Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
SELou
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-27          50180

I've got just under 20 acres of terraced pasture that needs to be cut several times a year. I usually have a few horses or cattle keep the grass down, but they always leave me the thistle and weeds. I had a neighbor cut the flat areas with his brushhog in the past, but he's moved off. While the land is gently rolling, the terrace slopes are a challenge to cut with a brushhog. I also have more than a few rock and bolder outcrops to work around. What is my best, affordable cutting option to pull or mount behind a 35hp compact tractor?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-27          50191

I would use exactly what he used. A regular duty rotary cutter (brushog) would do what you need. Since you are talking grass and weeds, you don't need a heavy duty model. With that HP you can easily run a 6' cutter. If that is 35 PTO hp you might even run a 7' model. You can get regular duty 6' rotary cutters new for $600-$700. ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-27          50192

what brand are u talking about for 6 to7 hundred? ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-27          50194

I might add that a pull behind would probably be better on the terraces as it would ride along on the contour of the ground. If you use a 3PT mount, then mow with the terraces rather than across them. ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-27          50195

Howse makes them in that range. That's what I have. I believe King Kutter is about the same price range. ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-27          50198

My 7ft is class 2 and requires 55 hp. What unit are you talking about that will use only 35 hp?

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-27          50199

Peters - I run a 6' regular duty rotary cutter behind my 27 PTO hp with no problem. I was only speculating that with an additional 8 hp he might run a 7' model cutting only pasture grass and weeds. ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-27          50218

You are right Bill if you think of the area cut (28 sq ft to 38.5 sq ft) but I think the cutting area on the blade is different.
Mine is a BH 287 and it is 55 HP min. I have not stalled my tractor in high/thick grass but need to increase power some times.
The Deere MX-6 is rated at 30 HP min, the MX-7 is rated at 50 HP min.
If my terrain was extremely rough/terrace I guess I might look into a flail mower to keep the weight tighter to the tractor and keep from scalping the edges as you go over the crest. There is also an area that is tough to mow at the bottom. This problem increases as the mower get bigger/longer.
How can you tell that my land is not flat either.
Peters ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-02-28          50237

I think that he said he did not want to use a rotary cutter. After living in the southern piedmont area, I know why. The terraces that were made years ago were unmanageable for tractors in some areas.

A satisfactory alternative is to purchase a sickle bar cutter or a disc mower. They mow offset so that a tractor can ride on top of the terrace and the mower can pivot down (most models will swing down 60 defrees or more) and follow the side of the terrace. If your tractor is fairly small, don't worry, small version of these implements are made. ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-28          50247

Marc you can buy an off set flail mower also.
If the terrain is extremely inaccessable then a rotory mower on an arm would be best. A friend of mine has one, but you need a fairly large tractor and good hydraulic flow to be able to use. ....

Link:   Offset Flail

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
SELou

2003-02-28          50257

Well guys thanks for your suggestions; marklugo got it right, I'm in the southern piedmont of Georgia and all my sloped land is terraced; about 4-5 steps per acre.

If I use a regular brushhog up and down the slopes I scalp the crests and the rocks hidden within. The step nature of the terraces wreck havoc on the 3pt hitch and brushhog, shortening everyones life. If I brushhog along the contours, it's one scary trip along the terrace slope, and I'm too close to retirement for rollovers.

I've looked at flail mowers, too expensive and they don't get along with granite very well. I'm assuming the pull behind Bill mentioned is a finishing mower. Hadn't really considered a sickle bar, can you move right along with a sickle, or do you need to slow way down? Any recommendations on makes or models?

Again thanks for your thoughts!!

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-28          50263

SELou - Actually I was thinking of the rotary cutter type that connects to the drawbar rather than the 3Pt. These ride along on the ground rather than are supported by the 3PT and simply follow the contour of the land. Specifically I was remembering some of the older models that have 2 wheels (one each side) centered on the deck and blade so that the blade height is constant. I don't know about the newer model pull behinds but it appears they all have 2 rear wheels. I think you can get those in drawbar models also. There are 3PT models with 2 wheels, but there are pull behinds with 2 wheels also. You might check with a dealer to see how they work. A search on google.com for rotary cutter pull will bring up numerous web sites where you can see pictures of them. Most are larger types, but a little searching will turn up some 6 footers. And you might even find a picture of the center wheel type I was refering to, probably used. ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-28          50266

SELou - Here is one web site showing a 2 wheel model. I don't know anything about it. It appears to connect to the drawbar only, no 3PT. Looks like a hand crank in the rear to adjust the cutting height. It appears it could still scalp when the front of the tractor was suddenly higher than the rear causing the front of the deck to drop. Maybe you could adjust the deck higher in front to compensate. Just a thought.
http://www.tractorbuddies.com/md172.html ....

Link:   pull behind

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-28          50270

My mower is 3 pt hitch, but has the dual wheels. If it is steep enough it will scalp with this type of mower just due to the length of the deck.
I have had my 60" finish mower do it with the 4 wheels.
I guess the cheapest option would be a cycle bar mower, but I am not sure I would want to be watching the blade and heading doen the hill at the same time.
The disk mowers would be as expensive as the flail and again you would need to watch your ground level as you are trying to drive on the hill.
The mowers I was discribing is shown in the post, but not a CUT piece of equipment.
I guess the other option would be to look into an articulated CUT. Some of these are designed for the slopes. The Power Trac machines many be an option for you as you would be close. A 30 Hp tractor is 13K.

Link:   LP

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-02-28          50276

Say, SELOU
where are you at? might know you.GA man too.

Disc mowers are available in 5 ft versions and operate fine with 35 HP. Speeds are up to 10 mph. The newer pitman less style sickle bars can manage 7mph. Any 20 hp can handle a 7 ft. I put my self through college bushhogging and doing tractor work. You should not keep thinking about any thing tht you are uncomfortable with on those terraces. My dad's dealership in Royston is located on 13 acres of terraced land and he has ended up buying a sickle bar cutter to manage it. New sickles are around 2500 and new 5 ft disc mowers are around 4300. Both are excellent for cutting around pond banks as well. Follow the link to find more info on both. ....

Link:   link

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
SELou

2003-03-03          50424

Again, thanks for your advise! I stopped by a dealer last weekend to look at his pull-behind rotary cutters. He carried several brands, but all had the two carry wheels at the rear of the carriage. He did not know of any manufacturers that made mid-wheel versions. The only sickle bar he had was old and very used. I guess I'll wait until I need the first cut of the year and pay one of the locals bring their sickle over to cut the terrace slopes. If it works well I might buy one. In the meantime I'll keep looking for the elusive pull-behind mid-wheel rotary cutter.

Thanks again,
SELou
Cherokee County, GA ....

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-03-10          50922

SELou - If you are still looking for a pull behind, I happen to stumble across this site. It has Howse pull behinds with the rear wheels centered on the rear deck to prevent scalping. Pulls like a trailer. Might be just what you need. ....

Link:   Pull behind rotary cutter

How to Best Mow Terraces

View my Photos
SE Lou

2003-03-11          50964

Bill,
Thanks for the info.
Lou ....

Go Top Go Top