Go Bottom Go Bottom

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
mathey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-19          45179

I'm looking to get opinions good or bad on Cub Cadet 72XX and 73XX series compact tractors. There seem to be quite a few in this area used with low hours, well equipped and well priced. My "green" friend/tractor advisor says that alone says it all. It scares me that they are/were made by MTD, which has a not so good reputation. Any input is appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
larry

2002-11-19          45188

The 72xx & 73xx have Mitsubishi drive trains
I think they are fine I have a 7274 & other than this starting problem (that will hopefully be fixed soon)its been good.Lots of power,smooth running,good on fuel,uses no oil,comfortable to operate.But as Ted has stated MTD seems to be going in the TOILET as far as these models are concerned no support what so ever. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
charleyh

2002-11-19          45193

In 1996 I traded my Kubota 7100 for a cc 7275 and have never looked back. Granted the 7100 was 16 horse and the cc is 27 but there were other differences that surprised me as well. The Cub is very well built. It weighs in at 2700lbs all steel and cast iron and and there is very little plastic on it. Take a look at most other compacts today including Kubota they have plastic grills fenders and engine components. Why? its cheaper. Its an old story get people to trust a brand get comfortable with it and then little by little lessen the quality and raise the price. Who cares if the newer models are half plastic its a Kubota! Cubs have been thrown into the also ran department behind orange, blue and green since day one.And thats unfortunate for the consumer. I for one wanted a compact tractor or scaled back farm/ag tractor not a beefed up riding mower.
I have never had a bit of trouble with mine. I do loader work with it snowblowing plowing mowing skidding ect. I have close to 800hrs on it and would never trade it. I'm not sure whats going on with the MTD company re: parts and repair as I've never needed anything but filters.(As far as Im concerned its a mitsubishi) however MTDs support would be nice! You want my opinion there it is. Dont sell yourself short examine what you are getting for the price. The cc7xxx are great tractors compare them all and I think you'll realize what I'm trying to say. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
jdfan

2002-11-19          45195

Ok my id says I am a deere fan, no bashing here CC is a good product but I worry about resale value and where MTD is taking the comapny

Look around, see many cc dealers folding or calling it quits-why

dollar for dollar you cannot beat a deere product ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
PJ Drew

2002-11-20          45212

I have a Cub 7275 and love it. Its all the tractor I will likely ever need and a blast to use. Frankly, most brands are excellent. We use large JD's at my family farm and they are great too. Most people use their compacts 75-100 hours a year and you are just not going to have any trouble if you maintain them and don't abuse them. At 100 hours a year this tractor will likely out last most of us. I looked at used JD's, Kubota's and chose the Cub because I got a newer hydro tractor with lower hours for the same money. I am not worried about support, it will be there. PJ ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
whats the difference

2002-11-20          45220

between the 7265 and the 7275?

Is there an easy way to tell if it's one of the Mitsubishi models?

Thanks for all the great input! Keep em coming! ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
larry

2002-11-20          45232

They are BOTH Mitsubishi's
You might want to look in the Cub archives to read Ted-abbeywoods comments on what to look for in the "drivetrain" of these tractors-eg leaks etc before you buy ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2002-11-20          45239

Likewise, I am very happy with my 7265. An easy life of mowing got a little harder this year with the purchase of 146 acres of hunting land with lots of old skidder trails that need fixing and lots of brush that needs hogging. Nary a complaint from the CC, even right up to the belly in mud and ruts (had to push myself out with the loader more than once). Glad I sprung for the tire chains but that's a whole different thread.... ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
charleyh

2002-11-21          45243

As far as resale goes I'll let my son or his son or ect. deal with that issue. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2002-11-22          45268

Don't believe all the CC 7000 series tractor are by Mitsubishi.
CC added three new tractor that don't resemble the Mitsubishi
tractors in any way. The entire body appears to be plastic or
fiber glass, not sure which.

These are the new models.

7252, 20 hp, 2 cyl Kawasaki gas engines, 2WD, HST

7254, 20 hp, 2 cyl Kawasaki gas engines, 4WD, HST

7264, 21 hp, 3 cyl Dahatsu Diesel engines, 4WD, HST.

The Mitsubishi Cub Cadets have enjoyed an excellent reputation.
That reputation may or may not apply to this new tractors so
thread carefully... ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-22          45283

If you are buying used at a great price I would not be afraid of one. Almost purchased a new one myself but the price was higher than the others, believe it or not. I felt the same way regarding the construction, by far the heaviest with heavy steel operators station and steel construction, no plastic. I love the fuel tank location at the rear where you can get at it easily and can't spill fuel on the hood accidently. If you use a belly mower, they have an independant lift so you don't have to hook it to the three point hitch, a great feature. Nice looking machine too! Go with what you feel is right, don't worry about the big three. These very same arguments have been made for decades about cars/trucks of different brands. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
DaveM

2002-11-23          45326

Mathey,

I have had a 7234 for about 5 years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I wish I had a Hydro but at the time it was more money than I really had to spend. (or at least what my wife wanted me to spend!) The tractor has been almost indestructable and like many of the other comments I think is as good as the orange, green, or blue ones. I compared it at the time and I thought I got a lot more tractor for the money than in the other brands. I plow, haul trees around and do all the things I wouldn't want to be doing with a shovel and a wheelbarrow. Like one of the other comments, look for Ted - abbeywoods comments. He evidently has used them in a contracting business and seems to know the CC very well. Happy hunting but I don't think you would at all be unhappy with a Cub. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
mathey

2002-12-12          46060

OK, i found a 1998 Cub Cadet 7300 w/loader, 600 hrs for $9950. Paint is fair (kept outside) and they tell me the clutch has to be let out alot before it goes. Do these have adjustable clutches or is it just gone? Mechanically otherwise in good shape.

Any thoughts on this whole deal? ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
larry

2002-12-13          46084

I would check to see if it's the Mitsubishi drivetrain
I hace a 7274 & its wonderful ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
jlk

2002-12-17          46234

Yes the clutch is adjustable two stage clutch live pto. I to have a 7274 I have to let the clutch out almost all the way befor it grabs. at 1500 hrs I have no clutch prblems. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Poconobob

2003-02-28          50265

I've read talk of no support from MTD with regard to CC...That couldn't be farther from accurate except to say whenever you call a company, the representative on the phone speaking "on behalf" of the company paints the picture of what we believe to be "support". Case in point, I was part of the blizzard which hit these parts, got 28" up here on the mountain, trouble was it was on top of already 18-20" and previously plowed driveway made of stone compounded by temperatures at or below zero for months. I was pushing right along and was having fun as my neighbors fought with their snow throwers and I had a 5mph run going and hit dead on the corner of a ice block with stone embedded withing that. Something has to give, I stopped abruptly almost flew, the blade being angled caused the angle part of the a frame to not only bend but push the blade completely under the unit. We're talking thick steel....and yes it did hurt. I contacted my dealer who did tell me that MTD is the parent company of Cub Cadet but the factory division for Cub Cadet is pretty good and he'd see what they could do. Thus far under warranty they've fixed every tiny little thing gone wrong, flat tire even...anyway, to make a long story short, I spoke personally with the factory, he and I talked tractors for a bit and then he said he knew my dealer well and would call him.

Next thing I knew, I was told to unhook the dozer blade and all the hardware, and bring it down because he has a new one all put together and the factory would reburbish my dozer blade and they'd sell it used.

And just for the record, I don't bash other products but MTD does stink compared to just about anything and I hope for Cub Cadet's sake they don't mess with it. Cub Cadet dealers AND yes even John Deere dealers are closing left and right because people now are hell bent on going to Home Depot and Lowe's....Most of the best tractors aren't yet sold there but still it erodes the volume sales the smaller dealers once sold, now corporate giants like HD, and Lowe's WILL continue. Think of your local dealer who has been there 30 years before buying from the big guys.

Sorry for still running on but I must...As for John Deere, I did look at those rigs, the best testament is to actually see older ones and frankly the Cubs were better, the steel is thicker on the Cubs, just a pretty strong product. John Deere and Cub Cadet have had to adapt to the rapidly changing markets...Craftsman even is in the larger tractor business, mind you not a stump puller but they even have a "good" reputation even though the company which builds them is in dire financial troubles.

What is the best? The best is what you feel satisfied with and my only complaint on the Cub Cadet has been the stickers all over it, I hate stickers....and the other is I feel the ground clearance of the rear axle could have been tucked up under a bit better. John Deere, to have one is to love one....to trade one in on a Cub Cadet is devine. I didn't buy the JD for one main reason, perceived value just wasn't there.

Bob

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Ted at Abbeywoods, L

2003-02-28          50267

Guys, these are dangerous waters for me to enter into because of brand loyalty. I have shared my honest observations and opinions regarding my personal experience with the Mitsubishi built 7000 series machines, and in a nut shell, they are very well built units. As a utility tractor, for small farm or light ag work, and even light landscaping, they are about the same in weight, HP, hydraulic flow (gpm), and dimensions as other makers' offerings. Of the Mitsubishi line, the shuttle shift 7360 is the most rugged. Everything about this machine from its 4 cylinder diesel to its undercarriage is commercial grade. Where it falls down in commercial use, however, stems from its poor hydraulic gpm flow, and MTD's refusal to equip it with the larger Woods 9' Groundbreaker backhoe. I mention the hydraulics because the machine is equipped with a nice skid steer quick attach bucket system on the fel, which could be used for attaching a wealth of hydraulic powered attachments. But as it stands, there isn't enough flow for the more powerful attachments like stump grinders. But not everyone has that requirement or interest, so to many it may be a moot point. Gunfighter has broached the subject of the new domestically built machines, and I am stepping into it by saying, they are not yet up to the Mitsubishi level. These new machines have a few good features like a rail frame system not unlike a full size tlb, nevertheless, nearly everything else about them is lacking. I think MTD is pitching these machines to maximize their profits, I understand their profit on the Japanese machines is slimmer than they would like. I am not convinced they are doing it to offer a more diverse line. For the record, my family has owned Cubs from the day they were painted red and built by IH, I've owned up to five Cubs at one time, of different models, with only one lemon. New or used, one could do a lot worse. Just be careful who you buy from as not all MTD/Cub dealers are alike. Good hunting. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Donny Graham

2003-03-03          50452

I am a Cub Cadet dealer and mabey I can shed some light on the situation with Cub and tractors from my prespective. 1st lets cover the tractors by Mitsubishi. They are curently being fazed out but they are still available until current stock runs out. Cub is dropping them because we could not get under Kubota and Deere pricing enough to sell them in any great numbers. We carried them and they moved really slow because customers wouldn't give them a chance because they could by green and orange for the same money. Of the ones we sold cutomers were very satisfied and love their tractors. The model numbers for those tractors are 7000, 7200, 7205, 7260, 7265, 7300, 7305 and 7360SS.
Now onto the new 7000 series. These tractors are actually being built by Cub Cadet. They are built like the BX series Kubota only much larger. They have Dihatsu and Kawasaki powerplants with Cubs own transmission. Our experince so far is positive and a 5000 series will be coming and will be the same size as a BX Kubota. Currently these model numbers are 7252,7254,7264 and 7304. Cub Cadet has struck a deal with Deadong of Korea to sell 2 tractors..these tractors are known in the US as Kioti. The tractos will be the same as the Kioti DK 40 and DK 45 with more models to follow. The Cub models are 8404 and 8454. A word about Cub and MTD...MTD is one of the most financialy secure companys in this industry. We always can get parts when we need them and they cover warranties without any problems. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
DaveM

2003-03-04          50463

Donny,

You say you are a dealer where are you located? Don't be afraid to list your address, you'll likely get inquiries into what you carry. I have a 7234 and love it but have thought about upgrading in the future, a little more horsepower and probably a Hydro. By the way there was some discussion on clutch adjustments. Mine has few hours, less than 150 and it is adjusted basically all the way out. Is this typical of all Cubs?

D. Mc. ....

Opinions on Cub Cadet

View my Photos
compman

2003-04-10          52895

Don't know if you are still considering a CC, but I have owned a 7260 for 4 years and I think the tractor is basically good for light work. I am not sure about the product support from CC/MTD. My experience with the local dealer has not been ideal. Replacement part prices are sky high. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login