Go Bottom Go Bottom

Shopping For a Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-30          87282

Now that I have over a 100 acres of grass land to cut; I have been considering and looking at a rotary cutter for the job. My preference would be for the John Deere MX5 but at nearly $1,800, I don't like the idea of taking a top of the line cutter like that out into field cutting conditions in which most of the land has not been cut in over 2 or more years. I am thinking about going with a King Kutter 5 ft. model with a slip clutch instead of the shear bolt. I would hate to trash out a rotary cutter like an MX5 in harsh conditions and at $550; the King Kutter seems to be a pretty well built unit and I won't feel near as bad if I trash it out making the first cuts on my new farm . I plan to set it as high as possble for the first cuts to avoid as much debry and obstacles as possible. Then I will go back and clean up the exposed hazards and cut lower. When I get the place in shape like I want it; I may go with an MX5 down the road.

Any comments or suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-30          87308

Don't sound like a bad idea, My KK has been a fine chopper and like you said a lot cheaper.With a 100 acers of mowing to do your going to have to start saving your bucks any way to step up in tractor size, some thing that can run about a 15 foot cutter.Good luck with the new property. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-30          87310

Chief,
You may be suprised how much abuse the KK will take without damage.
Once you get done clearing with the KK you can keep right on using it, because it will still work fine !
You may want to consider a 6'.
I run a 6'KK on my DK 35, (which is comparable to the HP of your JD) with no problem.
My mowing speed is controled more by the roughness of the field than power.
I paid just under $700 for a 6' KK cutter.
$95 for a slip clutch.
Total around $800 ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-05-30          87311

ood deal buying thta land, looks real nice. 100 acres does sound like you will be spending the better part of 2 weeks brushhogging :) Man you must love tractorin! ....

View my Photos
bigtractor

2004-05-31          87337

Take a look at the Woods BB60 Standard duty. The KK uses the same cheap gearbox as Howse and all the others. The Woods gearbox has large oil galleys for lubing the lower bearing and is a chunk.
I sell the BB60 with a slip clutch for under $1000 and cannot keep them in stock.
You will like the smooth deck for not gathering trash, the 3 yr gearbox warr., and the extra deck throat allows debris to get on top the blades for better grinding and less wind-rowing. Also extra lift points for adjusting to your tractor.

And for a few bucks more can get her in JD green, orange, red, blue.

A good point also is I order parts for Woods mowers all the time that are 10-20-30 plus years old with no problem.

Now if you want a hoss the med. duty is awesome equivilant to others heavy duty.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Dave ....

View my Photos
Lou_Braun

2004-05-31          87358

I would recommend getting a quality medium duty cutter instead of buying an inexpensive one first. A 6' medium duty (Woods or equal) with a slip clutch will take more abuse than you would be willing to give it and will stay working for years to come.

My 6' cutter is a medium duty Caterpillar Challenger model - it is probably identical to a Woods. So far the only disadvantage (besides the price) is the extra weight of this unit. This year I've cut heavy brush where the ground is full of unexpected suprises. No problems at all with the cutter.

Lou Braun ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-05-31          87378

I just cut my ten acre field with my 6 ft woods cutter. There is NO WAY in the world you would get me to cut 100 acres with a five or six foot cutter more than once. Unless you really like the sun and have alot of time on your hands.
What is your future plans for the land? I would think it will take 2 days to cut a 100 acres with a 5 ft cutter ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-05-31          87380

That's why I posted about a larger tractor that could pull at least a 15 footer.A 5 or 6 footer is a little small for a 1oo acre mowing ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-31          87383

I wasn't planning on cutting it all at once. Perhaps 10 to 20 acres at a time on a rotating schedule or as needed. I'm not in any big hurry to get things done. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-31          87384

Chief, so far I've had good luck with my 5' KK. It goes right through thick hazelnut brush and small popples. Only the unseen stumps cause the shear bolt to shear. I'll get a slip clutch soon too.

I think it's a good deal. You can buy two for the price of one midrange cutter.
Dave ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-31          87385

Oh, and the 5' cutter will fit inside a pickup bed. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-31          87386

Brokenarrow, we eventually plan to build a home on it and live there. Maybe try our hand at a Bed & Breakfast along with leasing out hunting or guided hunts. Still on the learning curve about that end of it. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-01          87420

Chief:

I've made several posts in the past about my KK and have been happy with its performance. I do consider it low end, but I'm not trying to make a picture perfect lawn either.

My question is why do you want to mow the whole 100 acres? Wouldn't you rather keep the natural setting? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-01          87423

yooperpete, the place is about 314 acres of which I estimated about 100 acres is in open or fenced in fields. It has not been cleared in over 2 years and I am at a point of either letting it go for good or cutting it back. I wanted some open land for horses or cattle if I decide to go that route. For the time being I need to at least keep the entrances and road/trails on the property open. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-01          87426

Chief:

I got what you have in mind. Mow several passes along the trail network and keep pasture free of brush that naturally comes up. I'd get a 72" KK with clutch. Save your money on this one and save it for another implement purchase. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-01          87427

Randy, it may be easier & cheaper for you to spend a couple of bucks on some fencing and get a farm in the area to turn some animals loose out there.

In this area it is common for farmers to make deals on pasture land, they get the land 'free' in exchange for snowblowing, or maintenance of some form.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-01          87429

People out here use farm animals a lot to graze their pastures. It's amazing to watch the circle of life - the grass grows, the farm animals eat the grass, and the coyotes eat the farm animals. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-06-01          87430

Chief, I take it your guided hunts will be for beginners as cows and horses aren't that hard to hunt and shoot!!!!!!!
Just kidding, but I have to ask one other question Chief "Did you get any hats or promo items when you bought your land?"
On a serious note, I have one of the cheap rotary cutters that CT Farm and Country used to sell (can't remember the name) but I have abused that thing to death clearing off a 3 acre lot and a 6.5 acre lot and the only thing I have had to do is replace sheer pins and sharpen the blades. WV limestone can be quite rough on mowers and cutters but I've had this one for over 10 years and it's still going strong. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-01          87448

Murf, the farm is fenced and cross fenced. Looks to have been done fairly recently although I have been having to put up with thieves steeling fence posts. I have been thinking about leasing out for some cattle. Good fertilizer return as well. ;o) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login