Go Bottom Go Bottom

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
monkeyman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-02          103325

I wonder if you can weld your front diff on the RTV to make it a locked front diff. I know it will void the warranty but it needs more pull in the front and is worth it if it will work. Someone let me know if I'm crazy.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-02          103327

Yes and IMO you are!! ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-02          103328

LOL ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-01-03          103402

Well I have seen where they will weld the front diffs on trucks to make them grip more in rock climbing. And this is this might work. I am getting a service manual and then I will be able to research more ideas. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-01-03          103407

I have also heard about 4WD trucks with welded front diffs (also known as "Lincoln Lockers"). However, they also have unlocking front hubs that allow for good steering when 4WD is not required. Without the ability to unlock the front wheels from the welded diff (more than just shifting into the 2WD position as this does not release the wheels from the axle), the steering ability will reduced all the time. Tire wear and would be a problem as would turning a corner on any surface that damages easily. It would be your call if these drawbacks are worth it to gain additional traction that is probably needed only occasionally. For me, they would not be, but that is just my opionion. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-03          103410

How much punishment do you think that tiny little front end will take, after welding, before you have to replace the whole thing? You must have a diff in the front. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-01-04          103423

Makes me now wish I would have not sold my gas Mule. I wanted a deisel. And the Kubota seemed like something I would have liked. My Mule had 1300 plus hours on it. I would climb and pull like a champ. I may just sell this Kubota and get a deisel Mule. I know it will climb well and I know all the pros and cons. You would have figured they would have made it better than the Mule. I bet when they put it head to head, the Mule will whip its ass. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-04          103437

Karwaski better than a Kubota???

Them's fightin' words. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-01-04          103456

Well I own a Kubota now, but if I still had my gas Mule I would love to put it to the test. Pulling would be close. Climbing, the Mule woud win. Roominess, the Mule has more room in the cab. There are good points and bad points to both. I havent owned my Kubota long enough to determine if it's better or not. Only time will tell. I do know this, the Kubota will stay running. I would have to start my Mule all the time. It wouldn't stay idling and if it did it wouldn't for long. But that was how it was designed, to run at a low idle.

So, if you know anyone with a mule that wants to go ass-to-ass. Give it a test. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-04          103486

I spent the better part of an hour today with a Kubota Corporate rep letting him hear it about all good and bad I could think of for Kubotas. I remembered to mention the issues raised here about the rtv. I asked about the front diff and why no lock. He said it was an issue of durability. I told him European compacts have optional electro/hydraulic front diff locks and the rtv is supposed to be built like a compact. He was worried about it being left engaged. I said it should be momentary on like the rear one, that way it would only be on while button held in. He liked that idea. I also mentioned the lack of HP and said TURBO. He sympathized with lack but felt the constant on off of engine like Utility vehicles often have, would be too hard on turbo, but he did say they put them on many tractors where they can fit them. I pressed him about larger HYDRO tractors. He let the cat out of the bag and said they have made a prototype 9000 model utility with about 80HP and put a hydro in it. Now that is what I am talking about. He said he did not know if it would ever make it to production. That's alright, I only need one. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-01-04          103487

what was the number and who did you talk too? i would like to ask a few questions myself. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-04          103489

It was at a farm show and I was just lucky that Kubota sent a real rep and not just a dealer salesman. I may see another one thursday at a different show, so let me know anything you may ask and I will see what I can do. ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-01-04          103490

Sure hope you enjoyed and captured the friendly smile as you two ended your hour long discussion!!

If and when a Cooperate Rep could ever get something elevated to and acted upon by engineering let alone get permission by planners and marketing staffs to even present the project to a board of decision makers to implement the aforementioned ideas is and would be shall we say a snowballs chance in somewhere it wouldn't already be melted!!

But he did a good job and that is his mission!! ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-01-04          103491

who did you talk too and whats the number? ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
jakfrost

2005-01-06          103623

I agree wholeheartedly the RTV needs an electric locking front diff. I'm tired of getting out and putting the 2'x10's with the 1' angle iron cross pieces under both front tires just to get over a little stump or whatever. When I could just flip a switch like on the Yamaha Rino. I think it is more of a price point issue than an engineering issue. We get snow over ice here a lot this time of year and I find I just park the 'bota more often than not.
Jak ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
jakfrost

2005-01-25          104882

O.K. so I'm not about to have the Kubota dealer call and tell me to 'cmon down' and git my new 'lectric locking front diff anytime soon... ordered a set of custom made 'ice'(v-link) tire chains for the front and rear of the RTV. We'll see if that helps. Had to break out the tools yesterday, farm jack and 2"x10" boards to get the bugger out of a hole it dug itself into...broke thru the crust and was hung up like a turtle. No help from the front and only one spinning at the rear. Rear diff lock malfunction I guess :-( ....

LOCKIN FRONT DIFF

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-25          104884

I got mine stuck in the snow while it was chained up on the rear.

It would not spin the wheels in reverse. I could have extracted myself going downhill in reverse, but it simply would not turn the wheels in that direction.

After 5 days at the dealer, they were told by Kubota that it is designed to have limited power in reverse. I have no idea why they would do this, but that came from official sources. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login