Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
DK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-19          4040

I am new to the tractor world and was curious as to how others handle fueling their tractors. Mine has a tank capacity of 9.2 gallons and so far I have been using 5 gallons plastic tanks and pouring it into the tractors tank (which is pretty high) but this has been a real pain. What do some of you do to make this an easier chore?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Paul

1999-05-19          4063

This job can be make real easy if you have teenage boys. Let them do it! But if that aint happening your local fuel dealer may rent you a 100 gal. barrel on a stand. These are the methods that I have used. The 100 gal. tanksure does make refueling alot quiter. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Paul

1999-05-19          4064

This job can be make real easy if you have teenage boys. Let them do it! But if that aint happening your local fuel dealer may rent you a 100 gal. barrel on a stand. These are the methods that I have used. The 100 gal. tanksure does make refueling alot quiter. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Casey

1999-05-19          4073

There are a number of hand or powered pumps available.Northern Tools (formerly Northern Hydraulics)http://www.northern-online.comlists several in their catalogue but I would assumethat any local farm supply store would have them.Several of the pumps listed in Northern's catalogueare electric that are listed for use with diesel butnot for gasoline.If you have a local distributor that will deliver thediesel fuel, you might want to either rent one as suggested in a previous post or purchase one - whetheror not you choose to elevate it or use a pump. If not,I suppose that you could do like we used to do on the farmwhen I was a kid and just leave the drum permanently in the back of your pickup and fill it up in town - although that does have a few disadvantages... ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-05-19          4074

DK,Start back from how much fuel you use a month. 100 plus gallons? Then a gravity feed tank with filter is the way to go. Your bulk fuel dealer will deliver tax free off-road red whenever you need it. Anything less and you are going to be hauling it yourself from the co-op. To do this you will need a truck mounted tank and pump. Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and similiar suppliers can fix you up. See [www.tractorsupplyco.com/catalog/truckacc/p223.htm] for starters (also p224 & p225). You can get hand pumps and 12 volt electric pumps. You can use these pumps in truck mounted tanks and barrels. Two key considerations - keep no more than a month's fuel on hand and filter at every transfer. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-20          4083

I do it the same way that you do, and try to enjoy every minute of it! At leastI know that the fuel is fresh and I get to try different brands. Notice how differently they all smell and run? A good hint is to tie a nylon stocking overthe end of the pour spout so that it strains the fuel. Roger L ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Stanley

1999-05-20          4088

Since I don't use a tremendous amount of diesel fuel I use both a 5 gallon containerand a 1 1/2 gallon container. To make it easier for me when the 5 gallon can isfull I usually fill the little can and dump that into the tractor. Then I goback and refill the smaller can repeating the procedure until the 5 gallon canis light enough to fill the tractor. I also use a large funnel. I know it takesa few steps but it works pretty good for me. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Keith Boyd

1999-05-20          4092

One way I was thinking of trying is: get one of those little drill powered pumps (I think Northern carries them) and use it with my cordless DeWalt drill. I think that those pumps in/out ports are sized to use most any 1/2" garden hose. All you have to do is get two short pieces of hose, hook one each to inlet/outlet of the pump, secure the pump driveshaft into the drill chuck, and start pumping. I bet that would work pretty good, but won't know for sure till I try it! ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Norm

1999-05-20          4108

Sounds feasible, just don't use garden hose with diesel since, I suspect, it will decompose. Use clear vinyl for diesel, which has the added benefit of seeing if any junk has made its way into the hose before it ends up in your engine's filter. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
dick

1999-05-20          4123

I too have gone through the 5 gallon lift and pour routine for a number of years.I finally got a 55 gal drum and manual pump arrangement. However my summer monthlyfuel use runs less than 30 gallons and winter use is under 10 gallons. So the bigdrum idea won't work well in the winter cause the fuel will stay in too long andit's always best in cold weather to keep the drum full to stop condensation.I saw a $1.98 plastic siphon arrangement with a amall hand bulb pump to primeNow all I do is get the can on the fender, stick this siphon in tank and can prime the the siphon and it nearly empties the fuel can in under a couple of minutes.No spill when starting the transfer and when I've transferred enough there'sa small screw plug that I unscrew to stop the siphon.You still have to hump the can up on the tractor with this solution but much less mess. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-05-20          4133

I've done the 5 gal can routine, and hand pumped from 30 and 55 gal drums, the best so far is the 500 gal drum mounted on a stand, a twsit on pre filter and 1 inch hose with a regular fuel shut off nozzle like the ones at the gas station. The CO-OP fills me up and gives me a 3 cent per gal discount to boot. The cost of my system is less than a 125.00 from a farm auction, less fuel of course. I'm fueling 3 tractors, and a gen set, so this is great for me. If you only have 1 tractor, this may be over kill, a 55 or 100 gal drum could be set up this way, but I would stress putting a pre fuel filter on the drum. Your CO-OP may not respond to your location to fill your drum for this amount of fuel, so your back to hauling yourself. Hmmm.... Maybe an additional fuel tank in the back of your pick up woud be better. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
David

1999-05-21          4154

Got a nifty gadget which solved the problem for me. I was going to get a expensive hand pump from the local farm supply until I saw this.Hand held battery (D cell) fuel transfer pump. Made and sold for Kerosene heaters. Cost me under $15 at Home Depot. Warnings all over the package against using for gasoline but worked great for K1 and D2. They also had a hand pump one for a couple bucks less.It has a 18" or so pick up hose, blue handle with battery at the top with a on/off button. Delivery hose comes out the side near the top witha couple feet of delivery hose. Takes a few minutes to empty a 5 gal can but does it without spillinga drop.David ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Dave

1999-05-21          4155

Suggestions for those who use a lot of fuel are adequately covered. For those how only use a little the make pump kits to go on plastic fuel contaners. So you can still buy your fuel fresh in a 5 gallon jug and use the pump to fill the tank with no mess. They are just hand pumps but when your only putting in 5 gallons it should be fast enough. You will still have to get the can close though. ....

Transferring Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Mike Ducello

1999-05-29          4470

Good Idea! - I was having the same thoughts as I read through these messages.I just bought my tractor and have fueled it once - what a pain in the @#!#$#.It has a strainer in the filler neck of the tank so will only take so much flow.Any faster and it overflows all over the place. Spent 15 min holding 5gal canand funnel standing on front tire with one knee on hood straddling loader arm.By the way - I am hooked on this message board since I ran across it couple ofweeks ago. Good Work! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login