Go Bottom Go Bottom

Steiner and Ventrac Articulated 4WD Tractors

View my Photos
Jack in IL
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-15          1736

I am surprised to find little discussion related to Steiner articulated 4WD Turf Tractors and attachments. (Website http://steinerturf.com). It is manufactured in Dalton, OH, and has undergone several updates over the past 25 years. There is a new similar unit also now on the market--the Ventrac 4000. (Website http://venturepro.com). These tractors are miniaturized (20-25hp) versions of large agricultural center-articulated 4WD tractors. When equipped with front and rear dual wheels these units are capable of operation on steeper slopes than typical compacts, garden tractors, or turf mowers. They also can operate numerous attachments quickly coupled to the front. These units are rugged and often used by commercial groundscare professionals as well as by homeowners with difficult turf conditions. I am a very satisfied owner (Steiner) and would be pleased to respond to questions not covered in the Website listed above. I am not a dealer nor connected in any way with these companies. I also own a JD4100 and am delighted with both of my tractors. Each serves a different need.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Keith Boyd

1999-03-16          1746

Lucky you. ....

View my Photos
Will Mlott

1999-04-09          2633

Hey Keith I work as a groundsman at Alfred State College. We have 4 Steiners. One of which I run all summer mowing what should be called cliffs,(60 degree or better). I also recently purchased a 1985 for my landscape bussiness. The college has had a lot of trouble with the rear hydraulic pumps going bad on us. We get told that we aren't shifting both axles into the same range but I don't buy this as the problem. You don't rack up 500 or more hours with a machine and forget something like that. Heard anything about this or had any problems yourself? If not start whatching. Our 1997 just went down with this problem! Also a word of warning, a steiner will roll under the right circumstances, take this from someone who had it happen to him!! ....

View my Photos
Ricky

2000-01-19          12116

Have you tried the Ventrac 4000 with the 31 HP Vanguard it's a powerhouse also VERY stable on the hills even w/o duals ....

Link:   Ventrac

Picture Link
Articulated Tractors Steiner and Ventrac Articulated 4WD Tractors

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-02-18          12943

Hey guys when did ventrac go to 31 hp gas? I heard that ventrac was having some big problems with there diesel engines and alot of units were recalled, did you here this also? I tried out both and they both have very good climbing ability and the attachments on the steiner blow my mind. The ventrac scares me with only 6 quarts of oil in hydro pumps. This does not seem like enough. My local dealer sells steiner and they said steiner is coming out with yet another tractor with a dumpbed on back and most all attachments fit on front ....

View my Photos
ERNEST MATSON

2000-02-18          12950

I have been thinking about purchasing a steiner tractor model 420 or 430 . would it be better to go with a gas or diesel engine and would you recommend the dual wheels. where i will be mowing is rather steep 15-30% grade. any advice or comments would be appreciated. ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-02-19          12956

check out another unit called a power-trac. this is really a rugged unit. i have driven one and it too has an amazing number of attachments. one model is capable of mowing a 45 degree slope. just another option. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-02-19          12961

I have had 420s with the Onan engine and now have a 430 with the Kubota Gasoline engine. The Kubota Gasoline actually produces more power than the Kubota Diesels that Steiner uses which is why I made the choice. The Kubota Gasoline in current production is a 25 HP version whereas it was 22 on early production models. I have been informed by dealers that the diesel used in the 420s was very weak in comparison to the Onan. I think duals are essential for steep hill operations. I have many areas of slopes of 25 degrees (47% grade) and one area with a 30 degree slope (58% grade) that I mow very comfortably with duals. I only remove the duals for snowblade work in the winter. If your are operating a lot of other Diesel equipment, then that in itself might be a reason to get a Steiner 430 Diesel. Otherwise, I would recommend a 25 HP gasoline version. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-02-19          12962

The Ventrac Brochure I obtained at a Farm Show last September lists available engines as: Vanguard Gasoline at 31 HP, Vanguard Diesel at 26.5 HP, Kubota Gasoline at 23.8 HP, Vanguard Diesel at 23.6 HP, and Kawasaki Gasoline and 22 HP. The Mitsubishi Diesel is no longer on the list. ....

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-02-20          12988

I like the gas engines for the power but not the consumption of gas that it will burn. We had kohler 22's and 25's on the steiner and 4 hours tops with running wide open was all you could get off of 5 gallons of gas. The onan was about 4.5 hrs on a tank. Plus the diesel engine is 3,000 to 3,500.00 more. I don't see that much of a difference in power for the money. We have never used duals on the steiner unless we used our boom mower, it climbs anything you can walk up!!! I have not tried out the ventrac yet. This product is still to new and is hitting the market to fast. I'm also always looking for another steiner dead or alive. ....

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-02-20          12993

I have a 430 with 25hp Kohler and you are right about gas consumption.
Had trouble getting rpm's above 3200 but have finally gotten 3600-3700 which allows me to run a trencher at a steady 3500 - the extra 300/400 rpm's really make a difference. Has anyone else had trouble keeping the throttle linkage adjusted? The 25hp gas motor has plenty of power to run a 60" deck or trencher but you have to get those extra rpm's. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-02-20          12998

A 4WD articulated turf tractor such as a Steiner or Ventrac needs duals on steep slopes to prevent sideways overturns, not to merely increase traction. Duals are not needed when driving straight up or straight down steep slopes. If you have a level area at the top and bottom in which to execute your turns, you will get along fine. However, if you need to turn while on a slope greater than about 20 degrees or drive across the slope face, duals make these tractors very secure against overturns. Under certain conditions the tractor with duals may slide, but it is very stable with regard to overturning. I operate in many areas where there is no level area on which to turn so I use duals all the time except when plowing snow. ....

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-02-20          12999

Also, dual wheels are good when trenching - they will let you ride across wide holes where two trenches intersect. Sometimes a single wheel will fall in and the tractor will not pull itself out. They also help when mowing with the contour on hillsides - sometimes you have to slightly lift the mower with the front hitch because the mowers often dig in and you wind up pushing the mower into the ground. Lifting the mower slightly lets the machine run freely and the duals keep it from "crabbing" or trying to turn downhill due to the weight of the mower out in front. This way you are not constantly correcting the down hill tendency with the steering. Duals on an articulated frame do not destroy your turning radius the way they do with front or rear steering. ....

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-02-22          13092

hey did you all know that the new mower decks flip up now? There is a kit that you can get to make your md48",60",and 72" flip up. I think the part # is 70-144. We just did our two. Man what a difference. You can clean much better and take blades off much faster. Back to the duals, I'm not going to disagree with feeling safer on slopes but with 5' decks the duals hang out to much and taking mower out of float and lifting mower up just a little will do about the same job. Plus with 4 weights on rear helps. Also just seen the new 25th anniversity 430 with all the crome and man what a nice seat. I believe the guy at the PA sportsman show says it go's for about $1,000.00 more. ....

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-02-22          13093

The new flip up deck is a real blessing - you're right about that.
I got one with my 430 and the dealer didn't even know it. They sold me a new deck that shipped with the tractor and they still had some of the old style decks on hand. I'm sure the anniversary model is slick but I sure would rather have a better throttle setup. Wonder if they will ever be able to put a foot throttle on the 430 or a hand throttle on the back half of the machine. Just trenched 560 feet at full depth and pulling on the throttle becomes a real chore. If you tighten it too much, then you can't get it backed down or feathered in time if you hang a big rock. Any ideas about throttle set ups? ....

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-02-22          13094

you even get a nice new jacket from steiner when you buy the anniversity tractor it is black and gray and has 25th logo on breast. I dont think that steiner will ever have a foot petal on the 430's and I don't really think that controls by your side is the answer because, there is to many hoses that would have to come under center of tractor and then there is the heat factor of the hydralics. The answer is deal with it for now!! Keep plenty of grease on forward and reverse lever and keep gas lever snug. I bet your arm was alittle sore after all that trenching. Do you rent your big attachments or did you buy them? The power box rake works like a charm also. ....

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-02-22          13096

It does get a little tedious when trenching that long a run and your arm can get sore for sure. I have a 60" deck, trencher, slip scoop and 5' angle blade along with a front mount "A" frame trailer hitch that is great for jockeying several trailers around without having to hitch them to the truck. I've wondered about the power box rake and the auger - been told that both work well but haven't tried them yet. Have heard that the arm mower isn't worth having. Saw the new rough cut mower demo'd and wasn't too impressed. The knives seem too light and don't have enough momentum to really work like I think they should. Steiner sure is proud of the attachments - some of the prices seem way out of line for what you get. Would like to find a dealer that will discount some of their items. ....

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-02-24          13126

the boom mower has it's places and it works as good in ditches along roads or ponds with soft edges. If it only had a floating head and short hrdralic extention it would work alot better(around fences). I hear that bigger dealers discount there prices cause they have alot of bigger items to make better money. But I try to stay local cause if my local dealer finds out I bought some where else then I'll lose my discounts on parts and availability of going and just getting what attachments I need. Have not tried out rough cut yet but I heard that it leaves a strip of grass standing in the middle. Wow is that mower heavy I moved it to get the mans stump grinder two weeks ago. Did you hear that they came out with some cheap made attachments that they buy from someone else? Like a manure spreader and a cheap looking trailer and some other little things. Steiner 10 years ago had a very nice strong trailer that dumped and was very stable with a load. Uncle has one, looks like new. In the family I guess we have about 8 420's and 3 430's. The family has known the dealer for a long time. He is a small dealer and each year someone is looking to trade or buy a new one. This helps him order more tractors if he knows that he can unload a tractor to one of us. Also just had a uncle buy a john deere 755. Boy is he getting the shaft from us. Anytime he needs to do something though he gets my grandmothers 420 with the scoop. 48" slip scoops are out now with jack stands. ....

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-02-27          13191

What's the scoop with the new Steiner with the dump bed? Has anyone seen a picture of this??

I am getting ready to buy a Steiner or a Ventrac. Still trying to decide which to get? I feel like I will buy the tractor, and this will be the year that Steiner comes out with a killer tractor.

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-03-04          13453

Steiner is in the process of building this tractor it is called the utilimaster and it will have a 28hp diesel in it and the list price will be around 18,000. They were getting back on top of this project last week inside sources say. They had a tractor like this 10 years ago called the turfmaster ....

View my Photos
G in Ohio

2000-03-10          13649

The Ventrac 4000 oil reservoir is only in the front transaxle. Though the amount of fluid is limited to the capacity of one transaxle, it guarantees that a significant amount of the available oil won't get "lost" in the other transaxle. Hydrostatic transmission systems do not circulate a high volumn of oil through a reservoir. More crital than the volumn of the reservoir is the oil temperature. Each Ventrac 4000 has an oil cooler and uses synthetic oil.

Ventrac 4000s initially had an L3 Mitsubishi diesel engine option. The engine proved inadequate primarily because of the changes impacted by the emission laws. All 4000s built with this initial engine option were up graded by the factory, Venture Products Inc, to the 850D Vanguard/Diahatsu diesel. That engine plus the 950D, 26.5 HP and the 950G(gasoline), 31 HP are current engine options. See web site at www.venturepro.com

Note on the controls: Each Ventrac 4000 has a hand control that is located at the right side of the operator and doubles as the hitch lift by right or left movement. A foot pedal is an inexpensive option that can be added to any 4000. ....

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-04-05          14484

I wonder if anyone has used the foot pedal on the Ventrac 4000? It seems to me that this would free up the hand to work with just the implement attached up front, or the three point hitch? Has anyone used it? What did you think?

I also wonder if I could replace the forward/reverse with a joystick type of setup which would handle just the impleent up front. I then could use the foot pedal just for the movement. ....

View my Photos
BobA in Ohio

2000-08-02          18468

To pequeajim
I have the foot pedal on my unit. I don't use it much except when doing a lot of shuttling between locations with the slip scoop. The Hand control can be used to control the up and down movement of the front implement as well as forward and backward movement of the tractor all at the same time. This allows you to control how deep you are digging in with the scoop or blade without losing forward momentum just like a bulldozer. I usually run my unit with the control on the dash in the upmost position so that it is smoother on the hand control. I have actually dug a ditch with the scoop thanks to the down pressure of the hydraulics and being able to control it all with one hand. ....

View my Photos
Jim Hutchins

2000-08-21          19050

Is the operation of the ventrac easier with the hand control or foot control? I would think that you could get your foot pinched if tractor was rolling over rough ground with the foot control. Is the hand control on the ventrac everything you guys thought it was over the steiner? Have used edger for steiner in fair shape for sale. ....

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-08-21          19052

I like the hand control much more than the Steiner version as I have to lean forward a lot with the Steiner. The silly thing about a hand control is that both of your hands are busy all of the time. I miss the foot control on my Massey, but am very grateful for the maneuvrability (sp) of the Ventrac.

I would also be interested in your edger, email me at jlangley@worldhost.net ....

View my Photos
G in Ohio

2000-08-26          19139

Jim, the VENTRAC foot control is an option that becomes an addition to the standard "beside-the-seat" hand control. The hand control has a comfortable stroke range for which the operator can choose the "spring-assist-to-neutral" or "easy-shift" with no operational resistance except the shock absorber which reduces fast or jerky movement. The hand control also doubles as the control lever for the front hitch hydraulic lift. Right and left motion raises and lowers the hitch. The foot control can be added at anytime. It is especially recommended when the tractor has the rear 3-point hitch. It frees the right hand to operate the extra rear hitch lever. The foot pedal is completely in-board of the foot platform and has virtually no inteference potential. ....

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-08-26          19141

Thanks for the information. I don't know if I would like the foot pedal or not based on it's tight area of operation and the fact that I wear a size 14 shoe, but I would love to have foot control. My local Ventrac dealer, (Lawn Care of Pa.) has an older 4000 with a foot pedal on it. It will be going up for sale in the near future at an auction. I may see if I can borrow it and mount it on my tractor to give it a try and if I like it, I will buy a new one.

Are there any plans to re-design the dash? The location of the tach/hour meter is at best cumbersome and is the only thing that I do not like about the tractor. Although I am digitally oriented, there are some things that I think are better suited for analog displays, pressure being one, and rpms being the other. That is the most important gauge on the dash and it is stuck behind the steering column?

I would love to talk to someone and submit some ideas for a dash re-design. Let me say this. I would still love the tractor even if the tach was under the seat! The ergonomics just need to be cleaned up a bit here and there...

I would vote for a big analog tach with a dark grey or black background without 50 instructions written all over the place. Make the thing look user friendly, not like a piece of industrial machinery.

View my Photos
Bryan

2000-11-11          21402

Hey Turfman, where are you? Can you tell me anymore about the Power-Trac? Thank you. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-11-11          21410

Information on Power-Trac can be found on the website www.power-trac.com. Testimonials posted on that site seem to indicate that professional landscapers are usere of these products. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-11-11          21416

What are you planning to use the tractor for? That wouls be the first question that I would ask. I really am happy with the Ventrac and how it handles and mows. I think as the product matures you will see even more improvements that will make both it and Steiner better tractors. My best bet would be to stick with one of those. ....

View my Photos
Mike

2001-07-12          30030

I work at at a Steiner dealer. I read the post by Richard Harburn about the Kohler not reving up all the way. We had one do the same thing at the shop. After much testing we were nowhere. We sent the unit to a Gold level kohler dealer. They said the lifters were pumped up from running straight 30 weight oil. They fixed the engine and shipped the unit back to us. It did rev better.
The point I'm getting at is the fix may be as simple as using 10w30. I hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2001-07-13          30034

Thanks for your message. My situation was related to the complex throttle and governor linkage that is used with the Kohler engine. It is very difficult to adjust if you want that extra few rpm's. I can can get 3500 rpm with no trouble but an extra 200 to 300 rpm's really makes a difference when trenching. I have been using 10-30W oil since the machine was new. ....

View my Photos
Stan R.

2001-09-02          31524

About ventrac and steiner..I sold steiner for six years Along Troy Bilt and some other brands.Though ther was nothing like it.My helth got bad had to get out of business.After five years my wife found house she wanted with some land.I hard of ventrac.Like what I saw.Bought 3000 with 23 hp kaw.60" deck.Ilove it.Now there's nothing it.I want to get trencher.Thinging about selling it ang getting 31 hp for trencher.Mine lookS like new.Has 180 hrs on it. ....

View my Photos
Stan R.

2001-09-08          31677

I made mistake.I have model 4000 with 23hp.not 3000. ....

View my Photos
gchanb

2002-05-11          38479

I am looking seriously at a 220 with 20 hp Onan. What can you tell me about this machine. Will it handle a 20% slope safely. What else can I do with the machine beside mow. What is a fair price to pay. It has 100 hours on it but has spent most of its life sitting outside with nothing to do.

thanks,

gchanb ....

View my Photos
Mike Herman

2002-05-11          38506

A 220 will go anywhere it will ge traction. The front wheel base is very wide and the center of gravity is very low. It will take all the attachments that Steiner offers except a few such as the front end loader , the vertical auger and the boom mower. All Steiners have the same front hitch so any attachment will hook up to any Steiner except for the few listed above. The 220 will take the slip scoop which is a loader bucket that is used for transport and wont lift high enough to load into a truck. The Onan engine is fine for up to a 60" inch deck, it will run the 72" deck but you may have to slow down a bit. ....

View my Photos
doggman

2002-06-02          39243

Anyone have any problems with the rear steering on the 220 holding together?

Is the hydrostatic system on the 220 durable?

I have seen fuel feeding issues on the Onan engine. I am working to trying to figure if the tank is the problem or the in line fuel pump. Any experiences out there? ....

View my Photos
Mike Herman

2002-06-02          39258

Dear doggman:

I worked at a Steiner dealership for a while so I have seen a lot of them. I do now and will continue to own one. They are fantastic machines. I have a 420 4wd with a 25 horse Kohler. I bought mine in 97. I have moved mountains of dirt, I have rototilled everybody and their brothers garden, I grind tree stumps, I have a Harley rake and am landscaping my 5 acres and I mow lots and lots of grass for myself and many other people. I couldn't be happier with it.

You are right the 220 doesn't have the best traction in the world. I don't know if anybody showed you but they have a positraction pedal on the left floorboard. This helps but it is still just two wheel drive.The articulating tractor has much better traction and will climb a steep enough hill that the front wheels will come off the ground. (not recommended) They articulate in all directions so that all four wheels remain in contact with the ground all the time. There is virtually no wheel spin ever.

I don't know what kind of beating you are going to put yours through but I have never seen any thing go wrong with the steering. On real old high mileage ones that are very tired the heim joints will be loose but that is an extreme example. They just don't have problems if you keep things greased.

The Onan is an unbelievably durable engine. With proper care (notice that phrase, proper care) they will last just about forever. People don't know how to clean air filters or change oil. This is not the engines fault. There is a rubber gasket that seal the gap between the engine shroud and the filter, if this is left out the cooling air blows out around the filter and that side of the motor will over heat, then the valve seats fall out. This does not happen if the gasket is put back when changing oil. There is a screen on the flywheel where the cooling air is drawn in. The purpose of the screen is to keep grass out of the cooling fins. If this gets plugged up the engine will overheat. I don't want to scare you as these items apply to any air cooled engine. Working at a dealership you would be surprised at the things you see. The problem you are describing sound like a bad fuel pump or a partially clogged fuel filter. The pump should push fuel out when you take the line off and roll the motor.

The hydro systems are bulletproof. Change the oil and filter once in a while and you will be ok. On units with a zillion hours on them the hydro pressure gets low because things loosen up but this can be fixed fairly easy.

I don't understand your resistance to the articulated unit. At first they feel funny but you get used to it real fast and it is a non issue. What do you mean "this is all that it will do". The Steiner has 34 or so attachments. That is the beauty of it.They will do so many things.

Not having a dealer around does present a problem. All machines need parts to keep them going. They have a website, see if you can find a dealer in your area. I live in Medina, Ohio about 45 minutes from the factory. I have been there many times. They have a lot of good people willing to bend over backwards to help out.

The Grasshopper is a very nice unit BUT it will not climb hills any better than the Steiner and it only has 2 or 3 attachments so you are short changing yourself on versatility.

I hope this helps, e mail me if you have any questions
Mike ....

View my Photos
doggman

2002-08-22          41527

Dear Mike:

I ended up purchasing the Steiner 220. It feels like I am the only person out there that has one. But I sure do like the way that it mows. I am hoping that I can get a slip scoop for it and actually do some work?? I am also considering a snow blade. I am trying to avoid a snow blower because of the cost but I am also concerned about getting adequate traction to push the snow blade.

Do you have any more advise about the 220? Can I put chains on the tires of the 220?

Hoping I will not regret not getting the articulated model.

doggman ....

View my Photos
Mike

2002-08-22          41537

The Steiners have one of the nicest mower decks I have seen. They are built well and cut very nice. The roller leaves those fancy stripes. Your neighbors will think you are paying a landscaper to mow your grass for you.
The 220 will accept the scoop and the snow blade. You will probably need chains. Any mower shop can get them for you.
You have bought a very nice piece of equipment.
Have fun
Mike ....

View my Photos
doggman

2002-08-24          41572

The owners manual for the 220 indicates that loading the tires and chains are not OK for the Steiner. They do suggest wheel weights. I live in Vermont where we get alot of snow and ice. I would love to put chains on the 220 but I do not want to foul up the hydro? What is your experience?

The Onan seems particularly finicky on starting? Is this normal. Once it is running it seems fine though the slightest bit of choke left on drive it crazy.

I have a brand new MX460 deck that I am not going to use because I already have one. Do you have any suggestions about how to find a buyer or trade?

I there anyone out there who sells Steiner parts on the internet responsively and at a fair price. I am 30 miles for a dealer who has to order anything that I want.

thanks,

doggman ....

View my Photos
Mike

2002-08-25          41633

Mr. doggman,
You are not going to hurt the hydraulics with tire chains. If they become loose they will catch on something. With the strength of a hydrostatic drive something will break. It wont be the drive system. It will probably be a fender or something like that. We put them on lots of 220/230's.

Onans dont need much choke. Some engines have a provision for turning the choke partially off automaticaly. The Onans do not. It is like a choke on an old car. You have to know when enough becomes too much. If the engine doesnt start in a few turns I turn the choke all the way off. This usually clears out the excess fuel.

Mike ....

View my Photos
doggman

2002-08-26          41668

Dear Mike:

Thanks for the feedback on the 220 transmission. Based on your experience how would you set up the 220 for additional traction? I am expecially concerned about digging with the slip scoop and pushing snow with a blade? I do have some traction issues with mowing however I avoid these by mowing along the contour on the steeper slopes and then running back up the slope with the deck off the ground providing the necessary load on the tires and reduced requirments for pushing the mower. I am thinking some combination of wheel weights(I do not know what they weigh) and chains.

Do you have a recommnendation for what width slip scoop works best on a 220? I am assuming that the 48" or the 42" is the way to go. On one hand I like the sound of the 52" in that it is approaching the out to out of the 220 tires. Does that extra width end up being a problem for the 2 wheel drive 220?

Have you used either the 6' snow blade or the snow blower on the 220? What is your experience with moving snow with this machine? How is the Onan for starting in cold weather? Is there a way to pre-heat these? We have plenty of weather in the 0 degrees to 20 degrees range (it gets colder than 0 degrees for 1 or 2 weeks each winter).

Thanks,

doggman ....

View my Photos
Mike

2002-08-27          41705

Mr doggman
About all you can do is try to improve traction. Tire chains and
weights help but it is still only 2 wheel drive. The Onans always start
unless the battery is low or there is water or dirt in the fuel.
I dont know of a pre heater for this engine. If you have the unit in
a garage and have any type of heat at all it will always start. They
are not warm weather only engines. The only units that would not start
for me were the diesels, and only if the battery got low. If we put
a jumper on they would always start.
Mike ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login