Go Bottom Go Bottom

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-04          130436

Hey ya'll, I have the chevy silverado 1500, 4x4 w/ext.cab.
So here is the question, I need to pick up a tote of bear bait Tue. It weighs between 1200 and 1500 pounds. The guy can get it all the way up in the truck with his loader.
Whatcha all think? Yea or ney? Ive had a thousand pounds in the back before and she was startin to get pretty light in the front end.
Think I can handle one trip with this weight?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-05          130440

No problem, I just carried 3650# of lime in the back of my K2500HD last Friday. I realize we're talking 3/4 ton versus 1/2 ton here, but I also carried 1500# in the back of my GMC K1500 with no significant suspension drop.

I do however, recommend you have the guy push the load as far forward as possible; try to get the center of mass between the rear axle and the rear window. Then restrict the movement so that the load doesn't slide rearward under acceleration. When tying down isn't feasible/possible, I use an empty pallet in the open bed space to restrict movement of the actual load.

I would also suggest that you do not use overdrive with that load

//greg// ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-05          130450

I guess I am not the one to ask as my pay load is 4000 lb on the 3500 RAM. It is had to but enough in the back to over load it.

If you look a few years back in the posts you will realize that a ½ ton truck has gone the way of the Do Do at least for American trucks. The pay load for a C/K or Ram 1500 or F150 is 1500 lb or more. The payload for a C/K or Ram 2500 or F250 is 2500lb or more. The load for a C/K or Ram 3500 or F350 is 3500 lb or more. I have not seen an F100 or C/K 1000 for a long time. There is no 1/2 ton truck. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-05          130453

Do you still have the owners manual? There should be some numbers in there.

Is a tote like a big tupperware? Can you slide it all the way forward as Greg suggests?

I agree with Peters. I think the 1500 on the nameplate of your truck gives a clue as to what it will haul in the bed.

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-05          130455

BA, the issue may be how much weight are the tires rated for and what they will hold. I am thinking you will far overload the tire rating before the truck cries uncle. I would be sure to air the tires up to max inflation pressure and take her real easy. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-05          130456

You need some front ballast on that truck. Maybe hang the snow plow on the front :) ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-05          130457

I agree with Peters, the payloads are higher than you think.

Having said that make sure to get thing as balanced as possible, and most important, don't forget what you have back there when driving!! You might be in for a fresh pair of Depends if you forget!!

Mark, by 'tote' I think he means you of those huge sacks with the lift loops at the top.

Randy has a real good point too, nothing shows an underinflated tire like an overload does! LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-05          130462

Ken..... thanks for bring us back to reality.

Murf.... I was trying to figure if it could be loaded toward the front of the bed and then how the heck one unloads it.

I also hope that bear bait is not in the same category as jail bait. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-05          130463

"I also hope that bear bait is not in the same category as jail bait."

Good thought Mark. And Brokenarrow has never exactly said what it is he's hauling. Will it be 1500 lbs of old donuts or what? This information is important and we'll need to know cause a half ton of donuts will surely weigh more than a half ton of bread.
Dave ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-05          130464

We use them all the time, but we have a 10 ton crane too, so unloading isn't much of an issue.

They sure are handy, there's a long flap chute in the bottom, so you can hang it just a few feet off the ground and roll a wheel barrow underneath and pour it full. Any leftovers are just swung aboard and brought back.

Mark, if it's jail bait and BA has to say "The guy can get it all the way up in the truck with his loader. Whatcha all think? Yea or ney? Ive had a thousand pounds in the back before and she was startin to get pretty light in the front end." I suggest he just leave her there no matter how rich her Daddy is!!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Best of luck.

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-11          130749

As far as hanging weight on/off the tailgate, if I recall correctly the FMVSS for light truck tailgates is 400lb. static, resting in the middle of the tailgate such as bags of cement spread out next to each other as opposed to stacked. The mfg's I dealt with years ago did the least they could do just meet the standard. Pro'bly why we see so many convex tailgates. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-12          130755

earthwrks,

If you are correct, some equipement operators better not sit on their tail gate. Especially if their coworker does. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-12          130763

If they do, that'll give their coworkers something to talk about since one will be sitting in other's lap when it folds! (a line from the movie when they're in bed together in "Throw Mama From the Train" "Sooooo---how 'bout them Bears?") ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-12          130769

Earthworks - I think it was "Plane, Trains and Automobiles".

It reminds me of the day we went to the Harvest Buffet in Florence AL with my detective brother in-law. A family came in where the little boy was about 450lb. The six of them sat down at a table next to us to chow down. My brother in-law, who spent a few years in traffic leaned over and asked; "What would you used to carry that family around? You load them up in the Suburban and you are overloaded".

We walked out side to see their new Lincoln with the springs busted out of it in the parking lot. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-12          130770

Peters: You are correct, of course. Can you believe that was 20 years ago. Time flys. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
oneace

2006-06-12          130785

I saw the perfect example of a OVERLOADED truck today and what can happen because of it. 2006 Toyota Tacoma, 1,500 mi. pulling about a 22 foot camper loaded down so bad it was squatting (the camper). In the bed of the truck, 3 motorcycles all BRAND new not even one hour on them. A 350, 220, and an 80 cc. Now to be nice he did have load distribution bars hooked up. Can you guess what happened....... Give you a hint. I did not take a picture and study the details as I drove by. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-12          130787

It must have been REALLY overloaded if he had a weight dist. hitch and still sagged. Okay Tony---don't keep us in suspense--what happened.

A few years ago a friend told about a guy in an F250 crew cab flying past him with his family and a big bumper tow camper. The guy had to have been 90 since my buddy was about 70. A few miles later my buddy starts seeing debris---clothing, camping gear--on the left shoulder then more and more stuff like metal siding, 2x2's, insulation---and then the mother load--the F250 and the trailer (read: frame) up side down on the shoulder. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-12          130793

Earthworks - although they came out the same year and were both good movies, I don't think the joke would have played as well with Danny De Vito. John Candy is more like the foot ball player. Seems to me he bought into a pro team with Wayne Gretzki.

Years ago we came across someone that had rolled his 30 ft airstream and Suburban on their rooves at the side of the road. They were still attached with their weight distribution hitch and laid neatly inline on the side of the road. It looked like it had just decided to roll over and die at the side of the road. The owner had pulled a small camp stool out of the wreckage and was seated above on the hillside with his head in his hands. Not a happy camper!!! ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-13          130815

Peters,

John Candy passed away in 1994 if you are talking about the actor are that is what I found on the web so it must be true. LOL Did Gretzki invested in a pro team by then?

Don't guess it was overload the way being discussed here but a few years ago we drove up on an mobile home that was in many a piece on interstate (40 I think) around Maggie Valley in NC. Saw no sign of any other vechile other than the mobile home tow truck. He did not have a good day either.

GB

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
oneace

2006-06-13          130818

You better believe it rolled over. and over and over again. Luckily no one was hurt and it had a sun roof so I was able to rip that out to get to them. jsut cause you have the power to pull some thing don't mean you have the ability. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-13          130825

Candy bought the Toronto Argonauts in 91 with Gretzky. I am not sure if Gretzky still owns it. (see link)

Many of the motorhomes are over loaded. They use a light chassy and then you pack them full of stuff.

The electrical service truck are about the same as the bins are full of bolts, wire and heavy materials.

Link:   Candy

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-14          130838

Gretzky and the other (minority) owners sold a few years later to, of all people, the guy that had the food concession for the stadium!! I guess if you sell enough $6 beers and $4 hot dogs you can really do Ok. LOL.

He in turn was forced to sell it when he needed the money for something else, the new owner is friend of mine who is one of the biggest homebuilders in the Toronto area.

John Candy's family does still live in the area though, the moved back from LA after his death.

Best of luck. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-14          130852

Here's something else to think about when loading a truck bed: I have seen several pickups used by repo guys who have mounted a wrecker lift in the bed, those hauling heavy sod, and masons with cement blocks. The weight crushed the horizontal cross members toward the rear which are nothing more than hat-section ribs made of sheet metal. Going down the road from the side it looks like the frame is bent ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-14          130861

earthwrks,

Okay, same reply twice here. Still going in them circles aren't you.

Okay, I have done it more than anyone else (the double send on replies), not going in the figure 8's.

Since I jumped that subject, what did you end up on sun block? I have seen tinted sun visors to add to I think turcks that might work.

GB ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-14          130873

Double posts? errr? Somebody's been drinkin' again...

Are they fgure 8's or circles cuz there IS a difference.

Turcks? The turcks (so you have fat fingers too, I see) I've seen have a turbin-like wrap affair.

The canopy I got for the TC, well, was a cluster. The first one was cracked (supposedly in shipping) and had polishing burn marks and areas that had been filled with resin that weren't sanded but were buffed anyway. Called the mfg. and they were good about sending me another one in perfect condition. Got to keep the old one as a spare or sell it. I really haven't a chance to really use it or as you say (okay, I did) go in circles (which doesn't look as good in print as it does as the finished product---thank you very much). I did pick up one of those perforated retracting sunshades (like to keep a baby shaded in the rear seat) but it's way too thick, so I'm looking for a fine sun blocking, see-thru mesh. The canopy sits down on the roll bar and it's wider than the roll bar and extends to the cowl. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-15          130881

earthwrks,

You know the figure 8 looks a lot like two circles. Check out this link and see it that is what you have in mind.

I would also look to motorhome industry and the over the road truck industry. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-15          130909

Thompson: I considered using those plastic visors which are used on school buses also. The problem with my situation is the conditions are extremely dusty and dry so constant cleaning is as issue. The mesh will get susty too but shouldn't be as hard to keep clean.

And I know yer 'razzing me 'bout going in circles, but just for the record they are overlapping circles which an old timer told me how to do when it comes to grading large areas. If you have never tried it, you should. ....

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-23          131335

Me bad, sorry ya all, had totally forgot about this thread.
OK, I got up there and he loaded me up with his large skid loader. It is bassically a large heavy heavy duty duty (lol) cardboard box re-enforced with "banding" Sitting on a skid. The box was as wide as the skid and just barely fit in the truck. Good thing I took the cap off cause it was way taller than I figured. The box was filled with chocolate candy. (the real good stuff) NO fake foods, real chocolate with all the FAT and SUGAR (REAL SUGAR)! That is a must when buying food/bait for Black Bears.
As for unloading it??? That is what your wife and college student is for, give em a shovel and two five gallon buckets. We shoveled chocolate for hours. Two five gallon bucket fulls makes around a 55# garbage bag which I put into seperate box's. 27 boxes total.
The truck handled it perfectly. I would not want to safely,,,, haul much more though. My tires are ten ply heavy duty jobs (Good ones).
The KEY to this haul I think was that he could get the load ALL the way into the truck and NONE of the load hung behind the back tires AT ALL!.
Thanks for you reply's, I will post a link in a day or two of the "kid" shoveling chocolate candy out of the box.

Truck bed limits

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-23          131340

broken: With all that caffeine in chocolate, those bears are gonna be awake for weeks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login