Help Victim of JD Stick Shock: Yanmar Tractors  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Help Victim of JD Stick Shock: Yanmar Tractors -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Yanmar Tractors Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-30-2001, 17:50 Post: 26115
Don M

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Help Victim of JD Stick Shock

I just cannot bring myself to buy a JD or Kubota compact tractor. I know they are great machines, but the price.... yikes.I am a private landowner. I want a compact tractor for occasional loader use, pushing snow, pulling a 72" 3pt finish mower, and some other 3pt uses now and then. What can I look at in a used Yanmar 4wd that would fit this bill? And how much should I expect to spend? Thanks.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-31-2001, 05:55 Post: 26127
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Dealer and parts support are two of the reasons why people are willing to pay a premium for one of the big three. In addition, new and used prices are high because compacts are in demand and also are in short production runs (at least compared to cars and trucks). Once you step outside of the big three orbit, you accept some risk and also the potential need to turn yourself into an expert mechanic or parts guy. A decent used Yanmar might save some money and last forever in occasional light use, but there are risks and it's still not going to be cheap. There are some other well regarded gray market Japanese compacts as well. Chinese tractors are much cheaper but generally are not as well regarded. Who knows one could last indefinitely in light occasional use. I think if you're considering something other than NH, JD or KU, or one of the brands now supported by those dealers, then you should be capable of doing major maintenance on the tractor, have acquired a repair manual and have identified a secure source of parts. An alternative might be to talk to a local dealer and see what they are willing to work on.

03-31-2001, 06:38 Post: 26129
Don M

Filter by User

(My original post should have been "sticker shock". Must have been the keyboard, yeah, that's it). Tom, your point is good and well taken. I just "know" in my heart that these compacts from the big 3 are overpriced for me, since any one I buy will only be lightly used by me. But the parts/service issue is a concern. I see there are some Yanmar dealers around who support these tractors. I have noticed there is one about an hour from me but I haven't spoken to him yet. I dunno. Decisions decsions. Smile

03-31-2001, 06:55 Post: 26130
Ted Kennedy

Filter by User

Don, check out Cub Cadet. Their line of Mitsubishi tractors are well made and represent an excellent value for the dollar. Parts are plentiful and as for dealerships, like anything else, its the luck of the draw. One Cub dealer I used to do business with was the pits, the one I go to now is excellent. I am amused when only the "big three" enter into the conversation, IMHO there is nothing wrong with Yanmar (except for some dorky styling), or Cub Cadet, or Steiner, or MF, so long as they are North American market units. Judging from the continuous problems associated with JD and the remaining two of the "big 3", posted on this board and elsewhere, I'd say no one today is perfect.

03-31-2001, 07:05 Post: 26131
Don M

Filter by User

Ted, there is a Cub dealer in a tiny village just 10 minutes from me. My brother bought a garden tractor there. I guess I just assumed their compacts were as pricey as the others. What model do you have experience with?
Thanks.

03-31-2001, 08:46 Post: 26134
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Don not really sure what size you are lookin for. An excellent site is ackerman he has a post here somewhere under Jim about an auction. He has prices and many used units. That should get you a feel for the market in used tractors. I'm thinking a used tractor is fine if the size is right. I bought a little 1982 Ford 1500 4X4 used in 87 gave 5000 just traded on a new one and got 6500 for trade. It was garage kept and well maintained also well used by me. These little snots hold their value over time. If your age is not a concern I would not hesitate to buy a name brand. Me thinks Art can verify tractors holding their value over time. Yup I do not expect to get my new price back any time before 10 years, but then again this one should take me to the end...

03-31-2001, 09:44 Post: 26135
PJDrew

Filter by User

Don,
I echo everything said here. I had grey compact for 5 years and now have a Cub 7275. I think if you look for late model used compact(JD, Kubota, Cub, NH, etc) you'll be the most satisfied. New are a little pricey, however there are excellent used models out there if you look and I think the best bet. A tractor with a few hundred hours is just getting broke in. (A lot of these tractors are babied- kept in the garage, washed, waxed and maintained!) A good used tractor will hold its value well and if you get something built in the last 5 years you can get hydro(Once you go hydro you'll never go backSmile, PS, 4x4, ROPS and a tractor that is just down right fun to use. I chose a Cub because they are less popular in my area and I just got way more tractor for my money than a comparable JD or Kubota.
My dealer is the also a significant reason for buying the Cub. He's great. But depends where you live. My brothers farm and have John Deere's, (which are excellent tractors as well) but they bought them because the dealer is so good.
(You think compacts are high priced, look at the big boys for fun and that will give you a real case of sticker shock.)
Nothing is perfect and if you have a problem you want to be able to take your tractor to someone who knows what they are doing and is fair.
Regards, PJ Drew

03-31-2001, 22:59 Post: 26144
JonB

Don, one advantage to the big three is the availability of more dealers. I loved my JD dealer, but he closed shop. But I had a choice of 5 more dealers, all within an hour, and my choice filled the gap with even better service (parts was never a question). I don't think I'd have had the same result with Yanmar, or even Cub (in my neck of the woods). Compacts are definitely expensive, but then they perform beyond expectations in most cases. Best of luck. JonB

03-31-2001, 23:13 Post: 26145
KlayW in MI

Perspective, try this one. Go price a big garden tractor, read "big lawn mower" then realize you get soooo much more for just a little more in a compact. More weight, power, 3pt, diesel (usually), more types styles of attachments, etc. Try selling a lawn mower 10 years from now for nearly what you paid for it!

04-01-2001, 06:38 Post: 26150
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

It wasn't my intention to limit the idea of quality to what I called the big three. There are other fine tractors in North America and elsewhere. The big three seems to me to be an economic reality rather than a quality measure. Much like North American auto manufacturers where countless fine cars were gobbled up and digested in the making of the big three. Eventually, several independent manufacturers of decent cars also couldn't survive. There's a premium to be paid for buying from one a tractor from the big three, but that premium doesn't necessarily buy more quality. Whether or not paying the premium makes sense depends on a bunch of things like whether a person thinks they're going to move within the next 20 years. With the big three, no matter where you move, there's probably a dealer somewhere nearby. Actually, I guess I'm out of the big three since I have a Ford tractor. The company has gone from 'Ford/New Holland' to simply New Holland'. I don't imagine there's any particular fondness for Fords in the new company. The main reason to keep supporting the old Fords is that the owners might eventually buy Boomers. I guess that support could end tomorrow with a simple speech by a Board member that talked about 'responsibility' to share holders' and need to maintain 'the bottom line'. That's not a real comforting idea for me. Ford is a quality tractor, but quality doesn't necessarily survive economic realities. I always sort of liked 55 and later Steudebakers too, but I'm happy I didn't buy one and plan to use it for regular transportation for a long time.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Yanmar Tractors Forum

Thread 26115 Filter by Poster:
Chief 1 | Don M 4 | edward_dugas 1 | gauthier 1 | harvey 1 | JonB 1 | KlayW in MI 1 | kwschumm 2 | lsheaffer 1 | PJDrew 2 | RCH 1 | Roger L. 1 | Ted Kennedy 2 | TomG 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Yanmar 1500 how to operate
+ What are wet disk brakes?
+ Yanmar 187D information
+ YM 1500 transmission fluid change
+ Yanmar 1500 Diesel Tractor
+ yanmar 1500D overheating
+ Roger,-Whats-so-great-about-Yanmar-336D-?
+ Top 5 things to do when bringing home a new tracto
+ Yanmar 155d
+ yanmar 155d

Most Discussion

+ Yanmar 1500 how to operate
+ No more parts for Yanmars?
+ No More Parts for Yanmars -- P
+ Oil filter
+ Feeding Deer
+ engine compression
+ Yanmar 1500D 4 wheel drive doe
+ Top 5 things to do when bringi