Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-11          122620

I live out in the county miles away from any city center. People decide to dump dogs on us. The old beagle was sick and I was never sure he new exactly where he was going. We cared for him until he died. The mixed bred bitch that was dumped off caused a problem and the dog fights that resulted ended up in a death of the neighbors dogs. I end up burying them. I would not mind if I had a backhoe.
The golden retriever was a good dog and I enjoyed him. Unfortunately he over heated one day chasing the kids up the road to their friends. They are not really built for 100 degree heats. What do you expect from something bred in New Foundland where 70 is a hot day.
Now to the current problem. The German pointer that is so stupid the kids named him Stupid. The golden retriever (1 year old) was trained almost immediately and loved to ride with me in the back of the truck. I can not break this thing of chasing the car out the road. He tends to stand in the middle of the road and appears to have no fear of cars, despite being hit hard one day. He is a beautiful looking dog, but to me a waste of feed. You put a leash around his neck you might as well be walking air.
These are only the dogs that have stayed around there have been others, but the dogs have driven then off.
Why do people think that people in the country want their dogs. I have to drive 30 miles to take the dog to the SPCA or take the gun out and spend 25 cents on a shell. Again I would not mind if had a backhoe.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Carldarnell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-11          122622

One of the reasons is that some animal shelters charge to take an animal. People complain about all the stray dogs and cats but the animal rights people are reluctant to kill them and charge to take them. So the critter gets dumped in the sticks. We have been lucky that none have been dumped here yet. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
DeTwang

2006-01-12          122623

---------------------
Now to the current problem. The German pointer that is so stupid the kids named him Stupid
---------------------

LOL!

It's a shame that people can't honor the responsibility they take on..If you take an animal into your family, it's 'your' responsibility to care for it..understand this 'before' you take it in...or don't take it in....deciding later that it's not what you wanted does not justify driving it out into the woods and dumping it on someone else to deal with (not to mention that this is very cruel for the animal)....And if you have an animal, and aren't willing to find good homes for it's offspring, have it fixed...

Why is this so hard to understand? Of course, the people who are irresponsible with their animals, are probably just as irresponsible with their children (as well as other areas of their lives)..... ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-12          122626

Does your county have any kind of animal control dept. If so they might would set (live) traps for those dumped animals.

Sometimes they end up there not by design but by accident. We have golden retreiver (great dog and our summers are hard on them) rolled off of pickup tool box twice before he learned to stay off of tool boxes. Had a young pointer that just jumped out of pickup while driving it.

Have had dogs from miles away show up from miles away in my yard that were being hunted by their owner.

Now, a person that cares for their dog you normally find the name tag.

I think you are right on a person often cares for their animals and children very similar. Some care for the dog more, sadly. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-12          122630

I know everyone in a five mile radius around the house and never tied up any of these dogs. The beagle and the golden I check to see who the owner could be. From the pointer it was apparent, the person that bought the dog in the first place was only slightly brighter than the dog. I am sure he spent some dollars. It has it tail cropped and due claws removed. All three of the dogs we have kept were pure bred. Naturally we have run off a number and taken one to the SPCA. The neighor up the road has probably take a couple of dozen to the pound in the same period. Maybe the wolves next door were not that bad an idea?

I don't know of any animal control in the area. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-12          122640

Eric, I can identify with your frustration. All of our dogs came from the pound off of death row. We paid to have the neutered and shot. We had someone dump off a bitch koonhound that I could not run off for the life of me. The SPCA would not take her, nor would the animal control dept. I went out to shoot the poor thing and end her misery and I just could not bring myself to pull the trigger. I coaxed her up to the house, fed her and took her to the vet to get spayed and shots. She turned out to be a wonderful and very intelligent dog but she had the urge to run all over the country side. As much as I did my best to train her to stay around the house; she would run, and finally got hit by a car and killed. The entire family and I were tore up. Never again! It just makes my blood boil how people dump their pets and their garbage on us and think nothing of it. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-12          122644

Chief,
I realize this varies but if you find someone who dumps anything with such as their address in it you may have your state or county go after them on littering laws. Our county is really firm on that.

Shame it is next to impossible to do same with most animals.

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-12          122647

KT, I am not above digging through the trash and finding an old reciept or bill with a name and phone number. I have done this 2 times already and had a state troop pay a visit to one who came and picked up the mess and the other came and cleaned it up when I called. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-12          122653

I hate it when people dump animals. My female mutt is a former pound dog. We needed to run and people didn't knwo that or care to run her. I lived in a location where I could have her chase me on the ATV. Worked great and after 5 miles at 25 mph, she's start to mellow out.

I have problems with white trash folk tossing litter in my ditch. The beer cans are the worse if I don't see them before the mower hits them. Sends shredded aluminum all over. I currently have some sort of bottle and hubcap in the ditch. It's worse in summer when the kids have the windows open or they toss the McD's garbage in the back of the truck to blow out. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
steve4300

2006-01-12          122660

People around here like to drop off cats, I finally caught one he whied only 4 lbs. got him well ,had him fixed turned out to be one of the most loveable cats we have ever had. someone even dropped off a flock of chickens. I personally wont pay for a dog or cat. My present dog a black lab / golden retriever mix cost me $75.00 at the pound fixed , shots and good manner, very smart to boot.It does make me mad when someone drops off an animal. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-12          122661

Steve; Lets not add in the cats. We raised one that showed up on the door step as a ball of fur, a yellow tabby. We have another now. I have had a black one that has taken to the barn. She hisses at me when I enter the shop, but keeps the rats down. We saw another the other day in the barn ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-13          122670

Some of you are too young to remember when soft drinks (Coke and Pepsi) were sold in glass bottles that required a deposit. The deposit had a way of getting those bottles out of the ditches and back to the bottler.
Some states have such a charge now. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-13          122675

Cans and bottles in B.C. still have a large deposit. You can walk miles to pick up a couple of cans.
A friend of mine made reverse vending machines that read the code on plastic bottles and then shred them. They also crushed the cans. The bottling companies fought tooth and nail not to have a deposit and we live with the results.
I still think the trash turn happened in B.C. when they sent the school children out in road gangs to pick it up. The roads are public and this enforces that they own them too and need to keep them clean. This created a generation that was concerned about tossing any trash. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Carldarnell

2006-01-13          122687

I can remember picking up bottles to get some money. I think it would be a good idea to put a 25cent deposit on all plastic containers. I pick up pepsi liter bottles on our private road all the time. I hope it's not the people that live here droping them.
I wonder if we could get all dogs and cats tattoed or chip implanted and then when someone buys them they are registered to them. If someone finds them running loose and turns them in to a collection agency then the finder and agency could share in a fine against the derelict owner. Sounds like a good idea to me. They use implanted chips now so critters don't even need a collar for ID. With the chip you could have a history of the dog/cat and the owners. Plus when the critter destroys property or bites someone they can't say, "it isn't my dog". ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-13          122693

In Iowa, the deposit is $.05. It helped keep the parking lot at the factory clean as there were enough empty beer bottles and cans left in the lot from lunch to make it worth someone's time to pick them all up. It wasn't the workers, but someone who drove by every day afetr lunch and picked them up. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-13          122696

Personally I think a good start to making a strong and effective deterent to dumping and littering is to change the laws and add a zero & move the decimal point on place to the right for all fines. I think that might get the attention of some folks. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-13          122716

We had stiff fines in MA and bottle returns.
I had a house on a small lake with 120 homes and a cottage on a lake with 300 cottages in Ontario. We had 2 acres each and similar water frontage. I collected a garbage bag of trash every month in MA and a couple of pieces in the spring in Ontario. I think it is training of the children. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
steve4300

2006-01-14          122733

When I was in the service in CT. I spent about 1.5 months working in the barracks . They had a 5 cent returned on cans and bottles ,on monday after superbowl weekend we had to remove all the trash that the guys had left in the halls for us. Being one of the only guys with a pick up I bet I made $50.00 halling cases of emptys to the redemption center. Not bad extra cash 20 years ago . I think I made some of my own emptys with the money. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-14          122744

I know what Peters is talking about. In Minnesota, I lived next to a school. My front yard always had Cheetos bags, chips bags, candy bar wrappers, etc. It's about training the kids. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-15          122817

I agree all of this has to do with both the way people are raised and how they value or respect others.

Little respect of onesleves in some circles much less others.

The idea of chip in dogs and such, problem would be how would you be sure the people had chips in their animals?

Hey, when a judge gives a confessed rapist 60 days what can we expect. I say tie both the rapier and judge to trash and bury all. (Some say burning is best way to get ride of TRASH.) ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Carldarnell

2006-01-16          122846

Yes, it seems little attention is given to teaching children respect for others and when they grow up guess what happens.

Chips in animals can be monitored by using a scanner. Some Vets and agencies that handle animals have the scanners now and vets and animal pounds that do can insert the chip.

The court/lawyer system is a joke. the perps keep getting arrested and going to court to support the lawyers and judges. If caught in the act of a crime they should go to jail not have some lawyer weasel them out of it with a helpful judge. Prisoners should break rock all day in a quarry. I bet most of them would not do crime again. ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-16          122863

Peters,
You might be getting a little off topic with your last post or you may be 100% on it. I think you are 99% at least on topic there. It all has to do with attitude.

I wish you well with raising your children. It is greath when (yes many years later) they tell you they understand so and so you told them years before.
kt ....

Dumped Dogs

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-16          122869

This is getting off the topic a little, although it all has to do with repect for people and throwing your troubles on someone else.
The question is how do you instill respect in citizens for the public property and others personal property. Needless to say dumping your dog on someone elses door step is a symptom not the root cause.
What I said eariler is that you need to have young people take ownership of the public property and neighborhood. The extreme is having the students spit and polish the school like they do in Japan. The moderate is having the students clean parks and road in the area around the school. In this country if I went to deface a public monument like mount Rushmore everyone would be up in arms. If I walked through the area and throw my trash no one would likely say a word. Yet both actions are defacing the monument.
I am not convinced tougher sentencing is the answer. We now have per capital 6 times the incarceration rate of the next industrialized group 7 country, yet the rate of crime is similar to other industrialized nations. The only number that is out of wack is the murder rate. (stats Nationmaster.com) Again I think it is trying to correct a problem after the fact. I think it is better to prevent problems. Like the problem dog, it is far easier to correct the problems of a puppy than after the dog is mature.
With the education system we have now the problems are dumped on the military, penal system or work force. Unfortunately the system in some areas and States is so bad that the good kids are moved out to private or homeschool, therefore the system gets worse. That said I have my hands full at the moment educating my own 2 and their friends. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login