Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-18          137067

Had regular service done on my 04 Silverado at nearby Chevy dealer last week. It's just a few miles short of 50K. Service advisor, or whatever you call the guy who leans on the desk and writes up your order told me tha I should have the fluids changed in the front and rear diferentials, transfer case, and transmission (manual) four in all while they have a special price in effect. ONLY 79.95-each or total of 320.00 plus tax. WOW, Why? Never changed one in my life, why start now? Does anyone do this? Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-18          137068

I change the fluid in the manual tranny of my Ford Ranger every 25k miles or so. It has cheesy rubber plugs on the top of the case (can't inspect them without pulling the transmission)that tend to dry out, shrink and let water in. It's cheaper to change the fluid than replace the transmission. I must say that it always shifts better once the fluid is changed. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-18          137069

I do it and have paid a little more for it but it's peace of mind and preventive too. And I did want to hear any bitching from the dealer if I had problems down the line since they reaped the money on the front end ---pLUS the extendd warranty I bought from them (I also use mine commercially) Having a background in automotive service engineering as a technical writer/service engineer, that info about service-at-mileage doesn't make it into the publications without good reason which is based on extensive testing and past warranty data.

For years Ford had a program where they would pay local (suburban Deroit) truck owners to bring their trucks in at certian mileages, disassemble them, inspect and glean information and data from them. Of course they reassembled them too. I have a buddy who worked in another division of Ford that would buy competitor's products like a Dodge Ram and disect them---like the doors. I had just bought a new Ram in '95 and my buddy says to me "my dad just cut one of those up at work. You'll have nothing but rust problems with your doors". Sure enough I did. And the '99 Ram did too--3 doors were replaced. The '03 I have now has been rust-free, though a week after I bought it Chrysler sent me a letter stating that they will cover the paint for 100,000 miles or 10 years due to "contaminated primer". Nice. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-11-18          137072

I 100% agree that changing fluids is the best preventive maintenance that you can do, even if the owners manual makes no mention of it. Gearboxes and diff's see a lot stress and metal particles are inevitable, but without any filtration, the particles continue to circulate...until the fluid is changed. I've gone all synthetic in driveline fluids. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
Peters

2006-11-18          137073

If you have the limited slip clutch packs it is a good idea as the differential fluid will be under greater stress. I changed mine at something like 60 K. I believe it is listed in my service schedule.
I changed the differential on the 97 Ford also, but this was due to a leaking seal. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-11-19          137092

Thanks for the responses, I agree yhe fluids should be changed, but 320.00, no that place isn't going to do it. Frank. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-11-19          137095

Frank don't quote me but I'm pretty sure the dealer changed the trans filter and purged the system (which I had done every 5-7000 on my other Rams), and removed the rear axle cover and replaced the seal. Some oil chnage palces just suck it out of the filler hole which leaved the sludge. I did the math just on the materials and would have been a little over half the cost. Then add my time for labor and running around trying to dispose of the fluids. Well worth it to me. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-11-19          137097

Earth; I'll ask them how they do it, perhaps they do more than just drain and fill. Frank. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
Jackpot

2006-12-05          137632

I think it's a good idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,never done it in my life,,,,,no problems
........?? JP ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-12-06          137666

i had it done in my F250 around 100-120k miles when a rear end seal blew. it is a good idea especially if you need the truck to go a long time. I'll probably have mine done again around 175k miles as added insurance. I'm currently at 150k miles.

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-12-06          137673

never have changed or had anyone change mine. Never gave it any heavy duty use except for my van which pulled the bass boat. the engine blew up at 240,000 miles and 12 years old. Its worth was $850 blue book. I change oil every 3,000 mi. with a lube. When I finish with a veichle it is worthless. Drive'em unil they die. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-12-06          137677

Problem solved. I changed all the fluids today even brake fluid, windshield washer fluid. power steering fluid, anti freeze, kinda pricey tho, traded pickups. Frank. ....

Fluid replacement

View my Photos
cowpie1

2007-05-26          142485

Unfortunately, many owners disregard the drive train oils.

I have always felt that ALL the drive train oils should be changed after the initial 15-20K miles. There is a lot of metals that are part of the maufacturing that get in the oil during the breakin period. Since transfer cases and differentials are not filtered, the excess particulates just cause undue wear. Same is true for an auto tranny, even though it is filtered.

I like using synthetics throughout, like Amsoil, but even it you stick with the OEM type of oils, CHANGE THE OIL!

Your vehicle will appreciate it! :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login