Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cuting 1-2 quot pines with Landpride rotary cutter

View my Photos
Scott Stewart
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-06          14527

I just got done cutting a bunch of small pines with my NH1725 and Landpride rotary cutter. I would like to know if I did the right thing. Most of the trees were 2" or less although some of them may have been a little bigger. The things I noticed was a rubber smell (assume the slip clutch was slipping) and that the trees were so dense that sometimes I couldn't ride over all of them. So I tried backing the cutter over them. That did the trick. I am curious if any of this sounds way to dangerous to repeat or is this just another day in the life.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-04-07          14548

As you said, "Just another day in the life". When I do this I'm usually on a bigger tractor but I find it easier to back into the saplings with the cutter lifted and bring it down slowly. Works pretty well if you take a little bit at a time but you don't need anyone standing around real close because it can throw stuff a long way. The only drawback that I've found is that it will leave 2" high stumps that can be hell on tires if you run over one in just the wrong way. ....

View my Photos
Keith Boyd (Huntmas

2000-04-07          14552

You did not specify which Land Pride mower you have. I have a Land Pride 15-48, which is a medium duty mower rated to cut 1" I believe (don't have the manual right in front of me) brush. In reality, I think it would cut 2" pines but have not tried to. The 25 Series are the heavy duty models. I am certain that they are rated to cut 2" and maybe even bigger stuff.

Keith ....

View my Photos
Scott Stewart

2000-04-07          14556

I've got the RCR2560 and it certainly looks heavy duty. I was mostly concerned with burning up the slip clutch or hurting the tractor. The tractor has 27hp at the PTO (non-hydro) and it did stall out once. I must have hit something when I was backing in to some trees. Thanks for your thoughts. ....

View my Photos
Ron Jankavs

2000-04-09          14615

Scott; Ive found that backing up over brush with a bushhog will throw limbs through an tire, I know , expensive education!!! ....

View my Photos
Reginald W. Lamson

2000-04-10          14650

Theres a guy in this area who is selling small pines,4 ft tall,for $20 each.He advertises in the local paper.If yours are easy digging,you might not want to cut them all down. ....

View my Photos
Dan Wisconsin

2000-07-30          18380

Be careful backing up. I have a Landpride cutter and have backed into stumps. Bends it pretty badly. Reginald: I grow trees for a living. I have $20 four-foot pines. I also have four foot pines that I mow down. If you would like to dig I'll sell them to you for a dollar each. ....

View my Photos
Bob Steele

2000-08-01          18457

An old ("experienced" ??) farmer told me that cutting 1-2" trees is "messing your nest" if you ever want to mow that ground again. "Best way to pop a tire is with a 1-2" spear". I am old and not experienced but I have found this man's advice to be always be wise. Just a thought.

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-02          18464

Bob, I'm "old" and just a little bit "experienced". Some say that cutting 1-2" stuff with a brush hog "shatters" the little stump instead of making a smooth cut (since rotary cutter blades are not really sharp) so that it's less likely to puncture a tire the next time; claiming that cutting one off with an ax or chain saw and leaving a little stump or "stob" is more likely to puncture tires. I think there's some truth to that, but I also think, depending on the type of brush cut, that the old, experienced farmer was right. And I've seen a neighbor puncture a tire exactly that way, so I'm a little reluctant to go back over areas of small trees that have been brush hogged before, although so far I've not had a problem when I found it necessary to do. It'd be interesting to hear of others' experience with this. ....

View my Photos
jim moore

2000-08-04          18522

I am a retired police chief at Augusta, Arkansas. I have about 7 acres of wooded area that has large cottonwood, cypress and elm trees widely spaced. The area between the trees was grown up with underbrush, 1 and 2 inch trees and vines. I had cut some of it with a chainsaw and then I had the rest cut with a bush hog. Now 3 years later all that were cut with the chainsaw has sprouted back. The stumps that were cut with the "hog" have all rotted away. It seems that the ragged, jagged stumps cut with the bush hog didn't sprout back, so they rotted instead. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-04          18523

Jim, I've had similar experience with some of the stuff I've cut (and I was just a captain in the Dallas PD before retiring), but it depends to some extent on the kind of trees or brush, i.e., mesquite will come back no matter what you cut it with, but if you mow it once or twice a year it'll never get any bigger than a big weed. But I think a good percentage of the brush will die out and rot when shattered by the brush hog. ....

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2000-08-07          18582

I also find that most of the trees cut by the shredder die out.
I have seen little problem driving over previously cut trees. The stump
left usually is very loose in the ground and bends over when run over again.
The mesquite does tend to return as a small bush but will stay small if
you mow oftern. If you really want to get serious about eliminating the
mesquite shred them and spray the stump with a mixture of Roundup & diesel.
Radical but it does get rid of them. ....

View my Photos
Ken Lang

2001-02-05          23962

This may be old news at this point but just my input. I have cut 2" brush with my NH1320 and an old beat-up HYCO rotary cutter I picked up for $180. I think the name of the game, especially with a smaller tractor like mine (about 19 PTO hp) is take it slow and easy. The cutter will thrash the brush. Once you have the brush down gather it into a pile and burn it. I did this by a combination of 'hand' work and using my front loader in the areas that I was concerned about puncturing a tire. Once the brush was burning real hot I used the loader to uproot all the little stumps and I threw those on the pile as well. While this was a lot of work I ended up with a clean area that I seeded and is now lawn. This technique probably wouldn't be sutible for large areas. The area I did was about 100 feet long and about 50 feet wide. If you don't have a front loader you may get by with a back blade. One last word of caution - always wear safty goggles or safety glasses with side shields when 'brush hogging'. I had worn safety glasses without side shields and had a piece of wood hit me in the cheek under my glasses. The piece of wood got past the glasses becuase I had my head turned looking in back of the tractor. Had it been a little higher it could have been real bad as it stung my cheek pretty good. Work Safe. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-02-06          23992

Scott welcome to the lifes adventures of compact tractors I think you are fitting in just fine. It is good to slip the slip clutch once in awhile so it doesn't set-up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login