Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 7274 - key start engaging

View my Photos
farmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-05          92773

I have a Cub Cadet 7274 4wd tractor - great tractor. I am currently having a problem with the key start engaging. I put the unit in neutral and sometimes when I turn the key it will start - sometimes it just clicks. I sometimes wiggle the shifters and try to start it and it will - sometimes it won't...any thoughts?
Thanks
Greg

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-05          92777

If it's clicking it sounds like it might be the starter solenoid going... I've also seen them do that with a bad ground, or a bad battery.

Year's old?
Is it left out side?

View my Photos
farmer

2004-08-05          92783

I try to keep it shedded as much as possible. It is funny cause when it does catch - it will start right up. So, I don't think that it is the battery. How would I check the the other part?

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-05          92786

Do you know where the solenoid is, on your tractor?

The solenoid is a switch that is controlled by the start position of the key. When you turn the key you complete the circuit which moves an electromagnet switch inside the solenoid to complete the circuit that supplies power to the starter. The Clicking could be that the electromagnet switch is stuck, or the output contact is shot.

With the Key in the on position and the gear in neutral--

You can jumper the input and output side of the solenoid, with the positive side of a jumper cable. When you do this it will spark and complete the circuit to the starter and make the engine turn over. You can also go to the + lug on the battery and connect it to starter.
Same thing...

View my Photos
farmer

2004-08-05          92794

I'm sorry - I can only read the first part of your message up to where it says "the output contact is shot..."

Can you add the rest onto another entry?

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-08-05          92795

With the Key in the on position and the gear in neutral--
You can jumper the input and output side of the solenoid, with the positive side of a jumper cable. When you do this it will spark and complete the circuit to the starter and make the engine turn over. You can also go to the + lug on the battery and connect it to starter.
Same thing...

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-08-05          92796

When you do this it will spark and complete the circuit to the starter and make the engine turn over. You can also go to the + lug on the battery and connect it to starter.
Same thing...

View my Photos
farmer

2004-08-05          92802

Ok - I will give it a try.
Thanks for your help. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-08-05          92807

Cadets have safety interlocks that go out of adjustment. Wiggle your rear PTO while turning the key. ....

View my Photos
Larry Lutz

2004-08-06          92853

My 7274 did the same thing & it had nothing to do with the starter at all
It needed to be rewired with a relay in connection with the ignition that cost about $15.00
I did it myself a year ago & have had no problem since.
I went through all the cables,removed the starter had it tested etc
But Ted at abbeywoods on this board led me in the right direction to fix the problem.
Hope this helps ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-08-13          93419

Whats the word? Did you get it working? ....

View my Photos
farmer

2004-08-13          93429

It is on the mission plan for this weekend...

View my Photos
farmer

2004-08-23          94204

I turned the tractor ignition key on..

Then I hooked up the jumper cable from the battery to the starter. The starter just spun - it did not appear to engage to the engine. The starter just spun...

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-23          94238

Did you go to the starter or to the solenoid? Some times when the jumping the starter the Bendix does not pop out and engage the fly wheel. I do not know why so I can not tell you how to correct it just to try again or a couple of times. What you want to do is go to the smallest terminal on the solenoid with a 12 volt source. Most time you can do this with a screw driver jumping the battery supply cable to the small terminal. Make sure you are in neutral with the barking brake locked!!!!! ....

View my Photos
quaddriver

2005-09-26          116990

I know this is an old post, but these problems are common with the cub 7000 series and it aint the starter solenoid. The black w/yellow stripe wire leading from the ign sw to the sol is not getting enuf voltage. There are 2 possible problems that cause it an I am engineering a permanent solution. I will post the results when done, but if someone needs help sooner, write and I will try and post a schematic as best as I can scratch. (I will be solving this problem 10/8/05) ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-09-27          117008

Larry Lutz faxed me a schematic drawing adding a solenoid to the starting circuit. This is similar to what they do on the starting circuit of combines. I had my dealer install it and it works sweet. My dealer now has done another half dozen tractors. I can scan and e-mail or fax the info. Larry really helped me out. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-09-27          117010

Another thing or two you should know about your tractor is that units equipped with loaders have a problem with the loader frame mounting bolts vibrating loose where they attach to the motor housing. You should periodically check them and use "loctite".

One more potential problem is users that are aggressive with their loaders should be aware that the rear loader mounting brackets can twist/flex and cause the bell housing to crack. Cadet offers some small reenforcement brackets to remedy this. Woods made the loaders and the brackets and offers the brackets at about 1/2 price. I did mine before any problems ocurred. I also have a MMM which makes this bracket upgrade not fit properly. I had the guys in our shop whack off the brackets and weld them directly to the other mounting bracket. I feel better about this now since I had heard rumors about some problems for years! I love my tractor!!

To my knowledge Cadet never released a service bulletin on either of these issues. ....

View my Photos
B52

2005-11-27          119917

It's almost a sure bet that your problem is with those 2 safety interlock switches (activated by the 2 shifter handles). Try this to prove it:

1) remove the guard plate from above and around the shifter handles.
2) locate the switches activated by the 2 shifter handles (you will see wires coming to and from each of them).
3) unplug the wires at the quick disconnects (they each are male-female mated pair).
4) intead of having each mated pair of quick disconnects running thru the switch, plug them into each other (you are now by-passing each safety interlock switch).
5) test this set-up for a while ---- betcha anything you'll never have another problem,

Just be damn sure you have the transmission in nuetral when you start it.

In testing these switches, I've noticed they seem to be a point of high resistance when they should be closed and having virtually zero resistance to current flow !

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login