Go Bottom Go Bottom

ever thought about moving

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-04          105487

Ever thought about selling your place and buying a farm somewhere scenic and rural? I'm on 15 acres now but I'm so close to baltimore urban sprawl is strangling the area. I want a place I can keep my horses, go hiking, and enjoy peace and quiet.

I don't even know how to begin searching for a new area to live. The internet is fun to browse but there is so much they're NOT telling you in the ads.

Is there a part of the country that is CHEAP to buy farmland but not frozen solid most of the year? I'm used to Maryland climate. Maybe 40-80+ acres for under $500k?

Am i nuts?

Has anyone here give up life near a city to live in the middle of nowhere?

Stupid #%#$% suburban sprawl. They won't quit till the whole country is one big strip-mall.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-04          105489

I know land in Northern Minnesota was cheap. I sold my 80 acres up there for $375 per acre. But you do have to contend with the winters. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-02-04          105494

Boy do I hear that. Eastern Pa is exploding with people escaping corrupt New York and New Jersey. But all our family is here so I guess we stay, for the time being. ....

View my Photos
metastable
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-04          105496

$375 an acre? Wow! On the west coast near Portland, OR, undeveloped rural land runs $10k/acre. Land with a house runs $20k/acre + cost of house. Oregon is fortunate (depending on which side of the urban sprawl issue you are on) to have land use laws and urban growth boundaries that prevent housing communities from popping up in the country. If you find rural land, it is likely to stay that way. Especially since timber companies own much of it, and they don't usually sell. There are plenty of buildable 40 acre parcels for $400k, and the winters are mild (by midwest/NE standards). ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-02-04          105507

For 400-500 K you can buy quite a piece of land with builings in Maine. Let me clue you in on a secret.
It's the cold winters that keep it a nice place to live.
We have our share of hot weather in July and August.
Go to Realtor .com it is nation wide. ....

View my Photos
kubotachick

2005-02-04          105508

you can get tons of land in south carolina for way cheap. I know of a couple that moved there and spend 70 k on a three bedroom two bath brick home on an acre. There is also all kinds of property to snatch, but some you kind of have to take to good with the bad. It may be dense forest or an abandoned farm...western south carolina is my vote ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-02-04          105510

I remember our good friend rgauthier (locked out of the forum about a year ago) talked about the land in West Virginia as being fairly inexpensive. I've also heard from friends that it's a beautiful area.
Dave ....

View my Photos
ksmmoto

2005-02-04          105512

In Central Michigan ag and woods runs about $1300 - $1700 per acre. Was $500 per acre twenty years ago and the locals thought that was nuts!

Land may get cheaper if people have to move to where there is still jobs. Montcalm county just south of me has lost about 4000 thousand jobs and will lose 3000 more this year.

Also winter is here. Just got up to 40 today and I thought spring has arrived! Didn't even were a jacket. Two weeks ago we had three weeks of 0 to -10 every day and night. Grinder is right, cold weather keeps the population down and makes it a nice area to live.

ksmmoto ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-02-04          105518

I guess that the age old rule of thumb applies: There is no Utopia, everybody would be there. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-02-04          105521

I would like to buy lots of land to retire on with wife and tractor. But unfortunately old age may require that you be close to grocery stores. My wife reminds me that you need a liquor store and drug store also.

I would ideally like to buy some land on Lake Champlain. We have had great times there, but again, old age may not be compatible with the cold up there. Uh oh, it's my wife's birthday - she says to get off computer - my a** is in trouble, Bye!! :) ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-02-05          105528

grinder, the wife and I would love to move to Maine. But the key is needing a job to pay the bills. I've sort of looked, but can't get serious until after the baby shows up. ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2005-02-05          105534

Ncrunch32 tell your wife happy birthday from us. Grinder the state of Maine must love you - you're one of their best salesmen.

As Dorothy says - "there's no place like home". I guess this counrty is big enough that you can find what you want, where you want, at the price you want. You just have to be patient in your search, open minded, be willing to move, and decide what conviences you can do with and without.

My wife tells me that if we ever move again that we're picking up the house and taking it with us. We've moved a few times, mostly when we were young at the beginning of our marriage but we've been in our home going on 21 years. I'm already 450 miles from my family and getting to see them once or maybe twice a year is tough and getting tougher as the folks are getting older.

So if I had to move it would be closer, not further, to them but, I don't see that happening. If you make your house your HOME (there is a difference) it becomes part of your family, you put roots down in the community, you find new "family" in your friends. It all depends on what you want.

I have to agree with funchy - "stupid #%#$% suburban sprawl". But that is progress - if that is what you want to call it. We have spoiled ourselves and want everything instantly. Heck even up in the semi populated areas of Maine you can't turn the corner without running into a wally world.

I had the oppurtunity to transfer several years ago with my company from MA to AZ. There were numerous opportunities as they were transfering some of the product from here to there. But they were having a tough time filling the openings. They offered free weekends out there to check things out all expenses paid. They lowered the agreement to stay there from 2 years to 1 year. They offered 6 months salary as a bonus to move there. I told her we should just check it out, for the free weekend, as I had no desire to move to AZ. She told me that she hoped me and my new wife would be happy.

Whatever you do - don't leave the better half out of the equation. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-02-05          105538

Actually I know people that would shoot me for broadcasting it.
I was fortunate enough to escape a shit hole, I will take the changing seasons anytime.
Almost 50 degrees and bright sun. It will be back to zero next week so I'm going for a walk.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-02-05          105545

You can find almost anything you want anywhere for your little heaven. Just depends on what you want. I prefer smaller areas myself. I'd like to live in Maine. At least away from the southeast area which gets bad during tourist season.

course, I'd also like to live in Wyoming or Montana, northwestern Wisconsin, or near Duluth, Alaska, the UP of Michigan, etc. The wife and I like changing seasons and we actually like snow in winter. It makes it easier to see the deer (so you can avoid them) and covers the dog turds. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-02-05          105548

funchy, man O man can I sympathize and identify with you on this point!!! I feel crowded on 25 acres and one neighbor so I did exactly what you are talking about. We are selling our current place and in the process of moving to the ranch. It is an old cattle ranch that got into financial trouble after the owner died. 261 acres of God's beautiful planet with several more acres near by in large tracts of land. I figure if I can see, hear, or smell you, that is waaaaaaaaaay to close to be neighbors. I have become VERY accustomed to being able to walk out into any part of the yard to liesurely & stress freely dispose of processed beer, coffee, and the occasional Captain Morgan. It is also difficult to describe how enjoyable it is to be able to watch the the resident wild turkey flock (about 30) on the lower 40 river bottom pasture. Deer, hawks, eagles, coyotes, all over. Only about 7500 people in the entire county. Keep looking and be persistent although you will have to take into account that many areas such as this are severely economically despressed and jobs are scarce. My goal is to become a professional recluse and hermit. ;o) I can make you a nice deal on our place that is up for sale now if you are interested. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2005-02-05          105549

grinder, please don't encourage people to move here. I can tell you are from away, if you were a true Mainer you wouldn't be telling others that it's nice living here. It was nice here in Maine before the tourism push, then people from away realized what type of life style we Mainers had, NOW almost half the population is from away and most of them brought they're big attitudes with them. I can remember when you could trust people, hell you could leave your car unlocked with a load of valuables in it and no-one would think of touching it. If people from away keep moving here, then we won't have the way of life they thought was so great then would we.

David ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-02-05          105553

David, the sad thing is that what you speak of is happening all over the country. I carry a side arm at ALL times around the ranch as there are the folks who like to make methamphetamine. Just last week we had our first gun battle in the new neighborhood. I hate to sound cold or insensitive but a sizeable portion of our country's population needs to be "culled". ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2005-02-05          105572

Yeah here in southern NH today it was around 50°F and Sunny! It was even nice to just bring the trash to the transfer station. I know what you mean about all the nice places to live like MN, WI, Alaska (AK?), the UP of MI but, since we aren't moving I just try to visit those types of places - though I haven't got to any of them yet,

My wife and me both love the 4 seasons, fall is my favorite, and I love the snow - I tell my daughters its because I was born in Feb.

No place is perfect - some of us may just be lucker than others in finding close to what they consider to be. Even with all of its warts this is still the greatest country to live in. Heck even in my own little piece of almost suburban spawl running thru my yard I have all the usual suspects and deer, coyote, black bear, moose, fishers, etc. Here in New Hampshire I can even carry concealed if I want to. I think the permit is very easy to get. My wife grew up kinda country - well way more country suburbs than city. She still doesn't lock the car doors at home - except maybe I've convinced her to at night. Me, I grew up in a big city. I even lock the cars when they're in the driveway during the day. When we first moved out of the city many moons ago, when we were first married, I stepped outside at night and said where the hell are the street lights. I mean it wasn't like I was in the woods when I was camping. I was at home - it was supposed to be bright and noisy.

I guess where ever you hang your hat is home. :o) ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-02-06          105585

Land in WV is fairly cheap; the rule of thumb is $1000/ac. for meadow land. Timber prices fluctuate, so I'm not sure what forest land is bringing these days.

Finding a job presents a problem, though.

In my experience, you have to have enough land to really isolate yourself to experience the "peace and quiet". We have 6 acres where our house is and 20 acres on the family farm. Everybody that goes by has a loud exhaust system on their truck; the Harley guys with straight pipes; ATV's running up and down the road; and my favorite, the dumba$$ neighbors that shoot in their back yard. 20 acres isn't enough to get away from all that. I've always been sensitive to noise, and it is just getting worse as I get older. I'm starting to think I'd be better off in a subdivision in town, just take the tractors up to the farm and leave them.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-02-06          105592

Funchy: Here in north east Iowa the timbered aerias within 30 miles of a major employment city are getting scarce. Some of these aerias that were considered almost worthless 30 yrs. ago after the loggers cleaned out all the good virgin timber now are full of 5 - 10 acre lots with half million dollar homes on them. I know this isn't what you are after, so to find a large enough secluded farm in the midwest you'll have to get away from major citys. We consider 75 to 100,000 a major city, but I realize that on the east and west coast they would be considered a small town. The hometown I grew up next to had 500 people. Frank. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2005-02-06          105603

2ndHandLion, I completely agree "a sizable portion of our country's population needs to be "culled". and then some. I carry concealed, not necessarily for the same reason you described but being retired from law enforcement I feel kinda naked without one and I know some of the scumbags who have deep feelings for me, carry also:)

David

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-02-06          105620

Yes, Alaska (AK) has four seasons: June, July, August and Winter. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-02-07          105630

West Virginia I would steer clear of. I have heard stories. There are also a few movies that were filmed there one is "Deliverance" with good ole' Burt Renolds & anouther is "Wrong turn" which came out last year & was a great on the edge of your seat flick. there is a trird movie that was inspired by VW life but I cant htink of the name of it. A good friend of mine's father lived there for some time & said that there is definitly a different breed of people out there.

You might want to email Ken (KWSCHUMM) & ask about Oregan. He seems to have plenty of work out there & lots of privacy. I dont know what the value of land is though but he could tell ya.
As for the suburban sprawl, Ya it stinks but I shouldnt bitch because am making a killing installing all these new lawns for these fancy houses they are building. Then the homeowner pays us largely to cut & maintain the lawns we installed. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-02-07          105631

We have four distinct seasons in Toronto too.

Winter season.

Mud season.

Road Construction season.

Deer season. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-02-07          105633

LOL !!! ....

View my Photos
momeyer

2005-02-07          105638

Don't leave out the good old Missouri Ozarks in your decision process. You'll have four true seasons, land is relatively cheap ($700-1000/acre). Great wildlife and never crowded. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-02-07          105642

I think about moving almost every day! Through the week I'm about 3 hours from my farm in northern Wisconsin and we spend almost every weekend there. The farm was almost 200 acres. I own 90 with the house and buildings, my sister owns the rest. So it's like having the whole thing. The part I really appreciate is that it's at the end of a township road so the only people who drive in are us (or a few lost souls). Our nearest neighbor is 1 1/4 miles away so it's pretty secluded. I have about 10 years left before I can retire there and keep my wife in the "style she's accustomed to." :) The main problem is that a "hermit" lifestyle can be maddening to some people. They just find they need to have more things happening around them even when they think peace and quiet is what they need. However, for the right individual or family it can be a great lifestyle.
Dave

View my Photos
Murf

2005-02-07          105644

Dave, don't you mean the "style she WISHES TO BECOME accustomed to.".

I know that's the phrase I hear all the time.

"See Honey, I was listening........"

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-02-07          105645

Murf, I suppose you're right about that. She was just showing me a magazine ad with the "perfect granite countertops." All I could think of was that the countertops probably cost more than the farmhouse we were sitting in.

I have discovered a way to put a stop to some of this foolishness. Whenever she decides she wants something expensive like granite countertops I mention how much it will add to the property taxes. Seeing that she saves the tax money out of her paychecks this usually stops the discussion. :) ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-02-07          105646

I have lived in a number of places, some in Africa, some Eurpoe, and now 2 in the US. I'm happy where I am now but there is no Utopia, you have to make the most of what you have. Focus on the good and learn to tune out the bad, life is easier that way. Everywhere I go I meet good folk and for me life is more about the people and less about the place. I like Ohio it's not as pretty as Kentucky but its a bigger pin on the map so we get more attention. I can have (and afford) my 6 acres and get to work in 15mins, the day flies by and seconds later I come home and forget about it all - pretty close to my kind of Utopia, could probably do similar in most of the other 49 states (well maybe not the afford bit). Cheers AB ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-02-07          105649

SM,
I don't know the last time you looked at granite, but the price has come down over the last couple of years. You might be able to give the boss what she wants. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-02-07          105650

I agree with stephenR, I had them installed in my kitchen last year, Cost me $5500 & that included delivery & installation & I have 32' of counter & they are the standard width. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-02-07          105656

"Cost me $5500 & that included delivery & installation & I have 32' of counter & they are the standard width."

Let's see, countertop or diesel truck engine?
countertop or diesel truck engine?

This is supposed to be sounding like the "Harley or dinette set" commercial. :)
Dave ....

View my Photos
paulss

2005-02-07          105674

AnnBrush,

There is a Utopia. It's in the Texas hill country (central Texas) about 60 miles west of San Antonio. About 400 people, lots of land and deer. A very pretty place and the nearest Walmart is 45 miles away.

Paul ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-02-19          106468

".. A very pretty place and the nearest Walmart is 45 miles away"

Is the distance to the walmart a good thing or a bad thing? We're now Walmarted to death here in Maryland -- with 2 new huge Walmarts going up this spring in my rural county alone. They won't quit till every zipcode has one.

I am still doing my homework on this. Parts of the carolinas look nice in photos but I need to visit. I like the look of WV but the mining industry has destroyed the health of some big areas, so I'm undecided. Ky is supposed to be good for horsefarms (I have horses). Georgia is warm without being an oven like areas farther south. But then again the midwest praries look so peaceful and open. How to decide where to begin to look?!??

Signed,
Yearning to be Free ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-20          106514

I am going to move soon, either in a few months or in 4 years. LOL One or the other. I live right on Lake Michigan (1 1/2 miles away) For the last 12 years or so we have not had a real spring and our fall seems to run right into winter (after a week of fall). Some like the temperate climate here. Except for the heart of winter and summer) whatever the Lake temp is and the wind direction you can add or subtract about 10 degrees. SO that make us about 50 degrees in Late may to the early part of June if we have a east wind. My 160 acres is 312 miles north west of me. It is above the 45th parralel. Believe it or not 8 of the 12 months out of the year the average HIGH temp is warmer there than where I am. I love the cold (If we have snow) But also love spring and fall. Since we dont get much spring or fall lately it is time to move.
Texas? LOL You guys have those runt deer down there dont you? Maybe that is Florida LOL. Anywhere that the weather does not kill the bugs once a year is not a place for me. I like to enjoy the woods atleast once a year with out either being bit, stung or sucked on. About a grand an acre by me give or take depending on marketable timber or not.
SHortmagnum
Granite? Has your wife been talking to mine? She gets what she wants in this house, I can only controll the size. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-03-14          108028

I'm still dreaming of wide open spaces. While browsing the web, I found a web site that had lots of nice farms on it. Now all I need is that winning lottery ticket... ....

Link:   Land And Farm.com

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-03-02          189367

Chief this is the thread that helped you find your place in Tennessee ...

Lots of good memories with all the posters from back then... ....

View my Photos
Chief

2014-03-02          189370

Not sure if this is it or not. I remember the thread had a link in it to www.landandfarm.com . Either I missed it or maybe it was edited out long ago. ....

Link:   Land and Farm

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-03-02          189372

Quote:
Originally Posted by funchy | view 108028
I'm still dreaming of wide open spaces.While browsing the web, I found a web site that had lots of nice farms on it.Now all I need is that winning lottery ticket...

The link is two messages up in the message I am quoting ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2014-03-04          189407

My plan is to move, and move - and keep moving. Spent >20 years in the Navy (mostly overseas), >20 years tied to a sheep ranch in KY, and am now caregiver for a terminal wife. So my traveling has been pretty limited since leaving the Navy in 1992. When the wife finally passes on, I'm selling the place and using some of the proceeds to buy a 55'-60' twin diesel coastal cruiser. I'll live on board, and use navigable rivers and coastal waters to finally "see the USA".

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login