Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
evansgarr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-07-04          17685

I have a Cub 7195 with 5' belly mower and front loader. This is a great workhorse machine and performs really great, except when mowing.The suction on the diesel engine is so powerful that it draws grass to the side and front air grills and clogs them up after about 20 minutes of mowing, causing the engine to heat all the way into the RED. I stop, dust off the grass and go another 20 minutes.The dealer has tried desperately to solve this and even went as far to put a new deck on it. Cub, themselves, haven't shown much interest, as I guess they don't want to admit a mistake.When not mowing the machine performs flawlessly.Any suggestions, ideas, comments, like expierences?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-07-05          17719

How does the buildup of grass come on the front of the tractor? Something is wrong here as mowing with the ones we have out we have not had your problem. Where is the grass coming from that is blocking the screens? ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-07-05          17720

Art, it has to be coming from the front of the deck. The 7195 has an air vent on the left and right front and across the front, just below the hood.

It's interesting that you say that none of the ones you have out has this problem; The dealer siad they've never encountered this with any of the machines they've sold?

The dealer was so unconvinced that he took the machine home with him and mowed. He called me back and said, "Your absolutely corrct, I had to clear the vents every 20-30 minutes."

Man, this has me stumped. Cub recommended high lift blades, tilting the front of the deck, all to no solution? ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-07-06          17772

We are a Cub Cadet tractor and have never seen this on any tractor and we have sold many compacts. I know bush hogging in tall grass can require a screen to be cleaned every few hours. What type of grass are you cutting is it very dusty and dry ? What height are you cutting at ? I assume this is a side discharge deck. Does grass discharge from the deck at a reasonable speed ? I would run the tractor with side panels off to allow free air flow and see if grass is still sucked up. Give me more details and maybe we can help. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-07-06          17774

David, I really appreciate your interest. More interest than Cub Cadet themselves have shown in 2 years.

This is a side discharge unit and seems to eject grass at a rapid rate. Again , yesterday I fought this problem. Part of my area is very dusty and quite naturally the problem accelerates in when mowing that area. In the more heavy green areas I can get probably an extra 10-15 minutes of mow time before it's heated to the red.

I most normally mow at about 1/2 position, as my grass is fairly thick in the open field areas; bermuda and field mixture.

It's amazing to watch, as once the blades are engaged debri begins to fly from under the front of the deck, flowing freely to the side and front air vents.

My dealer, in the past, installed high lift blades, tilted the front of the deck and installed some type of metal flange that Cub suggested. All that might have bought me an extra 6-8 minutes.

Am I getting to concerned with the gauge hitting the red? It's always been my expierence that when an engine guage get's in the red one should solve the problem.

On the last deck, I installed some RV brush skirting along the front of the deck; It helped somewhat, but did not solve the problem. I have ordered some skirting to put on this new deck to buy a bit more mowing time.

This matter is totally connected to mowing. When not mowing, you can use this thing with the loader all day in 100 degree weather and never heat it up.

Should I trade it off for a Kubota, although I love this Cub! ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-07-06          17775

This sounds too simple to be the problem, but is it possible that one or more of those high lift blades is installed upside down. Just a thought. Dave. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-07-06          17776

I guess that could be a possibility, but it's now, since last week, got a brand new deck on it. I'll check out the blade positions.

Thanks for your input. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-07-06          17781

I sell both cadets and Kubota and would help you trade I wonder if the front of the deck might still be to high. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
Art White

2000-07-06          17782

I don't understand the 1/2 position for mowing that could be causing some problems because mowers are meant to be run at full throttle. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-07-06          17783

Art, I wasn't clear on the 1/2 position. I run the throttle full; The 1/2 position is on the deck height adjustment; About middle height. Sorry for the confusion.

Your probably located too far to trade; I'm in Arkansas. This 7195 is a great machine. except the mowing problem. I love the Cubs and maybe should go to a 7265 and possibly that would eliminate the problem.

I truly feel it's something in the manufacturing of this particular unit. It's a 97 and only has 135 hours on it and is garage kept. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-07-06          17785

I am beginning to wonder if the problem is really the mower deck. What size mowing deck is this ? Has the tractor radiator been flow tested ? Has the cooling system been pressured checked? Has the temp gauge been tested against one of known calibration. Many temp gauges on compacts will indicate hot while in actuality the engine is still in the high end of the operating range. A mower deck poses a constant load to the tractor that is does not see when running with a loader. Run the tractor at full PTO speed leaving the tractor stationary. Does the overheating occur ? Is the fan slipping ? Is the fan installed correctly ? Does the gauge show hot or the radiator actually boiling over ? Just some questions maybe we can figure this one out. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
Ed

2000-07-07          17800

Last weekend I was hogging a field of 3' high 'crap' that was pretty thick, and at the time I had the loader still on. About halfway thru I noticed my temp gauge had moved a bit higher than I had ever seen it (still well below half) and I noticed when done that leaves, chaff, bits and pieces were sucked up against the front and side panels. I figure this is probably normal SOP.

However, do NOT take off the side panels, the cowl is built to channel air in a certain path - across the hyd oil cooler, thru a protection screen, then thru the rad, past the engine and out the bottom. You open up the sides, well first off you defeat the removable screen in front of the radiator that keeps crap out of the fins, and second, no more cooling air past the oil cooler. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-07-07          17805

David Paul, I would hope that the dealer has checked all the cooling system items, since they've been fighting this problem for 2 years, although I'm not certain.

I'm going to try the items you suggested and we'll see what the reactions are; I'll let you know. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
Matt Dewalt

2000-07-10          17852

I have a 1996 7194 with 5' deck. The same machine as yours except mine is gear shift. Anyway, when I mow, the side screens and the front screens always become clogged. It takes me about an hour and a half to mow. When I'm done, the screens are completely clogged. However, my temperature gauge never reaches the red. It does move up a little by the time I'm done mowing, but not much. My bet would be that it's not your mower deck. It's probably something in the cooling system, the fan, or the gauge. ....

Cub 7195 Mowing problem

View my Photos
wayne hawkins

2000-08-01          18443

I have been using a Cub Cadet 7195 for 4 years in what could only be described as extremely severe duty. The tractor has the 60 inch belly mower with the aux lift kit. I mow about 6 to 10 acres, depending on how much moisture we have had, about once a week in summer months. The best way to describe it is, rocks covered with just enough clay and topsoil to support weeds! ! (Eastern Oklahoma Hill top! ) The tractor has performed far beyond my greatest expectations. The only major problems I have had have been with the deck. Woods makes a fine deck, but it will not stand up to severe rough terrain. The deck has had to be reinforced around the front caster mounting attachment points. Also, the deck gear box lost the output seal almost immediately. After replacement, I have had no more problems after approx 400 hours. The problem you are having with clogged radiator air intake is common. The main problem seems to not be the deck, but the angle of the engine exhaust. It blows out the left front, toward the ground, and tends to blow loose material up ahead of the tractor, which gets sucked into the air intakes. I removed the pipe, heated and re-bent the pipe to a more horizontal angle , and it seems to have improved the problem.
Another problem I have is front drive shaft rattle. This has been caused due to excessive front axle pivot pin wearing,( probably from running over rocks, ditches, and generally getting pounded to death when I am mowing), allowing the front axle to become unstable. The instability has then caused the driveshaft u-joints to wear excessively on their splines, allowing the driveshaft and guard sleeve to contact the bottom of the engine housing. it tends to go away in 4 wheel drive because the front axle tries to run ever so slightly faster than the rear, causing the front axle to rotate enough to pull the drive shaft down away from the housing. I think I will make the remedy for this a "Winter project".
All in all though.. I have nothing but praise for these little tractors. Like I said, my application is almost beyond belief, and the tractor is push to the extreme. When not being pounded to death mowing, i have the loader and a 5 foot box blade on it, maintaining a 1500 foot driveway, and general landscape work around the house. The front loader consistently gets loaded heavy enough that the tractor would tip over if it werent for the box blade acting as a counter weight.(more front axle pivot wear! )
Like I said, They are an excellent machine, and should NEVER be considered a toy. I have a Ford 3400 industrial with front loader, and I will use the cub instead of the much larger Ford much of the time simply because it is so much faster and more nimble. It only moves half as much as the Ford, but it does it 3 times as fast ! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login