Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
RRagent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-20          138959

I have got a piece of plexglass 4' x 8'by 1/2 inch thick,
I want to cut out a 2 piece windshield for my rtv,
Does anyone know the best way to cut this stuff?.

Thanks in Advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-20          138962

Don't know how to cut it, but don't drill it for holes. Take a piece round metal the size of he hole you need and heat it red hot and melt the hole, only hold it there long enough to melt through and no longer. I know this isn't what you asked for but it is just my experience, and maybe you already know this:)

David ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-20          138963

My guess is your best bet would be a band saw. Next would be a circular saw with the blade flipped around backwards (so the back side of the teeth strike the plastic). Either way if the edges will be visible you'll want to sand the edges smooth. For best appearance I've flame polished plastic (brush the edges lightly with a flame from a propane torch) but you might want to practice on scrap first (and make sure the edges are clean, otherwise any dirt will become a permanent part of the plastic). I've flame polished lexan and some other clear plastics but not plexiglass. I'm no plastics expert but have done this in various hobbies and home projects. ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-01-20          138964

Straight cut? or curved? Straight I do with masking tape, a straight edge, and a utility knife. Score the plexiglass agressively, then put the cut line over the edge of a table or bench. If it's small enough, you can put a dowel under the cut line. Exert enought downward pressure to snap it on the cut line.

Cutting curves is a bit more involved, for that I have a large (bigger than a Dremel) rotary tool. Masking tape still helps preserve the edges.

Masking tape on both sides lets you drill a clean hole too. Just go slow as not to generate enough heat to soften the plexiglass

//greg// ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-01-20          138967

Well, my rotary tool is a variable speed model, so I guess I never worried about heat. For your purposes though, tape and a sharp utility knife and a variable speed drill motor should do just fine. I find that I get cleaner holes (less chipping) with previously used bits than I do with sharp new ones.

//greg// ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
RRagent

2007-01-20          138971

Thanks gregg, I'll try it with rotary tool ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-20          138974

For a short time I had a small plastics fabricating shop. For thin plastics like acrylics, yes a scoring action with the back of a utility knife is okay. Lexan can be cut with a sharp carbide circular saw. What breaks thin material is vibration from the blade. Cut it slow and it will cut great. Even the 1/2" plexi should be cut with carbide cicular saw (table works best). The edges can be sanded, filed, or gound. Or flame-polished. Just keep in mind ANY heat build up on the blade or the material will cause the blade to get sticky and ruin the cut. You can drill it with regular drills with no problem, like you would wood or metal. Just go slow and keep the heat down.

IMHO 1/2" is WAY too thick to use as a window, for a couple of reasons: Weight. The aperature to which you will mount the material (roll bar) will be under great stress from wracking, torquing and general vibration. Optical distortion is the other. Even standing vertically, you will get distortion---sort of like looking through a fish tank--or the thick security windows at the local bank--the objects will not be where you think they are, especially if the material is angled (think of a prism and its effect on bending light). 1/4" is the thickest you'd need to go IMHO.

Tip: A cracked piece of plastic can be slowed from cracking more by drilling a small hole (1/8 -1/4") at the end of the crack. That hole disperses the crack to around the hole. ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
bvance

2007-01-21          138978

If you need just a straight line, a table saw works great. Just put duct tape on so it straddles both sides of the cut line on both side of the plexiglass and use a blade made for fine cuts.

If you need to round the corners, then repeat the tape and use a jig saw with a fine blade. Any roughness left on the edges can be smoothed with a flat stone that you would use to sharpen your knife.

Good Luck!

Brian ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-01-21          138981

half inch /lexan..?..you can drill, cut with reg. saw/small teeths/, drill bits.w/ no problem. Masking tape helps. ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
JasonR

2007-01-21          138982

I've done a lot of cutting with 3/8" and 1/4" lexan - circular saw blade works just fine. For some tough cuts I've used both and end mill and a scroll saw (normal metal blade). Holes are no issues with standard drill bits.

If you drop down to 1/4" though, be careful with hole drilling - as 1/4" lexan with holes easily starts to spider crack under light stress.

- Jason ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-01-22          138994

There is a big difference between Lexan and plexiglass. Plexiglass breaks very easily particularly in thinner sections. Around 1/8" thick Plexiglass may fracture while you are trying to saw or drill.

Most windshields that I've seen on ATV and RTV's have been made from 1/8" thick Lexan. Lexan is more expensive but will last, particularly with bumps, jarring and vibration from your application. Like Earthworks says, boy 1/2" thick is heavy!

Lexan can be drilled and sawn easily. In more static situations we even tap it at times for machine guards, etc.

All of the above scratch easily so care should be taken when cleaning to not rub dirt in. Some glass cleaners also shouldn't be used. Read directions of cleaners first before applying.

When sawing you want very fine teeth and don't push it hard. I also like to mount them using rubber grommets so you don't stress crack it. Stay in a ways from edges. If you can't find grommets locally, like your hardware store, etc. go to McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com). ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
Terry

2007-01-22          138999

Yooperpete , How do you tell difference between Lexan and plexiglass, thanks ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-01-22          139013

When you purchase either of them, they should have a paper or plastic skin on them to prevent scratches in handling. It should say what it is.

After you do your cutting, etc. you peel it off. ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-22          139021

I realize the question was cutting it, but in talking with an air conditioning contractor a few years ago he said you can bend lexan using a sheet metal brake. He did have some he used for air deflectors.

If you are really worried about cutting it, you can clamp a piece of wood on top of it to reduce vibration. Keeping it tight to saw surface seems to be the biggest issue for me.

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-22          139023

Terry: Lexan visually and generally speaking has a blueish or light grayish hue or tint to it, unlike the acrylics (Plexiglass is a brand) which are more clear. Acrylics generally are harder to the touch and harder to scratch (depending on the tool) or item used. Lexan tends to be more flexible and much softer but is easily scratched---even a clean finger wiped across it will scratch it. Each when burned have a certain odor. Polycarbonate is another "plexiglass"-type material. It degrades rapidly in sunlight quicker, and in some cases turns into powder when exposed to sunlight and/or heat. Poly scratches easily too, is hard to work with, and can be brittle. Poly is very hard to burn, unlike acrylics. Poly is used in welding helmets light shields for its resistance to weld spatter. It will accept a hot spatter without melting. Some watch face crystals and eyewear lenses are made of poly---and you'll know it--if you put alcohol or other solvent on them they will turn into a chalky mess.

Kenny: If the AC guy did use a sheetmetal brake chances are he applied heat from a propane torch to the edge. Otherwise, it would have cracked or went back to it's original form of being flat. Some of the newer engineered vynils used for house trim do retain their shape when formed/bent. Some of the styrenes and expanded styrenes can be bent without heat but they tend to fracture and can break. ABS is a type of styrene and is very hard to bend with out it cracking. Heat applied to the bend works well. ....

How to cut Plexiglass

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-01-23          139054

We bend Lexan at our shop frequently using a brake. You don't need to heat it if you are doing a 45 or 90 degree bend. When room temperature you only get one shot at it and need to slightly go beyond the angle since it has some springback. You can't roll it to make a curved surface or bend a large radius in it at the bend. Sometimes it does break for no apparent reason. Heat may help you do some more exotic bends, etc. - haven't tried it myself.

Yes it is soft. Lexan like Plexiglass are tradenames. Lexan is commonly the material used on Bug Shields and have lots of give and flex capabilities even in a broad temperature range. You do need to smooth all corners and edges to avoid a place for a crack to start. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login