Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
Dave A
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-08          47184

The right front wheel of my 87 Yanmar 226D has locked up. Before I dig in and take it apart I need to find a repair manual and a parts supplier. Tractor is in NH.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2003-01-08          47199

Dave, I just sent you an email with a few suggestions for parts and manuals. Let us know what the problem is. I've never had one lockup, so this isn't real common. Dave ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
GregB

2003-01-09          47218

Dave, this problem is very common to the Yanmar gray market tractors. You likely have damaged bearings and seals. Hopefully the damage is not too great as the "tower gear" arrangement of the Yanmar front axles has some axial and thrust needle bearings that can cause serious damage to other parts when they disintegrate. Don't ask me how I know - just take my word for it. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2003-01-09          47226

Greg, I sold nearly a hundred 4x4 grey market Yanmars last year and have had no such problems. Most of them were the newer YM's and F-series. I do buy only real nice stuff from Japan, so maybe I have just been lucky so far. I have had a number of the front ends apart fixing seals and I can agree with your assessment concerning the needle bearings. If they get loose in there, it could be bad news. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
GregB

2003-01-10          47282

Dave,
I have personally only seen one tractor this bad, but I have only seen about 16 imported Yanmar tractors total. The oldest being YM1500D's, the newest an FF205D. Many of them were not personally mine.

The YM1110D I almost have back together was pretty much a basket case. The engine needed some work as well.
Greg ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
peterv

2003-01-10          47306

Well, I rebuild a yanmar 226d front axle last year on a tractor I bought on E-bay. lots of parts and pieces in there, including, as mentioned before, a couple of needle bearings. more than likly one of those came appart and fell in the lower drive gears, jamming them. Good news, very sturdy design, I doubt thet it caused any damage.(but there might be other stuff wrong, why did this come appart??)
Parts readily available from Yanmar, prices not unreasonable.Get the partsbook and the maintenance manual, a great help with all those pieces and dimensions. Suggest while you are in there to replace all seals and any marginal looking bearings, for a couple of hunderd $$ it will be like new.

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
Dave A

2003-01-10          47307

Wow!!! You guys are great..Thanks for all the help...I've got the service manual and parts cotalog on their way. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
peterv

2003-01-10          47314

It looks like you are on the way to a succesfull tractor winter project:).Not a very hard to do, but can be a little tricky with all the bevel gears. I have some leftover parts from lastyears project, including some shims to get those bevel gears just right. let me know if I can help

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
Dave A

2003-05-28          55821

A few other projects took up my winter but I finally tok the right front of my 87 Yanmar 226d apart and all I found was the bushing and bearing that sits under the kingpin on top of the second shaft had come apart Everything else looks good...phew!!!.. I have a parts manaual. Where can I get these items? I can't read the numbers of the bearings but I have part numbers from the manual? WHile I'm in there I want to replace all the bearings. Any suggestions? Thanks! ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-28          55832

You should be able to match the bearing at a supply house even without the number off of it. They can mic it and get the number from the dimensions.
The bushing may need to come from Yanmar. You may be able to match it to a JD number also. Dave should know. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
jamtrac2003

2003-05-29          55915

DaveA, I have been a Yanmar Dealer for 30 years and have encountered this problem a few times. The top bearing is not sealed and does not get lubricated because it is above the level of the oil. We replace it with a sealed bearing. I can ship you the Service Manual and a sealed bearing (or 2 if you want to change the other side also).
Thanks, Gary J. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
Dave A

2003-05-29          55926

Thanks everyone. I have the bearing/bushings coming from L Scheafer. Already have the parts and service manual. After I make the fix I may have to replace this tractor w/ something bigger. I have a 25+ acre field that needs to be turned and set for hay. My 1987 Y226 w/ bucket and Yanmar Backhoe is in good shape other than this fix. Has 525 hours. Any Idea what it's worth? The tractor is in Central NH.
Again, thanks to all! ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-29          55927

If they are like the kingpins I've replaced on 60's trucks, the bushings need to be reamed to size. The rebuild kits came with a reamer that had a long shank to maintain alignment between the top and bottom bushings. The reamers were a bit special so it'd be good to know if reaming is required. Oh yes, at least on the trucks I did; forget about getting the pins our of the axle loops without a torch. A roll of safety wire was needed to put them back together. Just a few things that might be needed that might not be mentioned in a manual. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-01          56135

I'm a Yanmar dealer & can supply parts for your tractor. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
professor

2007-02-02          139470

Are you still a yanmar parts dealer? I am looking for a detailed manual to service the 226D engine and body. I especially am looking for the seal in the front gear box right behind the front wheel. Secondly the front of my driveshaft where it joints the differential has a smaller leak. Is there a bearing and seal for this as well?? Thanks. ....

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
professor

2007-02-02          139471

Are you still a yanmar parts dealer? I am looking for a detailed manual to service the 226D engine and body. I especially am looking for the seal in the front gear box right behind the front wheel. Secondly the front of my driveshaft where it joints the differential has a smaller leak. Is there a bearing and seal for this as well?? Thanks.

Yanmar 226D 4wd Problems

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-09-26          146107

My 226D was an export model (like virtually all three-digit yannies), so I'd be surprised if yours is a grey.

People with 4WD who don't want front-end failures should always keep it in 2 unless the surface is allowing slippage. Reserve 4 for when you need it (unless there's a F/R differential, which I've not seen on a yannie). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login