Go Bottom Go Bottom

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-03-16          177404

I just bought a used ASV HD4500 and it needs tracks. Since I don't put many hours on my machines I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place to find used tracks? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-16          177410

You won't find tracks anywhere but from someone who's replaced the ones on their machine.

I doubt you'd find a used set that was any better than yours. They generally don't get replaced till they're nearly shot.

Best of luck. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-16          177412

I'm with Murf. And if you did find a set in good shape there may another reason they were taken off: broken cables inside the tracks.

I have no idea how aftermarket tracks hold up either. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2011-03-16          177413

Interesting. I have found places on line who say they sell used tracks. I haven't gotten hold of them yet to see if they really do. I met a guy who claimed that's all he bought was used tracks. Can't find his phone number anymore so I can't call him. Found some places that sell factory blems too. I'll contact some tomorrow and let you know what I find. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-03-16          177414

A factory blem track. Now I've heard everything. Let us know what you find. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-17          177417

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 177414
A factory blem track. Now I've heard everything. Let us know what you find.

Never thought about a track having a scuff mark or bad raise lettering either. With you what would be a "blem" in a track. My guess is it is a PR stunt to claim lower prices.

Jeff, you mentioned earlier no idea quality of aftermarket tracks. Having worked in a different industry for a while selling and servicing a product line of a company who also made private label for another large retailer, you have a good point but might not always be how some think it is. Without knowing the specs for either the "subcontracted" label (for example only, CAT) it could be of much higher quality standards than the company's own label or lower specs. You just don't know. I know the now largest company in the product line own product label did not have some of as high of specs as the private label they built under contract. Seriously, private label for competitor was better than their own best. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
Murf

2011-03-17          177421

I suspect the 'used' and 'factory blem' tracks are actually the equivalent of 'recaps' in tires.

They take old used up tracks and apply 'recap' treads to them and build up the inside of the track to effectively shorten their length of them so they don't fall off any more.

There was an article about them in a trade magazine a few years back, it warned people of the 'crap shoot' you were taking with them, it seems you had no way to tell how good a job they did at recapping them until you put them on the machine and ran them a while.

By then of course they were "used" and no longer able to be returned.

Best of luck. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2011-03-17          177423

I just found a company in IL that sells used tracks. The type track I need is one that has drive lugs on the inside. The machine doesn't have a sprocket with teeth that grab onto holes but rather a sprocket with rollers that grab onto teeth on the inside of the track. If you are familiar with the CAT model 277 track loader this is the same track. So in this case they claim all they do to the track is replace drive lugs if some are torn off. They have a bolt-on drive lug. They warrenty the bolt-on drive lug for as long as the track itself lasts. This is defined as until the track starts delaminating or the tread is completely worn off. They say that if they have a set for my machine the cost for a 75% remaining tread would be about half that of a new track. The cost of a 50% track would be less than half. It depends upon how many drive lugs they had to replace. They do not retread any tracks. When the tread is worn down to the chords the track is junk. I have talked to contractors who have used these same bolt-on drive lugs and they were happy with them. We'll see what they can find for me. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-03-17          177424

I'd pop into your Cat dealer and talk to a mechanic or service manager and see what they say. I still can't believe a contractor or any owner who would remove an expensive set of tracks at 75% remaining. It defies logic. Well... my logic anyway. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
Murf

2011-03-17          177425

I agree Jeff, if there was 75% tread left, and there were bolt on replacement lugs, they'd not be replacing the tracks.

Swapping tracks is not an easy thing to do, I really think someone would think long and hard before removing them. Especially if all they had to do was rotate the track to a clear area and bolt in a new drive lug.

We use aftermarket tracks on our mini & midi sized excavators, the people we get them from are OEM suppliers to most of the big companies so they really are 'factory' parts.

Best of luck. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-03-17          177426

Murf I can only assume you're not necessarily pro-aftermarket tracks for skid steers only because skid steers see much, much more flexing/use compared to an excavator. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-18          177431

Jeff, I did not read where Murf recommend against aftermarket for a skid steer. Are you thinking cause he said they use them on certain excavators that means he does not recommend on skid steers? Not saying that he does recommend them, just wondering if I missed something. Okay normally I do.

But as I pointed out and Murf did say and with your back ground with Ford you know it is very possible the aftermarket are being made by who say Cat's are made by. It is just you are not sure if they are made to Cat's spec or even higher spec's as the OEM has a big reason to keep cost down and also have a big reason to keep reputation up. To me they try to find the balance their customers will live with. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
Murf

2011-03-18          177437

Jeff, it's not that I'm against after-market anything, per se, so long as it meets or exceeds spec. for that machine.

We don't use rubber tracked machines generally, the obvious exception being the excavators.

Mind you we really don't believe in skid steers either.

For certain things they have their place, it just seems we don't work in any of those places. LOL

Best of luck. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2011-03-21          177495

You guys are correct, the guy I'm talking to says it rare to find a 75% track but it happens when someone tears off drive lugs and doesn't realize they can be fixed. I've talked to dealers who say the replacement lugs work fine and others who say they scrap the tracks if lugs are missing. The ones who scrap them have never heard of replacement lugs. I've talked to contractors who use them and love them. I have not found anyone who has used them and does not like them. The guy who sells these tracks claims he's been replacing lugs for 6 years and has never had one fail. He will replace them for free if they fail. You can see these lugs at http://www.bairproductsinc.com/products/larry_lugs.html
I'm still skepticle but willing to listen. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-22          177512

How does the price with him from company to an after market track?

Boy that four dollar price difference between the standard 3 inch and the 4 inch bolt if needed seems high. I have no idea how likely pulling the bolts through the track could be.

Murf,what do you prefer to skid steer? I have only used one a little and one thing I don't like about them is the only way to enter or exit them. Have seen one that broke down with load up and the operator had no choice but to exit under a load which was only head up by machine that was broken. What a great plan.

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
Murf

2011-03-23          177533

Kenny, because of the kind of work we do a small loader usually just doesn't have much of a place, when there is call for one its on the front of a wheeled machine like a tractor or dedicated articulated loader.

To me a SSL is like those flip-flop 'leatherman' style multi-tools, pliers, screwdrivers, knife, everything in one little kit, sure it'll do a wide variety of jobs, just about everything, but it's certainly far from the best at any of them.

For a small operator often the 'do it all' compromise is the best choice for them.

There's one model I know of that uses a really funny looking one-arm design, made by JCB. It has a door on the side and you get in and out that way.

Best of luck. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-25          177601

Murf, dedicated articulated loader for pure loader work to me seems a better choice. I do understand the skid steer is sort of like the 3pth of tractor as many attachments work on it.

Do they not make an articulated loader that will also accept the other attachments? I have no idea other than small company some where like Virgina who seems to make them for the land scape industry.

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2011-03-26          177610

I talked to the guy selling used tracks the other day. He has one set right now that will fit my machine. He says they have about 50% life left and a few missing drive lugs. He will replace the lugs and I think I can get the set for $1500. I've found new ones range from $3600 to $4400 depending upon brand. The tracks for this machine are more expensive than most skid loader tracks because they are much longer than most and they are 18 inches wide. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2011-03-26          177611

Oh, BTW, I contacted the company that advertises selling blem tracks. They say that some of them are truly factory seconds and others are ones they sold to someone who tried to put them on and they didn't fit or returned them because they ordered the wrong ones. If they got marked up or dirty they sell them as seconds. I don't know how much discount they give on them since they didn't have any for my machine anyway. ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
Cat302_5

2011-03-29          177662

bz1, can you post the contact information for the "blem" company? ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-29          177693

bz1...that makes more sense on blem tracks ....

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2011-03-30          177709

CAT302,
Here is the website for the used blem tracks:
http://www.usedrubbertracks.com/

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2011-03-30          177710

CAT,
Tried once and no post, here it is again. Here is the web site for used blem tracks:
http://www.usedrubbertracks.com/

Used rubber tracks

View my Photos
JLance

2011-05-17          178517

You might want to check other people who sell used heavy equipment. I was recently helping one guy to find used excavators, and there are people who also have used parts, so check them out. ....

Link:   used excavators for sale

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login