Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oil filter for Kubota B7500

View my Photos
Duane
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-23          38964

When I serviced my B7500 at 50 hours, I was given an oil filter that wasn't the same as the original that came on the tractor.

I took it back and told them it wasn't the same but they said it was the right one so I took it home and put it on.

Then at the 100 hour service they gave me a filter that matched the original filter that came on the tractor... and it was about twice the cost.

Now at 200 hours they gave me another filter like the one I got at the 50 hour service. The original filter was gray and the number on it was 15241-32093.

The other filter they have been giving me is smaller in diameter and length, is white in color, and has the number 70000-15241 on it. The gray one cost over 10 bucks and the white one was around 5 bucks.

Is there any difference in the two? Both are kubota filters. I left the gray one on for now since I don't really have to change the filter until I have 300 hours on the tractor. (going by mfg's reccommended oil filter change intervals of 200 hours) Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-23          38966

If Art sees your post, I am sure he can answer your question. I just purchased two for my 2910 that cost around 10 bucks each, from the dealer. Sometimes filters are made smaller in size to fit more than one application, happens in the auto industry all the time. I would opt for the largest one available, especially if you are going to go the 200 hour intervals. ....

View my Photos
Duane

2002-05-23          38968

Yeah, I would just as soon have the bigger one myself... I asked them for it, but they said the smaller one was the number in the computer... why that number changed twice between the two times I bought filters... I have no idea... unless they are getting them cheaper or something... I wonder If there is somewhere I could mail order my filters? Maybe a web site? I haven't done a search on that yet... might be an avenue. As far as what intervals to change filters goes, I would just as soon change them evey 100 hours with the oil... Don't suppose it makes too much difference. If they say you can go 200 hours I reckon that's as good a time as any to change it. The only reason I didn't change it this time (after only 100 hours) was cause I couldn't bring myself to put that little white bugger on there... ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-24          38975

Larger seems better, at least that's how it seems to me. But I'm setting here thinking: Why is it I think that?

Maybe another way of thinking about it is that big doesn't necessarily produce better filtering. I've heard of fuel filter elements rated in term of microns. I think the rating refers to the smallest sized particles they'll remove. More of the same filter paper doesn't mean it will take out smaller particles. It would provide more flow at a given pressure and probably would last longer though.

So, if a small filter provides adequate flow and doesn't clog between scheduled changes it might do the same job as a big one. I might be getting sucked in by a 'big is better' bias. From that perspective there is an ironic possibility. I've heard that air filters actually filter better after some use. There's a small possibility that a big filter actually doesn't do as good a job as a small filter. Of course, if the filter is bigger because it has an anti-drain-back valve, then big is good. It would help if somebody who knows this stuff responds. My speculation may be more than a little off.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-24          38981

Larger should be better in two ways larger filter area and larger oil capacity. As the oil also provides cooling the increased size will provide greater efficiency. More oil is better for filtration.
I would think the service interval should be time and hours. As the acid are built up in the oil I would think 100 hrs or every 6 months. For me this is normally every 50 hours. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-25          39007

A good comment Peters. I gather that more filter area and more oil does improve filtering efficiency. It's always good for me to examine why I think something it true.

I guess I'm still trying to understand this in a bit more complex way. I wonder if pressure on the element or pressure differential across the element has an effect as well as the length of time oil is in contact with the element have effects. I can see how larger filter volumes and filter areas in conjunction with inlet and outlet port diameters would effect filter pressures.

Of course, in all this there is an assumption that a large physical filter also has a large filter area. I think there is an old discussion in the archives that casts doubt on the assumption. One participant cut various filters in half to examine the elements.

View my Photos
Duane

2002-05-25          39013

my only real concern is whether or not the one for ten bucks is somehow better than the one for 5 bucks. For twice the price it should be... and if it is, where can I get one if my dealer only has the little white ones? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-25          39015

The larger the filter element area the greater the holding capacity, the better the filter. The other factor is the media itself and the mean pore size and distribution. The active agent is the filter element, suppliers will vary the amount in the can to reduce costs, most of us just look at the can. The can costs very little extra. You can get a larger can and less filter media.

The greater the media area the less back pressure the filter will apply to the system (pore size and distribution being equal). As material builds up in the filter the back pressure will increase and softer material, varnishes etc can be pushed thtough the filter.

Which filter is better? Disregard the dimensions of the can look at the size of the filter element. Count the number of pleats and the length and determine the number of elements.

The larger can help capacity but the increase is not as important as the elements in the filter.

The only other factor is the rubber O ring. There are Bun-N, Viton and Silicon rubber. As failures can occur on the rings I normally look for the Silicon O rings as they provide the best seal. Unfortunately unless Motorcraft or OEM, I have found the seals not to be brand specific, but filter.

If you look back on earlier posts a lot of this is covered.

For example: The larger filter on my Cummings diesel in my truck I buy at Autozone. Two filters were sold which fit Duesch and Mobil 1. On close inspection I determine they are the same supplier and the same filter. I don't need the fancy paint job on my oil filter for 2x the price thank you.

If you are concerned about the price why buy Kubota? The JD filters are not the best and Deere buys them from someone else and paints on the Deere logo. The price is OK and the quality OK so I will buy if I am near a dealer. Some of the MF filters for my old MF are clearly not the best filter so I tend to buy NAPA or someone else. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-05-25          39019

I couldn't understand so many posts on this filter question so I decided to take a look. This is a common question to us and it is a almost simple answer. The cheaper filter part number beginning with 1 is an american made replacement and the more expensive filter part number beginning with a 7 is the Japanese original in design. The books Kubota gives us cover both but not together so depending on the parts person you were working with and his knowledge of kubota might be why the same dealer would give you both at different times. Most all manufacturers at this time offer filters to compete with the discount houses prices and still offer you a good filter or one that they recommend and at an affordable price. Yes they are built different and one is better than the other but they are a factory offered filter so you should not run into any warrentee problems if a condition does arise. ....

View my Photos
Duane

2002-05-25          39040

It's not so much that I am concerned about price Peters... it just seemed that 10 bucks should get a guy a pretty good filter. Truth be known, I would rather spend the few extra peso's and have the better one. I imagine that it doesn't matter too much though, how good a filter you have, if you are changing your oil every 100 hours... factory reccommended filters will surely do the job... looking at it this way, I don't suppose there is anything wrong with the little white filter they gave me. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-26          39054

In some discussions people mentioned a by-pass valve. I think the idea is that the valve opens if too much back-pressure is present--due to a clogged filter for example. I don't know if all filters have bypasses or even if it's a desirable feature. I guess a bypass would keep oil going to the engine if the filter clogged, but a bypass also might circulate unfiltered oil without the operator knowing it

I just buy the NH filter. The physical size is about half the hydraulic filter. I don't know if any of the filters that would cross-reference to a factory filter are larger or smaller (I think that a cross-referenced filer just means one fits whether the elements are comparable or not). For myself, I don’t worry too much about filter size. I have to assume that the efficiency is OK if it’s recommenced and a smaller filter would just have a shorter service life. I don’t push the service life, because I change oil at least once a year whether I put 100-hours on the engine or not.

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-26          39074

Art you a world of knowledge here. I purchased two oil filters and a hyd filter (actually I had to order them) from my dealer so I would have original equipment when the time came. Well, the time came today right after I finished working on my water trench, so I dumped the oil and filter on my break while the oil was warmed good. Guess what, the filters they had to order because there were none in stock were not the correct ones. The engine oil filter they gave me had a smaller tapped hole and was at least and inch larger in diameter. In fact it was so fat, it hit the cooling line when I tried to install it. I noticed the size difference before I removed the old one, but since Kubota does not put any part numbers on them, I could not check to see if it was the correct one. I know they come in different physical sizes, so I figured it must be right. I even measured the gasket sizing to make sure it was OK. Needless to say, I was plenty p_ _ _ _d off when I had to re-install the old filter to use the tractor. I am going to call them Tuesday when they open, but they probably still don't have a filter, so I will go against my grain and pick up an after market unit on my way home for the time being. I am going to change to synthetic oil in 50 hours anyhow, so it won't be on that long. Do you know the correct number for the 2910 oil filter? The book doesn't even have it available (not unsusual though). Thanks in advance Art. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-05-29          39133

Cutter, the part number for the B-2910 filter is 16271-32099. It was 16271-32092 but has been replaced. The newer Kubota's are only running the american filter number's where on the older models we had both. The change on the last digit just tells us which depot they are shipped from. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-29          39155

Thank you Art. I picked up a WIX that directly cross referenced to the number, it cost less than seven dollars with the tax. They tell me that WIX will stand behind their filters 100% to meet or exceed manufacturer's specs and will replace an engine that is damaged as a result of their products. The Kubota filters the dealer sold me were around $12 each, and I guess for the sake of arguement it is worth using them. Does the OEM filter have the same great guarantee to protect against defects or faulty performance? Just curious. I pulled out my supply of filters from under my workbench shelving and came across one N/H oil filter I had not used on the other machine. The invoice was still with it and I was shocked at what I saw. The N/H dealer's mechanic (at my request) had dropped an oil filter, a fuel filter and one Hydraulilc filter for servicing at a later date when he was on one of many warranty visits to my garage in 2000. I had one filter they had given me at the time of purchase and used that along with the other parts at 50 hours. The invoice was stuck to that last filter I found in my cabinet. I had neglected to look at the bill for parts, due to the fact that we were tearing my new tractor apart at the time and my mind was elsewhere. They charged me almost $70 for those three filters. The fuel filter was less than ten bucks. I think I flushed pure red Sunday when I found that invoice, but it is way too late to complain. I would like to know what the other members of this board have paid for N/H tc29D OEM filters. I think I was totally ripped-off as a trusting and loyal customer, by the dealer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login