Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Dan Bessette
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-12          25426

Much thanks to all who participate in the discussions on this board. Thanks to you I have been able to answer a lot of my questions and I finally bought a JD 4600. It was delivered last week and I love it so far. I have the FEL and 48 backhoe and I'm quite happy with it's performance thus far. However, I'm almost to the point of refueling it and I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of an easier way to get 12 gallons of diesel into the little hole in the hood without physically pouring it out of a five gallon container. I've thought of possible syphoning it out of a container that is raised in the bucket, but there must be an easier way. Maybe some sort of small electric pump. Or even a 25 gallon or so tank with a hand pump. Any suggestions??Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel pump

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-13          25432

Northern Tool has a small inexpensive hand pump that replaces the cap on standard gas containers. I just set the container on the tractor seat, put the hose into the tank and pump away. It works, but I might replace it with a more expensive pump if I found one. It does take quite a few strokes to pump 5-gallons, but at least there's no balancing, spilling or overflowing. I too use red gas containers, but recognize the possibility of confusion and realize I should replace them with yellow diesel containers. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-13          25437

Dan, I buy my diesel in a 55 gallon barrel and use a lever action, $25 hand pump. You can get similar pumps at Tractor Supply Co., Northern Tool, Gebo's, or most any other farm supply store, and they're adjustable for smaller barrels, too. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Glenn

2001-03-13          25440

I tried two or three hand pumps before I stumbled on the little handpump that TomG is talking about and it is the best thing I've found so far. I paid about $12 for it on sale as I recall. It works well, but doesn't seem to be very well constructed so I anticipate having to replace it before too long. I keep checking the nets to see if someone else has a better one to recommend. I don't use enough fuel to warrant having 55 gallons on hand and I sure don't want to lug around anything more than a 5 gallon container. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-13          25446

We drill out the vent hole on a standard 5 gal. container and thread in an air valve (like a tire fill valve) then just use a piece of tubing just small enough to slip down the neck of the spout and reach the bottom of the container, and place a pipe clamp or some silicone around the pipe/neck joint. Then you can either use a 'bike' pump or small air pig to pressurize the container. A few psi will drive the fuel up into the tank from ground level, if the tractor gets full before the container is done just release the air valve and the hose drains back into the container. If you want to get fancy you can put a valve on the hose. We also have barrel 'bung nuts' modified to do the same thing with 45 gal. drums, works great. Best of luck. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-13          25447

Tom, I use blue containers for diesel fuel, which may be intended for kerosene, but which I find readily in hardware stores. Murf, as usual, I love your idea and am now planning to modify a cap for my containers so I can swap it from one to the other. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Dan Bessette

2001-03-13          25451

Thanks guys. I don't think I'll have the need for fifty gallons, but I like the idea of a pump that fits a five gallon can. One pump and a couple of cans and I'll be in business.

Diesel pump

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-13          25452

Dan: While we're on the subject, the next hurdle is changing hydraulic oil. Trying to pour from a 10-gallon pain into a funnel on top of the transmission is a real pain. Trying to hit the fill hole on the front axle is even worse. For me, Northern Tool again had the answer called a pail pump. The pump is a lever type piston pump that mounts in a metal lid that is designed to replace the standard lid of an oil pail. It's not exactly cheap, but worth every cent. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-13          25466

I stuck a pump right in my heating oil tank. Its been like that for ove 10 years now. Before that messed around with cans. Come the BIG ICE STORM PTO generator will be fine. I get about 2 hours per gallon average use. Alittle less on mower at PTO. I like it!!!! ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
charlie

2001-03-13          25474

go to www.toddusa.com and click on caddys.i bought one last year from gepplers.good luck ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
VT Steve

2001-03-13          25481

WARNING Harvey's suggestion is good one for a number of reasons. You actually have the fuel oil deliverred to your place. You probably pay less than you would if you bought it in small quantity. You are not paying road tax for it. You are not paying sales tax (at least for residential use in most states). You'll always have plenty of it! BUT WARNING -- make absolutely sure that the pump is sealed into your tank (threaded into bung hole) and that it is performing properly (no air leaks). If it leaks air, the "whistler" that the oil company uses to ascertain when your tank is full will not whistle correctly and you run the risk of having the oil fill person either not putting enough oil in your tank (thinks it's full when it isn't) or, heaven forbid, they will fill your basement or yard with oil!! I have heard of it happening and it didn't sound pretty! By the way, my NH TC35 has the fill located in the back of the tractor, still up high, but with a nice large (3"+) diametr fill opening. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-14          25488

Tapping into a furnace oil tank sounds interesting. I know furnace oil is virtually the same as #2 diesel. However, I don't know if furnace oil always is as clean as that sold as #2 diesel fuel. It might be a good idea to check with the oil dealer. I'd also want to make sure that the pump feed didn't go near the bottom of the furnace oil tank and maybe install an in-line filter on the pump. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Glenn

2001-03-14          25493

Murf--There are solutions and then there are elegant solutions and I think your use of compressed air to transfer diesel fuel is just that!! A couple of reservations: (1) acknowledging my personal klutsyness, I would most likely spray myself in the face at some point in the process; and (2) if there happened to be contamination in the last bit of fuel in the container (condensation or sediment) that normally would be emptied out as a precaution, this would probably be sucked up and put in the tractor. However, I plan to try this; it sounds like a great idea. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
dsg

2001-03-14          25517

I have a 275 Gal. horizontal Tank on a home made single axle trailer. The Tank has 4 openings on the top. At one end I put in a Fillrite DC operated Fuel transfer pump, which is at the rear of the trailer.In the next hole I placed the fill gage and whistle, the next hole I just put in a plug and the last hole which is at the front of the trailer I placed the filler pipe. I leave the trailer tougue which is on a jack about 2" lower than the rear of the trailer. David ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Murf

2001-03-15          25540

Glenn, as you mentioned, with most things, elegance is the key. Back-splash is no problem, you just put the hose in the tank BEFORE you pressurize the can. As for the 'stuff' in the bottom of the container, this is actually a SAFER way to do it, since the air pressure is unable to keep the diesel (or whatever) in the hose by itself, it depends on displacing the material in the container, when the container is nearly empty the air merely bubbles past the last little bit and the remainder merely runs back into the container. The other handy thing is you can run an air regulator turned down to a few psi, and if your sure there is room in the tank or have a auto sut-off hose, the machine can be left to fill itself unattended. Best of luck. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
CaseyR

2001-04-17          26824

As to putting in 90 wt oil and hydraulic fluid, I have a couple of suction guns - similar to a grease gun without the lever action but you pull or push the oil in/out with the handle stickout out the back. With one I suck the old oil out and with the other one I suck up a pint or so of new oil and squirt it in. Most auto supply stores sell these. ....

Diesel pump

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-04-19          26956

Another idea for cleanly transferring small amounts of fuel is what I have been doing. I bought a $25 fuel transfer lever pump for 55 gallon barrels at an auto parts store. Then I bought one of those 5 gallon steel military-style Jeep cans. The lever pump bung thread is exactly the same as the gas can, but the intake pipe is too long. I cut off the lower part of the pump intake pipe to fit in the gas can. A 6' length of 5/8" ID plastic tubing and a hose clamp finish up your fueling station. The can stays on the floor and you can pump fuel directly into your tank without any spillage. Works great, and the all-steel construction of the lever pump will probably outlast those plastic pumps you see for sale. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login