Go Bottom Go Bottom

Red Diesel

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-24          128243

Red Diesel.

Got the first off road diesel I ever bought today.
Had to drive 24 miles from home to get it. This is the only place within 25 miles of here that has the off road diesel.
Got 28.4 gallon at 2.50 per gallon.
0n road here is2.83 to 2.95 a gallon.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Red Diesel

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-25          128257

Not to be a smartypants, but what was your net savings (or loss) after driving 50 miles? (Keep in mind wear-and-tear, your time, and the fuel to go get it, not to mention the higher emissions).

You may know this, but it's worth mentioning that even though ORD is cheaper, don't get caught by the DOT in your on-road vehicle or you'll get a big fine. All they have to do is check the color of the fuel which is why it's dyed. I see it done all the time, but that doesn't make ok. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-25          128259

Somewhere over the rainbow I thought the sulphur (it may not be suplpher) content of off road diesel was higher as some sort of benefit to the engines it runs in. Are you saying this is added just to create more pollution and there is no value to it?

How about the marine diesel? Is it also just a bigger pollution source?

Is nothing added to the ORD diesel that is not in the highway fuel? If so then why is the price not reduce by the amount of the total tax?

As to traveling 50 miles to buy ORD, it would surprise me it is not closer unless you really live in a very sparse populated area.

No, I am not a fuel or engine expert. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-25          128260

the put a dip stick down into your tank, if it comes out with even a trace of Red Dye on it, well, with 18 wheelers, it was alsmost 3 months earnings. Driver is responsible for that. If you get caugt in a regular truck and they detect the Dye, I have No Glue what the fine is, but I am sure when they think you have been cheating them out of their Fuel Tax, they will come down on you HARD.
If you buy enough ORD at a time, the trip is well worth it. I like to be sure I buy Uncut and then I add my own additive and whatever else that I decide to add. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-25          128263

WW,

What is UNCUT fuel?

Red Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-25          128268

Ibrown lives in the NWT. Distances to things are a little different in the north. There is a gas station on the highway in northern B.C. on the route to Alaska that says last gas for 150 miles and means it.
Policing is also a little different also. For example there are 120 officers in the Yukon. The Yukon is larger than Texas. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-25          128270

Eric, by "First Organized Permanent Settlement In The Northwest Territory." I think he is referring to Ohio.

I would seriously question the economics myself, it would seem to be a bunch cheaper and easier to just buy regular diesel any place handy and submit the forms to the state tax people and wait for your refund cheque.

Best of luck. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-25          128271

UNCUT means no Kerosene or additives.
The place that sells CUT diesel in town has a 1000 Gal, above ground tank on the side of the building. You can go there and fill your drums etc. It is Red but he will boast about cutting 50% with Kerosene.
I have mine delivered right to my house by the Fuel people. It is Red and it is Off road or AG and is RAW. I add Power Service and a little kerosene but not even close to 50% maybe 15%, if that. Done it that way for two Winters, no problems, no geling runs fine. The fuel people normally travel out to the farms and pump into the farmers tanks, they will come to your house and deliver if 100 gals or more. Our temps have dipped below -40, of course I wait until it hits at least zero or so before I try to move snow. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-25          128279

Murf, well that is a new one on me. I might be from the oldest township in upper Canada, but I bet no one knows where it is. Except maybe you.
If he lives in Ohio I can not imagine needing to travel that far. I can get it here with in a few miles and need to travel 25 to go shopping. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-25          128293

Not to be a smartypants, but what was your net savings (or loss) after driving 50 miles?
It wasn't 25 miles out of my way as I was already within 4 miles of the station on other business.
Four miles to that red diesel station at 2.50 made more sense than the 4 miles to my local station here at 2.95
The savings was 12.78 for the same 4 miles driven.

Don't get caught by the DOT in your on-road vehicle or you'll get a big fine.
Do you mean in the tank of the truck or are you talking about having it in cans in the pick up bed? ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-25          128296

In the fuel tank. You ca have all you want in the back, any in the tank and you can put your head between your legs and kiss it Good-bye. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-25          128297

thanks for the clarification ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-25          128298

As to traveling 50 miles to buy ORD, it would surprise me it is not closer unless you really live in a very sparse populated area.
I'm in Washington County the red diesel is in the next county. Between the two counties there's probably well over 150,000 population so no I wouldn't say this is a sparsely populated area.
They just don't sell it at the stations here.

They put a dip stick down into your tank, if it comes out with even a trace of Red Dye on it, well, with 18 wheelers, it was almost 3 months earnings.
Put a screen in the fuel tank filler pipe and they can't do that.
I had a ford truck once that had a screen in the filler pipe to prevent people from steeling gas out of it because you couldn't get a hose down into the tank.

Red Diesel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-25          128303

I would seriously question the economics myself, it would seem to be a bunch cheaper and easier to just buy regular diesel any place handy and submit the forms to the state tax people and wait for your refund check.
Murf
=========
I tried that when I filed my income tax this month but I couldn't do
it.

The fuel people normally travel out to the farms and pump into the farmers tanks, they will come to your house and deliver if 100 gals or more
If you can find a farmer willing to do it you can buy your fuel from him or make an arrangement to drop of your container and have it filled when they deliver his fuel.

Red Diesel

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-25          128307

lbrown,

If the populations is anything like you are saying, there is ORD around. Look at all the construction equipment, lawn equipment even if no farming or logging is around.

Many stations do not carry it period. Call the oil dealerships. They normally do and I think you will find at least one set up to pump it into your tank, maybe not gas can but tank. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-25          128316

lbrown, I think the form you want is the one linked to below, but check with the revenue people first.

As for the screen in the fuel tank filler, that could be a costly and futile effort. The colourant used in fuel is terrible stuff, any weepage, even a trace, will cause discolouration of the fuel filter. Besides, almost every diesel ever made has a little valve under the hood to drain the water seperator, a simple flick of that valve will render a sample of what's in the system.

You should also be careful with hauling around much fuel in containers, every jurisdiction has a limit, and it's usually not much, at which point you are hauling "flammable goods" and require placards and special endorsements, not having them can get spendy real fast.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Ohio Fuel Tax Rebate

Red Diesel

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-25          128317

Murf,

Bet they would not appreciate diesel fuel and ammonia nitrate being hauled in same bed at same time.

Red Diesel

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-25          128320

Even up here we can't joke about it.

I own a small airport and one of my tenants received a load of bagged fertilizer for the field recently. He joked to the driver that the fertilizer had arrived just in time, the diesel fuel was coming any minute and the student pilots were already there in the lounge.

In mere minutes my phone was ringing, it was our federal police wanting some answers.

In fact quite a few Canadians used to get their flight training in the US, since it's faster, easier, and cheaper there, but now Homeland Security requires a background check and security clearance first, that is if the flight school is even permitted to take them. Lots of them dont have the resources to even get cleared by the Gov. to accept foreign students. It's costing them lots of $$$ and jobs.

Best of luck. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-25          128334

I meant in the vehicle's tank. Farmers and construction equipment operators typically (and some RV owners) have transfer tanks in the bed of the truck which are intended to fill up equipment unless it is placarded On Road Diesel. However these tanks are in close proximity for an impromptu vehicle fill-up when no one (like the Law) is watching---or at least they hope they aren't. The odd fuel can in the back of the truck can be just as suspect if the Law has reason to believe you (or worse saw you) are using Off Road for fill-ups. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-27          128434

Call the oil dealerships
kthompson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks------- kthompson

I took your advice and called the local--- distributors.
Found 3 of them between 4 and 7 miles from me where I can get the RED DIESEL.
One of them is the local Ashland * Marathon bulk plant that's been here for over 50 years.

Like most --distributors they require a minimum order of at least 150 gallons to deliver and you can't go there and fill up a 5 gallon can.
But they told me how to get around that if you only need 20 to 30 gallons at a time. ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-27          128435

lbrown,

Your are welcome. Glad to help.
kthompson ....

Red Diesel

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-27          128436

lbrown,

Your are welcome. Glad to help.
kthompson ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login