Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cummins option recommendations

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-29          84744

Thinking about getting a new Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins truck. I know I want the six speed manual and the 3.73 rear end, but I'm wondering about other options. For those of you who have one, what options do you wish you had? Or conversely, what do you have that you find wasn't worth the money? Are there any "must have" options?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-29          84747

Alright! Red meat! Right up my alley! First let me commend you on your fine taste and wise choice in trucks! ;o) Just my "unbiasd" humor. You are gonna love the 325 hp and 600 ft./lbs. torque! Ken, I would suggest the SLT Plus (Laramie) package and the long bed version. Heated leather seats are so nice! side curtain air bags are a nice safety option. The power folding trailer tow mirrors are a MUST. Get the off road tires. That stock tires are the same size but all season....not so good off road. The AM/FM/CD/GPS Nav package is a coin flip but I would go for it. Other wise the standard stereo/CD player is fine. Get the protection group; skid plates and tow hooks are a very good insurance policy. The trailer tow group is a MUST. The sport package is a coin flip and matter of taste but I would go for it. Get the front hood protection shield. Rear window defogger is a Must. The engine block heater was standard on mine but GET IT.....a MUST, saves wear and tear over the long term with a preheated engine. I got the sliding rear window and have not used it yet but plan to when I get a bed top. Forget about the under rail bed liner. Get the Rhino Liner of Linex Liner, MUCH better; I have the Rhino Liner. Anti-spin rear axle is an ABSOLUTE, especially if you do any off or dirt roading; these trucks are a bit light in the rear. I like the clearnce lamps and suggest getting them. I like the Uconnect option features too but a matter of personal taste. I would also very strongly recommend that you get the cost of a Jacobs Exhaust Brake and its installation included in the price of the truck. The exhaust brake will pay for itself many times over in reduced wear on brakes and far superior stopping power with a heavy load.........plus they sound REALLY cool! ;o) Westin makes some really nice after market stuff such as the step nerf bars (you will want these if you want you wife to get in and have peace ;o) ) and a front bumper brush guard. Get the biggest fender flaps you can (it will save on the zillions of paint chips from rocks and debry. Maybe some rear tail light brush guards too. If you plan on occasional towing, the 3.73's will be great. If you planned to do extensive heavy towing; get the 4.10's for sure! White and Grapite Metalic seem to be the easiest to keep clean but the red and black look cool. You're gonna have serious sticker shock but no way around that these days. Good luck and happy haggling! ;o) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-29          84751

I thought this thread would pique your interest Randy :)
Thanks for the suggestions. It's fun spending somebody elses money ain't it? LOL You're not kidding about sticker shock. I've never spent more than $22k on a vehicle in my life. I have a Line-X on my current truck and it's been great, so no doubt I'll go that way again. I won't tow very often so the 3.73 axle should be fine. What is the Uconnect option? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-29          84752

Ken, the Uconnect option is a hands free feature that has the phone mic built into the rear view mirror and also has some other hands free feature for the stereo operation I believe, plus the auto dimming rear view mirror. Can I spend you money or what! ;o) I figure that the diesel option is going to put the price way up there and the added goodies will increase the resale value down the road if you ever decide to sell but they sure make driving the truck a pleasure! ;o) ....

View my Photos
sgt1985
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-29          84756

Ken,out of curiosity and a keen sense of finding a good deal, what vehicle are you trading in on that new Cummins' Dodge? Believe me, I'm trying to save you money. You'll get squat on a dealer trade-in. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-29          84757

I'm not doing a trade-in. As much as our two Fords have been in the shop lately we need a third vehicle :) ....

View my Photos
sgt1985

2004-04-29          84760

Whoa slow down,easy on the Ford products. My Fords have only let me down once. O.k. maybe twice. Blame the parts Ford subbed-out to a third world nation for pennies on a dollar,not Ford as a whole. And by the way,I like your sense of humor! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-30          84782

Thanks :) I keep reading about guys who put zillions of miles on their vehicles and never have any trouble. I wanna be one of those guys! It's not that they have let us down a lot, it's just that lots of things on them have broken and things that are broken drive me nuts. I never expect to find the holy grail of auto manufacturers, but keep hoping for better :) ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-05-01          84860

I have an 01 w/HO Cummins and 6 spd. I have the posi reara w/410 ratios on a Laramie pkg. I pull my tractor and another guys who has a TN 75 w/loader, hoe, full cab stc. Truck pulls like almost nothing behind me. Only thing I can offer is that the factory HD tow pkg is not heavy enough. I had to go and get double what the factory pkg is to a 1200 toungue weight system. Other than changing out the tow pkg, been an awesome truck. Although I expect it to be, it is number 11 in a row of great Dodge power.. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-01          84864

My eyeballs nearly fell out when I saw a 3/4 ton equipped the way I want would cost nearly $45k. YOWSA. I was expecting around $35k. Time for plan B, whatever that might be. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-01          84865

Ken, the sticker shock factor is an eye opener but any of the other brand diesel pickups will cost the same or more. If you are interested; a friend of mine's father who lives in Washington is going to be selling his 2002 Dodge Cummins pickup which is VERY similar to mine. He looked at my truck during a visit to his son and liked it and bought the one he has now. He wants a 2004 Ram 600 and will be selling his 2002 if you are interested. I can ask my friend to see if his father wants to sell now and get you his contact info. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-01          84874

Thanks for the offer Randy. I'm gonna spend a few weeks gathering information and thinking about it so I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-01          84888

"My eyeballs nearly fell out when I saw a 3/4 ton equipped the way I want would cost nearly $45k."

Ken, I was considering a diesel truck a couple of months ago too. For me plan B is getting a couple more years out of the truck I have now. :-( ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-01          84890

Dave, you're not kidding. Trucks used to be the economical workhorse transportation choice. After spending some time on Edmunds it's looking like if I buy a used 2000 model I can still afford to put up a new shop to house the tractor (which lives in the garage now). ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-02          84970

Hey Chief, what do you figure a ballpark price for a 2002 equipped like your friends truck might be worth? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-02          84975

I will ask him and find out. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-03          85053

I know the big diesels are a hot item, but I would rather have a nice running high fuel mileage diesel pickup with maybe 200 HP. If it had a nicely geared 5 or 6 speed you could still tow quite a large load in a lower gear when needed. Is there no market for something like this?
Dave ....

View my Photos
Lee

2004-07-06          90227

Do yourself a favor and by a Powerstroke. I own a 2004 powerstroke with the six speed and it will run circles around the 2004 cummins six speed the trucks are basically identical as far as size and options. the ford is just a better truck ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-06          90232

Lee: Wait for the repair bills to show up on the PS (POS?). The 6.0 PS is just not a good motor. 5.7 GM diesel all over again. ....

View my Photos
TORQUIN

2004-07-07          90315

Get all the options you can afford, and want. I like my power windows and heated mirrors.
I do suggest you do like I did, and buy used. I got a great 99 SLT Laramie in 2001, and it is the best truck I ever owned, even being a former Ford fanatic, swearing I'd never own a Dodge. Never say never, huh? I boght it for the Cummins, and wouldn't have anything else.
It now has an extra turbo, a race tranny, and runs mid 14's in the 1/4, while still being able to tow a house. It will tow my flatbed and tractor to the track and run 12's before it's over (where's that big grin smiley?).
IF you want a stock truck, the older Ford's with the 7.3 Powerstroke engine are pretty good and have proven reliability. The new 6.0 PS is too new, and while some have had no problem, many have had lots of problems. I'd stay away from that engine for a couple of years.

Chris ....

Link:   More Cummins Info

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login