Go Bottom Go Bottom

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-12          90722

I have a 4.8 silverado, 106k on it and am getting a steady service engine soon light. Any sugestions on where to start or what to do before I break the old wallet out and take it in? Thanks guys!?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-12          90724

Best bet would be to identify what if any SES codes are stored in the computer. I would bet it is an oxygen sensor with that kind of mileage but there is really no way to be sure other than checking for malfunction codes. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-12          90730

OBDIII on this truck (I think). The only way to get the codes is at your frienly neighborhood Chevy dealer. I don't know if there is a "usere" interface available for these. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-13          90797

Was wondering if any local "chain" type auto part stores let ya use or loan a reader? I thought every new truck had plug in for this? What do I know though, I am no mechanic! ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-13          90805

I was under the impression that these readers are very propriatorial. If you can get one, be prepared to spend thousands of dollars. This also makes renting or loaning one highly unlikely.

Sorry. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-13          90806

Spend the money on a Chilton or Helms maintenance manual. If it is possible to manually read the codes yourself; the manual should cover this. I am not familiar with this particular year and model but many vehicles allow reading computer codes by turning the ignition switch on and off in a particular sequence. This may or may not be possible with your truck. You need the manual anyway if you don't already have one. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-13          90807

Thank the left wing tree huggers for OBD3 (On Board Dianostics 3rd Generation). There are NO user accessable diagnostics. An owner used to be able to (OBD1 and OBD2)jump a couple pins or switch the ignition off and on several times to get a "code" from the check engine light.

Several proposals are on the books to "lock" the hoods on newer vehicles, ie. go to dealership for everything from filling the windshield wash on up. It's only going to get worse. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
texbaylea

2004-07-23          91753

If you have a laptop computer you can get software and adapter called AutoTap. A quick Google search on the Internet will turn it up. As I remember it is less than $400. I have a scan tool but it would cost me about $8-900 to add a new cartridge for it. I will go the software route when I get new vehicles. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
Bellyacres

2004-08-29          94882

equus makes a code reader for 97 and newer. It comes with plug in and instructions. I found it by searching code readers. It cost about 200cdn
Rod ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
Barn boy

2005-10-02          117268

Autozone checks them for free. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-04          117362

Been working on cars a long time and never heard of odbIII.

Every thing 96 and newer is ODBII. The connector is located some where under the dash in plain view. Usually on the left side. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-10-09          117599

Advance auto also checks them for free. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
kl

2005-10-09          117628

they suck ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
77simplicity

2006-01-29          123716

My get around every day gas saver van has this problem too. I got the engine and everything all checked out and no problems still the light was on. So what i did was brought it into the dealer and they checked it out ran it on the computer got rid of the light. But a few mounths later the light came back i dont think this should matter too much as long as you keep a good mechanical record and check everything every month or so. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-02-14          124521

I got rid of my light problem, was a faulty sensor. I was about to stick one of those yellow smiley face stickers over the spot the light was. I swear that the light would change from, "service engine soon" TO " Service engine VERY soon" from time to time! ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-02-14          124524

I had a 1990 4.3 v6 astro van. At 100,000 miles the light came on and my mechniac told me dont worry about it. It was gm's way of keeping in your pocket. I kept up the mechanical records and it blew up at 240,000 miles. I think I got my moneys worth. ....

99 service engine soon

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-15          124534

Before I spent a penny, I would make sure the Gas Cap is secure and nobody tried to fill it with the engine running, I would then check all spark plugs and probably change them, make sure the cables were good so I would be sure there was No skipping that may have triggered the computer. I would then maybe replace the Oxygen Sensor. then I would disconnect the battery for ten minutes and reconnect it, which should reset the computer. Then I would drive down to the nearest Dodge Dealer and check out them NEW 1500 s with the 5.7L MDS "HEMI". The 300C, the Magnum and the Charger are all enjoying 25 mpg Hwy, with the same engine and they are RWD 4100 pound vehicles. The Grand Cherokee which is a 4WD is enjoying about 22 MPG, the 1500 should be over 20 and how much and IF would be based on whether you drive with your head stuck out the window listening to the sounds of that baby on acceleration or you drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Either way it is 345 HP and has power to spare and reliability that ONLY Dodge can offer. SMILE.... The Durango now has the MDS as well and if that ain't all good enough for you Tractor heads, how about the NEW 6.1L Hemi and the Challenger? 176 mph right out of the showroom. coming soon to a dealer near you......... Real Men drive Dodge. Full overlapping Box hydro framed rails, 7 cross member support, coil on plug, SMPFI, choice of 3.55 or 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, you autmatically get the 3.92 if you upgrade from the LT245 to the LT265 tires. 1500 NOT BIG enough for you well then the NW 610 High Output Cumins in the 2500 or 3500 should be what the Doctor wants you to have... QUiet as a Church mouse and more Power and torque than either Ford and Chevy, when will these guys learn that a INLINE 6 will produce more torque than those silly V-8 s they keep tring to make? Geez! High End you say? I have been at 105 mph with a 4.10 rear and a 6 spd Auto HO 610 Cumins 2500 Mega Cab, and I think there was still a hundred or two of rpm left. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login