Go Bottom Go Bottom

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-22          21719

I had my mind set on a JD 4400(based on reputation and test drive) until I tested the TC40D. I don't like the styling, but the mechanicals are great. Has anyone else had similar experience? I want to make sure this isn't "puppy love". This is my first tractor in MANY years, so I don't want to make a mistake. I'll be using it to mow 8 acres of horse paddocks (some on steep slops), groom mow 3 acres, reclaim and maintain old logging roads (steep terrain),bush hog wooded hillsides and general horse barn use.The price of the TC40D equipped with FEL, Cutter, and Mower is $1,000 above the JD 4400. The NH seems a much better value, if it is as solid as a Deere. I'd love to hear from mechanics and owners of the specific models, as well as those who evaluated both.This Board has been VERY helpful in my search so far. Thanks for your posting.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Peter Accorti

2000-11-22          21720

Mark,

I have the TC35D which is the same frame as the TC40 (but with a smaller engine). I've had the tractor for 4 months now; 80 hrs. I think it is a great tractor. I've had no mechanical problems, HST is very easy to use and it has lots of traction. I have the 16LA loader (no supersteer) and that works just fine too. If you have more specifc questions I'll be happy to help but in general I think that the tractor is well built.

Peter ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
eric

2000-11-23          21743

Mark i've been looking at those same tractors and been quoted 2000 less for the NH TC-35D at the most expensive local dealer of 4 than the JD 4400's least expensive dealer out of 3 if I were you I would look around a little more that pretty much decided me but I was willing to drive around up to 100 miles but as luck would have it the best NH dealer was 18 miles down the road ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
mark

2000-11-23          21746

Eric,
What do you figure is price difference between the TC35D and TC40D should be?

Mark ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Michigander

2000-11-23          21747

The TC35D is the model to compare to the 4400 Deere. The TC40D needs to be compared to the 4500 JD. The 4500 is also a larger framed unit but does not have hydro as an option. Only the Power Reverser. I was quoted 19,300 for the TC35D with the 16LA loader vs 21,000 for the 4400. The NH dealer told me to consider the TC40D for $21,000 because the TC40D has a four cylinder engine vs a three cylinder in the TC35D. (4400 is 3 cyl also)
The NH dealer was out of brochures and let me take his Sales Training book that highlights how to sell the Boomers against JD & Kubota. It's pretty interesting as it has a feature comparison matrix with capacities, options etc. I can answer any question with a NH spin....except how to justify the purchase to my wife. Someone needs to post "10 reasons to tell your wife why you need a new compact tractor!" ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-11-23          21748

Michigander--capability-wise and hp-wise, the JD4400 is comparable to the TC35D, however when I was looking at the TC35D as a replacement for my JD4400, I found the TC35D to be a much larger tractor in physical dimensions. ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Michigander

2000-11-24          21752

Mike, you are right the TC35D is quite a bit larger than the 4400. NH made the move to the larger frame at 35HP instead of 40HP as Deere did. If you want to compare on frame size, you'd have to use the TC33D instead. The fairest match up would be to the 4300 Deere(32HP). ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2000-11-24          21753

Michigander - I have a TC29D that I got a year ago last August (165 hours now).

RE your wife and the pending tractor purchase: I discovered it was a lot easier to beg for forgivness than to get permission!

Now that we have had it for a year, she is glad I (we) got it. ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
ghtf

2000-11-24          21755

10 reasons to tell your wife why you need a new compact tractor

1. I値l get my chores done sooner so I can spend more time with the kids.
2. I値l get my chores done sooner so I can spend more time with you.
3. I値l get my chores done sooner so I can spend more time doing your chores.
4. I値l get my chores done sooner so I can spend more time doing your parents chores.
5. I値l be spending so much time at home that I won稚 be able to spend as much time at the tavern.
6. A new compact tractor is cheaper than a new RV.
7. The neighbor lady won稚 hit on me like when I bought the Corvette.
8. I can grow $400.00 worth of organic vegetables with my $18,000.00 investment.
9.I値l buy you a new Lincoln if you buy me a new compact utility tractor.
10. The vibration from my 1967 Simplicity is ruining our sex life.

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-11-24          21757

You'll never know how close to the mark you are. The only things I would take issue with are that I never wanted to own a RV and the corvette was a Mustang GT convertible, the Lincoln was a Cadillac and the Simplicity was an old JD 318. Man, you're good. ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
ghtf

2000-11-24          21762

21 years with the same woman.

I've learned my lessons. ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-11-24          21766

Art--you are, indeed, lucky--not only having the success of 21 years of marriage to the same woman, BUT UNDER5TANDING THE RULES. Many of us are like me--even after 16 years of marriage, when we think we understand the rules, THEY CHANGE THE RULES;-) Mike S. ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
keith metler

2000-11-24          21770

Hey I will jump in on this one. Substitute boat for RV (sold the corvette to buy the boat). Substitute Lexus for Lincoln. Sold my old Case 222 and bought a JD 4100. We are predictable. ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Michigander

2000-11-24          21773

The 10 reasons are great. The only problem is that now my wife thinks if she had the 1987 Simpliciy, things would be great!

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
mark

2000-11-25          21805

Hey guys, I love the comments about the wife, but what about my tractor questions?! ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
John Shade

2000-11-25          21808

I have a TC33D w/SS & 7308 loader with 100 hours & like it alot -ESPECIALLY the dealer. NH generally seems to have very attractive financing if needed. Regarding cross comparison, it gets confusing due to NH, JD, & Kubota not always all changing frame size along with Hp. The frame size can affect cost more than Hp. The TC33 may compare to the JD4400 size but w/less Hp & the TC29 has similar Hp as K-B2910 but w/larger frame. If you can afford the TC35 or TC40, they have impressive design & functionality - the best I've seen & if they are like the other Boomers, you shouldn't go wrong with one. The loader design & capacity looks great. I do not know as much about JD - our local dealer closed up a couple of years ago & I was not impressed by more distant dealers that I visited (which seem to be supported by others on the board). With respect to the wife, try to make her part of the process - once she drives a Boomer, she may buy it (as mine did) & you may have to share it alot... I'm no expert, but these are my observations... ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-25          21809

Mark, I had some initial problems with my tc29d. Most of it was taken care of immediately by the dealer, one item I had to call the factory to get satisfaction (the gear box on the mower deck was bad out of the box and I wanted it replaced). I just noticed the cruise control doesn't work, but I have never tried it so it probably never did. I think the U.S. assembly plant is cranking them out so fast, some of the QC is being overlooked, something apparent to a lesser extent on the JD. Otherwise it is a very sturdy, well thought out machine. I owned a 4100 and the machine was underpowered for some jobs, however the deere implement change ie: belly deck and loader seemed easier.. There are a ton of postings re: 4000 series problems, albeit the factory is now admitting to them and making repairs. Did you check out a Kubota as well? I owned one of them and never had a problem. Good Luck! ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-11-29          21957

Mark--the TC40D is a lot more tractor in all aspects than a JD4400 and if it is only $1000 more, then it is also a better value. One small down side in favor of the 4400 is that it is possible to pull two pins and remove the bucket from the FEL and within three minutes add front forks and/or bale spike whereas removal of the bucket on the TC40D FEL would take some time and effort.

Mike S. ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
Stan_McC

2000-12-09          22288

Do these tractors articulate? I didn't know New Holland or John Deere made articulated compact tractors. Got any information on them? This is the articualted tractor section isn't it? ....

NH TC40D vs JD 4400

View my Photos
mark

2000-12-10          22320

Stan,
I posted my original message in the "articulated" catagory in error.

thanks,
Mark ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login