Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Todd Wilson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-26          31307

Yesterday a friend of mine was working his 45 horse Kioti with a bushhog and he twisted the PTO shaft and tweaked the bushhog. He cut the twist out of the shaft and rewelded some pipe in to replace the tweaked part. We had to straighten the 3pt frame on the bush hog and he went back to work. He was in stuff that was 8 foot tall at least and it twisted the rest of the original PTO shaft up like a corkscrew. Does he have too much HP for this bushhog or is something else going on? He's not hitting things causing a sudden stop of the hog. He isnt shearing the pin he's just twisting PTO Shafts when it gets into the heavy stuff. I get my JD 950 and bushhog into this stuff and it hunkers down and goes thru but his Kioti is much bigger and my bushhog is much heavier then his. His looks like an old red and white TSC model.ANy ideas?Thanks!Todd

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-27          31310

I'd check the max hp rating of the cutter. There's a good chance the tractor is over the max hp rating for the implement. There's also a good chance the shear pin is appropriate for the tractor but not the implement. Shear pins come in various hardness grades. For problems like hitting things, shear pins are good. For high continuous loads, a slip-clutch might be better. Myself, I don't believe I'd want to work with, or around, a shaft that had been 'field welded,' or welded at all for that matter. Maybe other people have different attitudes. It also sounds like the shaft doesn't have a shield. 'Course my whole family did their farming before shields. My family escaped serious accidents, but accidents weren't uncommon before shields. From the description, the situation sounds too slip-shod for my liking. ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-27          31321

I'm with Tom, if this is happening than 1) the mower (or at least the drive-shaft) is very over-driven, and 2) if the factory welding and material let go, the repair is not far behind. Be CAREFUL......... ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-09-01          31492

The problem could be there is to big or strong of a shear bolt in this thing. For another possibility the shaft could be frozen and not allowing the shear bolt to shear. ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-09-03          31532

Yep, I'm with Art, Murf, and Tom. There isn't any doubt that if the shear bolt had been doing its job then this wouldn't have happened. So he should clean up that shear joint and make sure the bolt is right. Most everyone uses grade 2 bolts as shear pins.
If the shear pin doesn't work, then any tractor - Kioti or JD - can tear up the PTO shaft back to the implement....for that matter, it could tear up the PTO shaft inside the tractor and part of the transmission as well.
Like Murf says, anytime that a shaft is damaged to that extent it has done its job and it is time to replace it. Unless you are Superman, you can't see the little stress cracks that are bound to be there after twisting that shaft. The first time it only twisted. The next time it stands a good chance of cracking through.

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Phil Weathington

2001-09-27          32071

Well, I agree with everyone on this subject. If the sheer pin was working, you would have avoided this problem. However, the real problem is the cutter. A good cutter is an investment that pays for it's self over time. You can get a jd (heavy duty) cutter or a rinho (heavy duty cutter) for about $1500 dollars. Make sure your cutter comes a clutch on the drive link and heavy duty gear box. No need for shear pins and you wont tear the thing up. I learned this hard way by buying three new drive links and a gear box for a Dale phillips cutter. Good Luck ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
CCImports

2003-02-21          49748

You have to match the cutter to the tractor and to the job as well. The TSC cutter just is not made for the extra HP the Kioti has. ....

Link:   Rhino Rotary Cutters

Picture Link
Mowers Field and Finish PTO Twisted

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Billy

2003-02-22          49763

It certainly does sound like a wrong grade shear bolt. The shear bolt should be the first thing to fail, regardless of HP.

Billy ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
bullworker

2003-02-22          49766

you can buy drive shaft material from most tractor stores, the expensive parts are the ujoints and splined conectors witch can usualy be saved, any good fab shop can handle this repair safley. i personaly have repaired dozens. ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-02-22          49773

If he continues to use the cutter as is, he will be tearing the PTO out of the tractor.
I agree with the others, the sheer bolt is the wromg grade or froze to the shaft.
Also a slip clutch can be added to that cutter .
TSC sells the slip clutch for around $95 which is much cheaper than a gear box or tractor transmission ! ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2003-02-22          49788

45hp isn't all that much to put through a shaft--providing the guy was using the right kind of tubing for the repair.

I had an off-road "toy"Jeep that kept breaking front drive shafts (175HP with 35" tires). It would turn them into pretzles.

The fix was: I had a piece of galvanized 1/4" wall (Schedule 40?) pipe laying around and welded it in there and never had a problem. The problem with "regular" welded pipe (seam along it's length) is just that--it's nothing more than a flat piece of metal rolled into a pipe--the weld fails and that's it. There is "seamless" or DOM (drawn over mandrel) pipe but it sold by the inch not the foot--cost" about $3 an inch depending on size.

I bent my PTO shaft (stupidly I must say) when I disconnected the top link to get the TC33D AND the mower to fit on the trailer. I have since decided to install a hydraulic pump onto the PTO, run lines back to an orbit motor and get rid of the PTO shaft entirely. I use a rotary power rake which shakes the bejeezes out of the tractor when the cardan (u-joints) are out of phase so hopefully that will be cured with the hydraulic conversion.

Why didn't I just run it off the engine's hydraulic pump??? Not enough fluid volume. ....

PTO Twisted

View my Photos
Art White

2003-02-25          49962

One thing to remember on shear pins! They normally require a jolt to shear. It sounds like this is just a heavy continous load that might just be causing the shaft to have to much load. While looking at some mowers the other day with a salesperson, they were showing me there fine line and I came to a part that sounds just like this. A unit that is rated for 40 horsepower with a 25 horsepower drive shaft! Mind you it has a 60 horsepower gearbox that he brought to my attention! He was not aware that the driveshaft was small for the horsepower rating. Unfortunatly there are many machines out there that on one end of there line-up get short changed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login