Go Bottom Go Bottom

Grease guns

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-29          141637

I used to use a manual fill non-cartridge grease gun. It was a mess to fill so I bought a couple of pistol grip cartridge guns. These don't seem to be much of an improvement. How are you supposed to put in a new cartridge and get it "primed" without getting grease everywhere? After installing a new cartridge there is usually an air bubble at the top of the barrel. With the bubble in there you can pump the gun till the cows come home and no grease will come out. The gun has a bleed screw at the top. When the bleed screw is loosened grease shoots out of the bleed hole and I can't get the screw back in without recreating a bubble. It seems that half of each cartridge is wasted getting the gun loaded and pumping. How do you guys get your cartridge style guns loaded without making a huge mess?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Grease guns

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-29          141639

I replace bleed screw with a zerk fitting and use an awl to depress the ball bearing to get the air out. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-29          141640

I just tighten the hose by hand enough to keep it from leaking much around the threads, when you replace a cartrige if she don't take just screw the hose out of the gun and pump till there is grease, still a mess, but it works. Frank. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-29          141643

I haven't had a prblem with grease squirting out the bleeder. Mine have a spring-loaded you depress.

I use a cheapy ($20), air-operated gun and press the trigger a few times before it's primed.

Have you tried the cordless Lincoln-brand grease guns. You'll be asking yourself why you went without one for sooo long. They're not cheap about $200(+)(-) ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
Hettric

2007-04-29          141647

My pet peve is that when the gun is loaded, cleaned, and ready, later when you go to use it, oil has seperated out and leaked all over. I have the Lincon air powered unit and it is no better in this regard than 100 year old designs pump units. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-04-30          141672

Hettric, you mean the oil separates out of the grease? I've never seen that with the greases I've used.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I like the zerk idea and will give that a try. Something like a brake bleeder valve would be easier but there's no seat on the bleeder vent for a bleeder to bite in to. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-30          141680

KW; Oil seperation isn't uncomon especially if a gun lays in the hot summer sun for a day. It may be common to only certain types or formulas of grease, I don't know, but mine does that all the time if left in the sun. Frank. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-01          141690

My grease guns all have threads on BOTH ends of the barrel, I uscrew both ends after pulling the plunger back and locking it in the retracted position, then I put the grease tube in the barrel and screw the pump back on, this prevents a big air bubble at the top from sliding the new cartridge in, then I screw on the bottom end and release the plunger.

I rarely get more than about 2 pumps before there's normal grease flow.

If you try to slide a new cartridge in with the pump in place, you will trap an enormous amount of air in the top of the grease gun.

Best of luck. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-01          141692

I do the same as Murf and get good results. If it does not pump in a couple of so stokes I unscrew the pump end JUST A LITTLE and the air will escape without pushing grease around the threads.

If I may ask a differnet question, went to an air grease gun and found out it makes the same sound whether or not it is pumping grease into say a bearing. I found this out by chance and quit using unless the grease joint is one where you can see the grease escaping. Have any of you found this also? I went back to manual as you know if it is pushing grease into a covered bearing or such. kt ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-05-01          141694

Ditto on Murf's comments.

I have had the same Craftsman grease gun since I was a teenager. The only thing I can add is that I don't detach the plunger end but just pull and lock the plunger. I then reattach the pump end, and before I release the plunger I turn the bleed screw open a turn and regulate the bleed screw as I push the plunger in, I tighten the bleed screw as soon as a little grease comes out. Always pumps grease first squeeze.

Dennis ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-05-01          141711

Good ideas, I'll try 'em all. Murf, I do unscrew the pump end. The problem is the cartridges all seem to have an inch of air space at the pump end. Maybe I need to start storing them with the pop-top side down. On this gun the pop-top end has a metal ridge around it and it likes that ridge to be on the pump end. Are all cartridge style guns like that? ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
harvey

2007-05-02          141715

Ken I always store with the the pop top end down. Watch for damage to the rim. I only pull the plunger end off, the gun, to clean once or twice every couple of years.

My grease guns are never laid on there sides when stored they are hung by the pump handle and yes some of the carring fluid does leak out the bottom.

All that said ours at work are thrown, dropped, laid or carried in equipment in any way possible. Out of 40 or so guns I usually replace 5-10 a year. Many of the guns get run over... DON'T ASK ME HOW! It drives me crazy sometimes. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-02          141717

Harvey; That gets a chuckle out of me, If grease guns, pliers, 12 inch crescents, etc. would grow I'd have to take a cutting torch along to the field. Few years ago I bought two ten packs of grease tubes, some how the bag with them in got laid behind a rear tractor wheel. Nuff said. Frank. ....

Grease guns

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-02          141720

KW, try install the cartridge from the end you are not doing so now if your gun will let you. I can not remember for fact but think I drop mine in from the pump end. I would have to pull one to be sure. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login