Go Bottom Go Bottom

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-21          128082

I have been reading up on engine oil for diesels.

It seems to be as Art has been saying for a long time, that not all oils are designed to stand up to the 100 percent power settings we use most of the time with our CUT's.

So I settled on John Deere's Plus 50 0w-40 full synthetic because it is advertised to go the distance with high power settings.

BUT.... wouldn't you know it? There isn't a tractor dealer within 200 miles that stocks the stuff. So the idea came to me in the middle of the night that Deere is a much bigger company than ag/compact tractors.

So, I called the local Deere construction equipment company and they have Plus 50 on the shelf ready to go.

And here is the good part.... It is $12.20 a Gallon.

That is cheaper that Shell Rotella Synthetic at Wally World!

I am on my way..........

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-21          128083

Another informative link.....

Link:   

Click Here

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-21          128092

At that price. Fill her up. Do you think it is a full synthetic like Mobil or a hydrotreated oil like the Shell?

I guess I will need to check with the local dealer. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-21          128101

Does Mobil has a diesel syn oil?

Their old Mobil One is not always full syn now. They offer it in two blends if not mistaken. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-21          128105

Well, it turns out that we a misunderstanding on the phone.

They quoted me a price on the Plus-50 15w-40 which is not a full synthetic.

I will keep you posted on the actual price of the 0w-40 Synthetic when the special order they placed comes in.

Eric.... I am not sure where the base material comes from. Some folks on the internet believe it is made by Chevron to Deere specs. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-21          128107

KThompson.... Mobil 1 is rated for diesel use and Mobil also has a specific diesel synthetic called Delvac 1.

But the question at hand is if either of the above oils are rated for 90 percent+ continuous engine output. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-21          128109

Eric, here is the info..... please interpert as I don't understand all of it.

Enter Plus-50 in the search box and then scroll to the 0w-40 product.....

Thanks. ....

Link:   

Click Here

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-21          128115

It is a hydrogenated oil like Shell, Pensoil, Quaker or PetroCanada. Lucas is know for additives not their oil per say. They are not distilling their own base stocks just blending oils. ....

Link:   MSDS

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-22          128127

I think JD did a good job of showing you the differences. When the tractor owners manual is suggesting the oil change intervals it is for comparable oil to their designed oil not what you might find at every Wally World or TSC. When people come in ask about oil change intervals I often recommend increased frequency do to the grades of oil they choose to use. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
Chief

2006-04-22          128129

Mark, I have been using John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 for about 4 years in most everything I own. It is made by Chevron for Deere. Buy it in the 55 gallon drum and you can save even more on the price. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-04-22          128136

Check out AMSOIL at www.amsoil.com. AMSOIL was the first to mass produce synthetic oils and sell them to the public. All they do is make synthetic oils and greases and they even offer a full synthetic tractor hydrostatic/hydraulic oil. Yes, beware of those hydrocracked synthetics MOBIL took Castrol to court over the issue of base stock synthetics. Also see www.redlineoil.com as they too have a 15W40 Diesel oil. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
Chief

2006-04-22          128141

Easy Mark................. count to 1,000. ;O) ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-22          128144

It is interesting to see that JD is using Lucas oil as their supplier. Lucas in not that old, but has done well in the heavy trucking industry. The man that started it was a trucker. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-23          128177

996, 997, 998, Thanks Cheif.... 999,... 1000.

Ok. That helped a little.

Haven't we heard from all twelve Amsoil apostles by now?

Or did one of them die and this is a new one?? ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-23          128181

bloggins..... I am probably being a bit unfair to you and I don't wish to make you feel unwelcome here.

I did note that you mentioned Red line Oil so you are probably not our usual Amsoil spammer type.

We get a lot of drive-by Amsoil dealers who swoop in whenever someone starts a thread on oil or lubrication and some of them are real zealots and downright religious about it.

I have had good success with Red lines diesel additives but I have never tried their oil, mostly because it retails around here for $8.00++ a quart.

Anyway, Art White finally got my attention on the power output vs. the oil rating thing, so I am only focusing in on oils that are formulated (and advertised) for off-road/Ag use where we run our engines at full power most of the time. This, as opposed to a car or truck engine that mostly loafs along at 30-50 percent power.

Anyway, I have read everything Amsoil has put out for the last 26 years and read everything offered by Red line. Both seem to formulate diesel oils for cars and trucks and not for Ag/off-road use. ....

OK ART You convinced me

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-25          128274

Randy... I really like the concept of having a barrel of oil and putting it in everything. What gives me pause is the two Toyota engines.

They are designed to run on 5w-30 energy saving oils and when I have used something heavier I can feel the difference in acceleration and see the difference in fuel mileage.

So I guess I will give the tractor what it needs, put the Mobil 1 in the Toyota's and get a third oil for the Samurai... it likes a 40 weight and it loses to much of the stuff to run synthetics....... and something else for the lawn mower engines..... oh, and then there is the Honda Rincon......I think my head hurts......... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login