Go Bottom Go Bottom

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
Harry Webster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-15          22478

I changed the engine oil and filter in my 4100 the other day and noticed that it takes a lot less oil than the owners manual calls for. Am I doing something wrong or is the manual incorrect?Harry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell

2000-12-15          22480

There have been several posts about this problem (I think it was on this board). I changed oil in my 4100 two weeks ago. With a new filter, my dip stick said full after only two quarts of oil. The manual is wrong. I think that the manual was written for a larger filter, rather than the miniature one that Deere puts on the tractor. Of course, there isn't room for a larger one.

Joe ....

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-16          22519

Harry, It's very possible the manual is wrong. I bought a 4700 in July and the manual that came with the tractor had numerous mistakes in it. I call JD and got an updated manual about a month ago. The old manual said the engine oil capacity was 6.2 qt's the new one says 5.1, big diff. Just another problem with rushing a product to market. David ....

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-28          33498

Just to add my two bits to the pile..... I changed the oil and filter on my 4100 a couple days ago and thanks to this thread I was careful about how much oil to use. It took two quarts to hit max on the dip stick, not the 2.8 the manual calls for. Now the only question to answer is wether the dipstick is properly calibrated. ....

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
GJ Archibald

2002-08-19          41378

I know this is an "older" thread, but I just wanted to say how grateful I am I read this ! I did my first
oil change and had I not read this, I would have been up the creek without a paddle and draining oil
all day. BTW, I added 2 quarts and that was still too much and I had to drain out a little more to get the
level below the "full" line on the stick. I had the tractor on level ground and let it drain to almost nothing
was coming out, so I was surprised that it took LESS than 2 quarts. Also, is the oil color supposed to
be dark ? I was expecting the dipstick to look nice and clear just like on a car after an oil change. The
oil on my tractor still has a black tinge to it. ....

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
Peters

2002-08-19          41382

If you allow the oil to go to 100 hrs then the oil will be very dark when drained. A little oil remaining in the engine will quickly discolor the new oil.
A diesel engine produces a lot more soot than a gasoline engine.
Peters ....

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
GJ Archibald

2002-08-20          41403

Thanks for the info....I changed the oil at 48 hours ....

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-20          41405

What is described sounds normal to me. I sometimes change oil around 50 hours and the new oil isn't entirely clean. The old oil is black and 'slops' when poured.

I take care to work the tractor when the engine temperature is well within the normal range. I think a cool running engine puts more soot and acids in the oil. I know the engine is in a good temperature range when if puffs a bit of light-gray smoke on acceleration. I'd suspect the engine needs some adjustment if there were more exhaust smoke.

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
JIM H

2002-10-10          43637

IS THE MANUAL RIGHT FOR THE MODEL 4110. I WILL NEED TO CHANGE IN A FEW WEEKS?
WHAT OIL FILTERS DO YOU GUYS USE? I KNOW THE BEEN POSTED IN THE PAST BUT TIMES CHANGE. I USED FRAM FOR YEARS. CHECKING HERE ON THE BBS, FEW LIKE THEM? ....

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-10          43643

There's a lot of reading in the archives about oil and filters. There's some indication that the filtering on some filters that cross-reference to factor filters may not be equivalent to factor filters. Some filters may have anti-drainback or bypass features that factory filters may have or lack. Using a filter with a feature that a factory filter lacks may or may not be an improvement. Sometimes warranty issues can become involved in things like parts substitutions.

Anyway, it takes a bit of time to sort out the issues. I usually go through one set of filters a year so the cost of factory filters isn't a big consideration--at least it hasn't motivated me to do the research I want to do before using a cross-referenced filter. But who knows, maybe some of the after-market filters are better than what I buy from NH.

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-10          43646

Jim, the issue with Fram is that they have had a bunch of different owners in the last few years, and along the way someone made a loss leader out of them and cheapened the product. Those in the know are also saying that the product has come back up in terms of materials and quality. But back a few years some members on this board had oil filter failures with Fram. Once burned, twice smart. Like Tom I have decided to buy filters where consistent quality is more important than price points over the competition.

jd4100 oil capacity

View my Photos
Jim H

2002-10-10          43666

GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. JUST ORDERED FROM AMSOIL. ATF, FILTERS, GREASE, GEAR OIL, DIESEL OIL.
ALL THE THREADS REFERENCED THEM AS THE BEST. AFTER THE BREAK IN THE FLUIDS ARE GOING TO BE TOP OF THE LINE.....I THANK ALL WHO PARTICIPATED HERE AND ON MANY OF THE OTHER BBS ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login