Go Bottom Go Bottom

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56840

I called Howes about their diesel fuel additive and the tech guy sent me a free sample of their lubrication/penetrant/corrosion prevention lube. I have tried it and it works alot better than WD-40. Does not evaporate and leaves a fine protective film to prevent rust and corrosion. Thought I would pass it along.

Link:   Link to product

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New lubrication product

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56845

I am not too much of a fan of WD-40 as a lubricant. I have had better luck with motorcycle chain lube for penetrating frozen bolts than WD-40. I have also used a product called Kroil that works OK.

We would carry WD40 during the Baja races, but mainly to dry out a wet ignition. This is does pretty well. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56882

WD-40 is good around electrical stuff; I carry it on the Sea Ray. I like the fact that this Howes product leaves a thin protective film which really helps slow down rust and corrosion as well as help prevent further stuck bolts and such down the road. How did you get a wet igition in Baja? Not too many places to get wet there ehh? ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56891

In the West, when it rains it POURS. Much of the race is run in flash flood channels and planes where the locals don't live based on their historical knowledge of the area.

The race runs from sea level and sometimes through tidal areas of wet salt marsh up over the mountains at >5000 ft and back down to the other side of the penninsula. You cross dry lakebeds and sometimes running rivers. The Baja 500 is run in June when it is hot and dry and the Baja 1000 is run in November when it can rain and get very cold.

I can tell you a ton of Baja stories, but those are best shared over a single malt scotch or at least a glass of Tequila. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56893

The Tequila I bet helps dry out the ignition and the driver as well! ;o) ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-06          56894

I use a lot of WD-40 in my broiler houses, on the cable pulleys. It has some lubrication properties and doesn't collect dust and such. If anyone has a better product then let me know. I'll sure give it a try, if I can find it around here. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56931

I have had better luck with LPS products. They have some that are thin like WD-40 and some that leave a heavy film. I also like BreakFree. That is what I use on firearms. It leaves a thin oil film, but it would catch dust.

For dry lube where dust is a problem I use graphite. Graphite works on sleeve bearings, but you want to use an oil product if the rollers have ball bearings. For more extreme cases where graphite does not work look for something containing Moly DiSulfide. Moly looks black like graphite and is generally applied in an evaporating solvent. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56933

We used a spray compound like that to coat our main rotor blade retention pins on the UH-60 Blackhawks to prevent the pins from becoming corroded to the blade pin sleeve. Only thing was that the pins had to cure and dry for at least 12 hours prior to use. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56934

I used to use a product called CRC 5-56. I havent been able to find it in a long time. I am no fan of Wd-40. It reminds me of liquid wrench. I like kroil better I have also used Marvel Mystery oil but have never seen it in a spray. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56937

I an not familiar with CRC 5-56, but you can get CRC 3-36 from McMaster Carr Supply company nationwide. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56940

the 3-36 is a penetrateing oil like wd-40. The 5-56 was just a high quality spray oil. Berreta used to pack a sample with new shot guns. I have heard the Berrreta gun oil is the same stuff just more expensive. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56944

I found 5-56, but only by the case from a distributor. It is interesting that most of the other Internet references are not english. If you are interested in oil for guns, I use BreakFree and Tetra. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56947

I have never used the break free. do you like it ? I have been useing the Browning but it solidifies and gets gummy very fast. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56951

Been using Break Free for over 20 years and it is about the best there is as far a weapons lubricant and corrosion protection. It is also pretty good at removing powder residue. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56953

Thanx for the tip I'll give it a try. Do you use Shooters choice in the bores ? I usually use a combination of shooters choice and JB's polishing compound for copper removeal but if its tough I use a titch of Sweets 5.56 ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56955

I have been using BreakFree for years. I cannot detect any problems with it. It is a little thick...that is good for some things and not for others. I have used Remington gun oil for thinner applications, but Starett oil for micrometers and other machinist equipment works best for really light applications. Tetra is thicker than BreakFree. It seems to work well. I am still using a free sample that I picked up at the NRA national convention last year.

A friend lubed the sear pack on his HK with Moly Disulfide and it would not stop shooting. It emptied the entire clip on his 308. He told me that the only thing that he had done was lube the trigger works. I saw it empty the clip, but I don't know for sure that he assembled it correctly either. But, I have never used Moly on any of my guns after I saw that. I stick with gun lubes for guns except for the Starett which is like a light Whale oil. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56956

It has been awhile since I have done some gun cleaning but I think it is Hodges Copper Remover for the bores, but I cut it with the Homer's Duck Butter> ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56957

Your killing me with the duck butter ! Do you add a shot to your scotch ? Wer'e going to have to put you out on the deck while the big boys have a drink and fire up a cigar...Give shooters choice a try, it truely is a amazeing product. Most of the Team USA bench shooters use it. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-06          56958

I use Hoppe's #9 for regular bore cleaning and Benchrest solvent for tougher jobs. The Benchrest solvent seems a little more agressive.

I also have an electric bore cleaner that I use with ammonia on really bad bores. My guns don't usually need it, but sometimes I trade for a used one that had not been properly cleaned. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56959

After I shoot each time I Scrub the bore and keep it wet with shooters choice for a few days. Usually takes the majority out without scrubbing. The problem ones are like you say, those that come used and needing a good bath. ....

New lubrication product

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-08          57128

To bust rusted bolts nothing beats PB-BLASTER,soak the bolt/nut 0on the exhaust manifold and in the morning with slow and steady twist, bingo.
To coat something I have yet to find anything that works better than FLUID-FILM and the only place I have been able to locate this stuff is (home and country) also the parent of DR CHIPPER. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login