Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
myager
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-11          141246

I have a Cub Cadet 2155 Lawn Tractor with Hydrostatic Transmission. The tractor was purchased by my Mother-in-Law in 1998 and given to me last year. It only has 238 hours on it. The transmission has gone on it and the dealer is saying $1,600 for repair.

I am very disappointed in Cub Cadet. I purchased this tractor for its advertised duarability. While it was purchased almost 9 years ago, its barely been used was always properly serviced. I might as well have bought a cheapy tractor at Sears.

I will never purchase a Cub Cadet product again!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-11          141247

That's a tough break, tell you what, I fell bad about that sort of thing, I'll come and pick it up from you, and give you $500 to boot towards the new one from Sears.

Although technically speaking, you haven't bought a Cub Cadet yet since you said "...given to me last year." I understand your sentiment.

BTW, since Cub Cadet is an MTD product, same as a Craftsman is, the chances are the Sears tractor will have the very same transmission you had a problem with here.

PM with your address and I'll be right over.

Best of luck.

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-11          141250

Murf, glad you are back.

MY, spent that much in one of my Kubota's tractors trans last year. It was not abused and was serviced per specs. I would buy it again. kt ....

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-04-12          141256

Many people have complained about Cub Cadet quality in recent years. The 2100 is their intermediate level of machine. I agree that their 1000 series entry level units are bad but don't know about the newer 2000 and 3000 models.

I have 6 of the older models and have never had a problem with the hydro in either of them. Needless to say, sorry about the outcome.

One of my units has 1900 hours on it without an engine rebuild and all have been torture tested by my renters. That particular one was rolled over in a ditch, bent the hood, broke the grille and hour meter gage glass but managed to lay on top of and pinch the assXXXX driver fracturing a few ribs. (The tractor got even with him for the abuse).

Did the hydro run out of oil? The only time I came close to having a tranny problem is when a renter broke the hydro line and kept driving while oil was spraying out the side of the mower. (A couple units have power steering and with this particular one, he ran into a tree breaking off the power steering anchor point and severing the hydraulic line causing the spurting of oil).

Usually the Cadet hydro trannies are considered bullet proof and are used by guys in lawn tractor pulling contests at county fairs, etc. I was at a county fair last summer where a guy had hooked a GM 3.1L V-6 to his Cadet tractor. He said he used a stock Cadet Hydro! ....

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-12          141260

On that series I can't say we've touched a hydro for repair. Sorry that yours needs to be. Do you have another shop nearby that might be able to double check it? Being in the business it's a little different then from your perspective but I haven't found to much that is assembled by man that isn't able to have a flaw.

Welcome Murf, you still in the warmth? ....

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
Murf

2007-04-12          141263

Thanks guys, now that my tongue is back out of my cheek...LOL.

I'm back here in the snow with the rest (some?) of you poor buggers, but I'm planning on heading back south mid-week next week for a few days at an airshow, but just for a long weekend.

Seriously, the CC is one of the better, by reputation and reliability, lines of mowers.

Maybe it's just my suspicious mind, after paying for employees 'oopsies' for so many years, but it seems strange that a 9 year old machine with 238 hours on the clock would suddenly develop a problem that severe. I suspect there's a little more to the story, it's pretty hard to abuse a hydro unit in a lawn mower.

Maybe 'myager' will come back with some further information after he's cooled down a bit.

Best of luck.

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-04-12          141264

It could be that the dealers diagnosis is wrong. If there's another dealer in the area you might get a second opinion. ....

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-04-12          141271

I'm jis' sayin'...something's fishy... how can someone say they were "given" something (once) and then continue with referring to buying it (three times)? Maybe just another drive-by basher venting?

Aside from that, I can remember in another life (job) that the (inside) joke in the auto industry when referring to warranteeing "for the life of a vehicle" was not the user's percieved "life" (or what the user hoped it to last), but a legally defined period of 7 years. So using that as a yardstick, that CC was living on borrowed time. ....

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
yan1601

2007-04-13          141294

Sorry on the opinoion you have. Most of the cadets are very good products. I am suprised the dealer was charging you so much for the repair. I would give you $600 and come get it, that would help toward a Sears or any other brand you might prefer. I assume this is a shaft drive? Let me know. Y
My eamail is you are maild at yahoo dot com. Please put it in the proper format since Tractor point will not allow e-mail addresses. ....

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-14          141297

I wonder what the mother-in-law would feed him the next holiday if she knew the way he speaks of a gift!

I'm not the type to think of buying a 1000 series tractor but for the most part the issues that there are with this model are easy to deal with. I have two friends that had to have them and they both had the same two problems and when fixed they have been trouble free since. They like them to the point they recommend them to others all the time. ....

Cub Cadet is Junk

View my Photos
dieselnut

2009-07-14          164047

Have a 2500 Series. Seems great so far but only 39 hours.

I have an analogy here.
Insert Honda Civic for the Cub in your initial post and then think about what you'd think was the problem.................
-
-
-
-
- Possibly owner abuse and neglect with maintenance? I'd think a lady would use a tractor like this. Start it, use, put it in garage until the next use. Hope I'm not speaking out of line but that is what comes to mind for me. When was the last time the tranny filter was replaced? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login