cutting with about a 2' length and lots of leaves, gently clean all the bark back an inch from the cut end, dip it in rooting hormone (from any good nursery) and place it in a pot of starter soil, a special potting soil mix.

This will cause very rapid root growth and you will end up with a "5 year old" tree in one year.

Don't worry about a good year or not though, a healthy tree is all you want to look for.

Start next spring, as soon as they are in full leaf.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-17          136004

We have several apple trees. I believe all of them are grafted onto crabapple root stock.

We got a snowfall on memorial day this year just as the fruit was starting to set. That left us with about a dozen apples.... total.... and the squirrels got those. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-10-17          136005

We had the best harvest of apples I have seen from our apple tree. The wife and kids have been baking apple pies like nobody's business. The deer are disposing of the rest that fall on the ground. The persimons had a good year this year as well. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-10-17          136006

We had a good crop of apples here too, but the ones that make it to the ground are either in the dog run or the pool enclosure.

I don't mind though, Deputy Dog and his sister, the Life of Rylie, have got me three nice fat rabbits so far.... and NO stray pellets when she gets them for me!!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-17          136007

Thanks for all the ideas and comments on my seed starting idea. Murf's comment about starting a cutting in a pot sounds like a quicker way to an apple pie, so I'll try that too. My wife is getting a big chuckle out of this with the "Why don't you just go to the nursery and buy a few trees instead of all this mess in the garage thing." My answer to her is that her way just isn't a big enough challenge, I seem to always want to do most everything the hard way. So maybe to keep everyone content I'll buy a couple trees, start a few cuttings and plant a handfull of seeds too. Another answer that is far too lodgical is to buy some apples at the store, but that just isn't a big enough challenge. Enjoy the pie. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-10-17          136008

hardwood,

If you follow your loving wifes thougth process to the end, she is wanting you to take her out for apple pie. That saves the work of growig the tree, taking care of the tree, picking the apples, cutting the apples and making the pie. Of course also washing all the dishes.

As to doing things the "hard way" fits your user name right well I think! LOL ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-17          136011

KT; During the fall I do take the Mrs. to every church dinner on the map where most of the pies are still home made, not to mention all the other tasty stuff on the menu. It's getting nearly impossible to find a resturant around here anymore that serves anything but those horrible factory made pies. The Mrs. still makes quite a pie especially if company is coming, so I invite folks often. She also has taught our oldest son pie making, he makes a real blueberry pie with real berrys not the blue glop in a can stuff. Wowzer am I over fed. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-18          136025

I was told that the crabapple root stock will provide protection against some sort of rot that the natural root is susceptible to.

The nursery started trees might be healthier in the long run. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login