Go Bottom Go Bottom

2004 DX 33 worth a 2 5 hour drive

View my Photos
Ricknd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-28          129965

All,

Please let me know if you think I've found "THE" tractor ... if its worth taking a 2.5 hour drive to take a peek at it.

It's a 2004 DX 33 with a Case 72 in rear discharge MMM ... Case 64in rear mount snow blower ... dual hydo outlets ... LX-114 loader with 39 hours on it for $18,900. I read some things about striking plant workers during 04 which concerns me. However the tractor is in my target price range with exactly the initial implements I need. I also don't know much about ... but would enjoy hearing comments about this tractors durability. It should be very similar to TC 33 NH I drove recently minus the supersteer ... please correct me if I'm wrong. Super steer is'nt a must for me so I could live with the Case not having it.

So what do you think? ... is it priced right for a drive? Worth the potential drive to get it here? Durable enough to to feel comfortable to start with out a warranty and probably most important ... is the price savings ... if any ... enough to bypass buying from a local dealer?.

Thanks in advance for your help

Rick

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-28          129967

The price seems good. What's the price diff with a local dealer on a new machine with warranty? Ask them if it's had any electrical issues. ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-05-28          129968

K,

Thanks for your reply ... are DX33's prone to electrical problems?

Rick

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-28          129970

I have no personal knowledge of problems, and they wouldn't keep me from buying one, but that particular line seems to have a high incidence of fuses blowing mysteriously in the starting circuit. NH has a workaround that involves installing self-resetting circuit breaker(s) in place of one (or more?) fuses. Check the NH forum here for reports. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-28          129976

The bigger question is how did the hours get on it? At 20 hours the starter on my NH TC33D went along with some other electricial problems that I called and bit--d at NH about. They immediately offered to trade me into another machine no questions asked (why I didn't do it at the time evades me). So is this one of those machines?

Who is going to service the machine when you get it home? The local dealer who wanted to buy that new Mercedes with the profit from your sale may or may not be as cooperative with warranty issues if you didn't buy it from him. But this way of doing business isn't pervasive everywhere, so this may not be an issue for you, but it def. is where I'm from. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-29          129979

I normally look at the accounting. The TC33 was about 17.5K new here. The FEL is 3.5K, the mower is 1.5K and the snow blower is about 2K. So new you would be about 24.5K on the low end.
How many hours are on it?
What is the waranty and dealer worth to you?
Is the 30% discount worth it? ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-05-31          130170

All,

I drove the tractor today and it was in great shape.

It also had a hood guard installed.

The dealer also said he'd include a 5Ft woods rear blade for the price of 19K.

Financed the tractor comes in at 20,482.

Peters/All ... like to turn your question around on you if I could ... is the discount worth taking the tractor minus warranty and local dealership support ... in your opinion.

I'm really strugling with this one ... I know Kubota makes a good machine but this unit seems to have alot of gear with it.

Anyway ... Thanks again for your thoughts

Rick

PS The tractor had AG tires on it ... Do you think I should concerned that they will tear up the lawn or do you think the tractor light enough?

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-02          130283

That chassis is not light and they will tear up lawns. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-02          130287

Rick,
Based on what I see out there, looks like you're getting a good deal on this tractor, I'd get it if I were you and then buy a designated lawnmower ($1200 - $1500), if you find the Case to be too heavy. Even if it doesn't tear up the grass right away, you don't want to compact the soil too much with a heavy tractor ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-06-02          130297

Denis/All

First ... thanks for your opinions

First time I've heard about soil compaction? Can you elborate ... I've just not seen anyone discuss it here.

Also,

I asked the Kubota dealer to bring over a L3130 with a three point mower to test it out. My thought here was a tractor I could use on the lawn and in the pasture.
Guess I'm being greedy.

I thought I'd be OK doing this because a partner of mine uses a 990 JD with a three point on his lawn with little if any negative effect ... at least from what I could see.
He uses industrial tires.

Anyway now I'm really confused.

Tell ya one thing though... I'm sure working with what ever I buy is going to be alot more fun .. than selecting it has been :-)

Thanks again
Rick

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-02          130298

Rick,
The solid fraction of the soil in your yard consists of solid particles (rocks, sand, silt) and organic matter (dead and live). In between the solids there's water and air pockets. When you drive heavy equipment over the soil, you compact the solid particles together. This compaction results in the inability of water to get to the roots, also the roots have a harder time growing in a more solid earth. Bottom line is, you get a sick lawn. Tractors like Kubota B7800 (1800lb + attachment) are light enough to be used routinely for lawn work and strong enough for regular farm work. But you have 25 acres, so something like a B7800 (30hp) may not be enough for you, that's why I recommended you get a designated lawn mower... but, hey, it's not my money :)

hope I made sense ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-06-02          130315

Denis/Art/All

I apologize if I gave the impression that I didn’t value anyone’s opinion … I can assure you I do.

Just trying to be an informed consumer as it were.

Anyway your input has prompted a few questions/thoughts on my part.

If you on anyone can … please speak to the numbers below

In particular which ones do you think are lawn wreckers :-) and which ones aren’t … in your opinions.

1st The B3030HSDC weighs in at 2,271lbs, the B3030 HSD at 1,852lbs

2nd The TC 30 weighs in at 2,193lbs

3rd The DX33 I was looking at weighs 2,440lbs

All minus loaders/bucket

Lastly … I don’t get why they’d put a finishing belly mower on that DX if you could’nt/should’nt use it on the lawn .
Actually … I thought that’s what they were for … then you get a rotary cutter for the pasture.
Same question applies to the L3130 … what would that belly mower be used for? … that tractor is MUCH heavier than those above

I apologize in advance for all the questions. I’m just trying to get it right ... the first time.

Thanks a bazillion
Rick

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-02          130318

The total weight is less important than the weight of the "footprints". A lighter tractor with smaller tires could put more lbs. per square inch on the ground. It seems to me all those machines are roughly in the same ballpark and there isn't enough difference between them to worry about. Just for fun you might check out a riding mower - add your body weight to the weight of the mower and divide by the estimated footprint of the four tires. That will give you a rough number to work with. Then compare it to a similar number on the bigger machines. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-02          130320

As Ken says you need to look at the foot print and calculate the pressure placed on the ground. You will find with Turf tires the larger tractor may have less surface pressure.
The type of soil also make a difference. Unless you have very hard clay soil I would not attempt to use the AG tires. The R4 are a better. Unless you have a lot of clay I might go with turf tires as you will find good traction in everything but mud. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-02          130328

Given the condition that all of those tractors have the same size and type of tire the B3030 would cause the least damage. Some belly mowers can be taken of or installed in less then five minutes and they do the best job of cutting. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-02          130335

Not to spilt hairs, but technically there is much more to determining ground pressure just going by the footprint and dividing it by the weight of operator and tractor total. The only real way is to actually measure it. Such factors as weight distribution over/behind/in front of the axles, and position of accessories like front weights, wheel weights, implement, etc. all have a bearing---like having a loader greatly increases the ground pressure on the front wheels but reduces the rear wheel pressure. That said, the skinnier front tire may have much more--2-3 times the ground pressure as the rears. Conversely, a heavy rear mower and no loader or front weights may make the front close to nothing versus the rears which bear nearly all the weight (which I've experienced). ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-02          130337

Static measurements won't give accurate results either because they avoid the dynamics of driving the tractor. Bouncing alone can greatly increase pressure not to mention tractor attitude, weight shifts during turns, etc. The idea is to get a feel for rough numbers. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-03          130357

All the major players in this or any tractor market know that four wheel drives best weight distribution is 35% front and 65% rear for these style tractors.. Any weights added would have to change the equation to include them for all. Yes a loader does change the balance, that would still be adding weight and not in the best place and it would or definitly should be counter balanced. Going back to my earlier post I still stand by what I said. One other concern would also be if you were to need to mow in four wheel drive. Some manufacturers will try and lead the rear axle with the front with to much lead on the front axle. We have found that 2 to 5% maximum is near perfect. ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-06-03          130389

All,

Thanks for all your input … I drove the HST L3130 today equiped with a rear discharge three point mower WOW!! That thing gobbled up the grass … even took it out in the pasture and cut a bit … again WOW!

Tomorrow I’ll take her through the tree rows to see how she fits.

If all things go well I think I’d like to buy this tractor … I’ll take a moment and share why.

It feels a great deal more stable than the TC33 I drove, as it should be, it’s larger and heavier.

The farmer down the road had a perma grin on his face the entire time he was driving it.

He also mentioned several times that it won’t hurt my grass and would do a great job at pushing the type snow we get in this area … he felt the bucket and the blade I'd like to get would be enough do the snow thing without a purchasing a snow blower.

More importantly I had a perma grin on my face the entire time I was driving it … and the cut on the grass looked great.

It feels like a tank … being an old aircraft weapons loader … well I like that.

My wife has informed me that I intend on getting a couple horses
.. and doing all the things required to house and maintain them … yes dear ;-)

I think this tractor will go a long way in helping me do the above task and any other I throw at.

The more I drove it the less bulky it seemed.

Fella’s … I just really like this dag on tractor.

Now then … the equipment and price.

The tractor is an 06 with 200HRs on it

Dealer says he’ll sell the base tractor for $15,500 the LA 723 loader with bucket for around $3800
Three point is 1,650 … demo used.

sales tax is 3% and finnacing will cost 5.9%

What do you think fellas?

Thanks in advance for any/all input
Rick ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-04          130428

Is it still available with the new finacing? You had questions on tires before, what was on the tractor? Did yo have a loader on it? How did it get the two hundred hours on it? You probably could use a five or six foot brush hog mower for pastures. A bit small to do any haying with, in two ways if the ground is hilly, horsepower and weight. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-05          130451

Rick,

You got a hefty lot to take care of, you need a hefty tractor to do the job, the L3130 shouldn't disappoint you.

And in all your decisions, you gotta factor in the "grin factor".

:) ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-06-05          130478

Art/All

I was mistaken … the tractor is a 2005 model

It has 200 hours on it because they loaned to the state fair folks to pull around carts and things … they also loaned it out for another city event doing similar tasks and some demos.

The tires are much wider on this tractor than the DX I was looking at and are industrial instead of AG tires so I don't think they would be a problem

5.9 financing is available for this model tractor which is the NEW rate I’m told.

I didn’t have a loader on it when I tested it but I thought I could remove it when mowing.
Please let me know if the above is stinken thinken.

Don’t know if I will do any haying … thought about having someone else do that and just get a percentage of it.

I wouldn’t call the area hilly as much as having gradual rise

Could you please have a peek at the below quotes and let me know what you think …

Thanks again for everyone’s help

Rick

B3030HSD-F Kubota 4WD Tractor 30Hp
List $16,752.00
Sale $14,999.00

LA403 Front Loader $ 2,477.00
B2315 Joystick Control Valve $ 630.00
QA-KU1 Quick Coupler $ 585.00
L2234 66" Bucket $ 559.00

Y650R 72" Finishing Mower $ 1,650.00
$ 20,400.00
5% $ 1,020.00

L3130HST Kubota 4WD 31Hp Tractor
List $18,140.00
Sale $15,500.00

LA723 Front Loader $ 3,543.00
L2213A Joystick Control Valve $ 646.00
L2231A Quick Coupler $ 407.00
L2235 72" Skid-steer Quck Attach Bucket $ 621.00

Y650R 72" Finishing Mower $ 1,650.00
Total $ 23,485.35

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-05          130490

Rick,

Since none of our resident experts gave you their final word on your quotes, I'll give you my ignorant opinion. You do not want anything that was used at at state fairs and demos. Surely those folks didn't baby that tractor when it needed it most. Out of these two, I'd get the new tractor. ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-06-05          130508

Denis,

I welcome/appreciate all opinions ... all of them.

Now I hear you on the new tractor ... problem is ... I like the L3130.
I drove the B-3030 a few moments ago and well .. Think I'm more comfortable with the larger L frame.

It does come with full warranty.

Since I've decided on the L3130 SIZE ...
I'm now interested in looking at the L3400 ... I understand it has a few more HP at the PTO but a few less options than the L3130 like ... a MMM

I don't plan on going with a MMM anyway so this may be an option to look at.

With all that being said above I still would be interested to know what is thought by folks of the quoted dealer prices on got the tractors ... particullarly the L3130.

As always ... thanks in advance for your help
Rick

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-06          130517

The price is okay on the 3130 and I don't feel that to pull wagons around a fair grounds or for a city fair is as abusive as a tractor and loader left at someones house for a day or two that doesn't know how to run either. When there are people around like at a fair they are actually run quite easily. The L-3400 won't take a mid mower or the front pto attachments either. The loader is not as strong as a 723 and if you might desire to try and pick small round bales of hay some day for horses the added capacity and weight of the 3130 could be an asset. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-06          130520

Richard,

It looks like you have been given great advice. My own experience on tractor in yard with RFM. I have used from cuttent CUT of about 1800 pounds and industrial tires, up to over 7,000 with ag tires. Taking it easy on at least three diffrent yards with no problems. Foot print is importnat. So is soil type and how wet it is and your speed. Let it pour rain and those same yards will mud up with a light weight riding mower.

BTY, using a RFM moves weight off of the tractor tires to those tires in normal use.

GD, GB ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-06-06          130526

Denis/Art/K

All have been a great help

K Thompson

I apologize but I don’t know all the acronyms you used …
If you have a chance could you type them out

I’m pretty sure on most but for clarity sake I’d like to make sure I understand you correctly.

I know I know I know … I owe I owe I owe

Thanks again
Rick

PS One more question

The position control for the three point on the L3130 has eight detents as I remember.

The three point did'nt begin to move till I got to around five

Should I be concerned? The salesman sain no ...

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-06          130528

Rick,

RFM, rear finishing mower
CUT, compact utility tractor
BTY, by the way
GD, good day
GB, God Bless

Hope that was all of them.

GD, GB ....

View my Photos
Ricknd

2006-06-06          130534

K Thompson,

Thanks for the break down.

Lastly though ... would yo be concerned with the Postion Control acting the way I mentioned in my last post?

GB

and

Thanx!!!! again

Rick

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-06          130548

Rick,

As to your lift lever question there are those who will be 100% but based upon my 2 Kubotas one smaller and one larger than the L, I doubt if either of those lift levers start picking up the lift arms with the first movement of the lift lever. I am sure on my B model it does not.

There probably is some adjustment to that lever's position. You also could test it against another tractor there.

GB ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-07          130585

Those that I've got in the yard seem to start the upward movement at the 2 mark. It might be a simple adjustment. ....

View my Photos
yellowstone

2009-12-28          167767

Spam deleted by moderator. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login