Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Mike Norton
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-25          19121

I just bought a Yanmar 187D used. I took delivery a couple of days ago. My question is that I looked at the serial number plate and it says the model number is a "YM180". I know that in previous years the 187D was the 186D, and before that it was the 180D, is there a chance that they never formally changed the model number of the serial number plates? Or is there something funny going on?Also the serial number plate indicates the weight at 4,150 pounds. Can that be right? Any help or info would be appreciated.Thanks,Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-25          19124

Not sure what you have. How does it run? That's the important thing! The 180D was a collar shift 4+R manual transmission with high/low range lever. The 187D was a power shift with a lever on the dash to select 1,2,3,R in any of 3 ranges. So was the 186D, I think.....not sure of the difference between the 186 and 187. All three tractors used the 3T72 engine which is identified by a tag on the right (starter side) of the engine block. It says engine type, HP at RPM, displacement in liters, and engine serial number. Nothing on the tractor from Yanmar ever listed a weight. The transmission and engine tag are your best identifiers.

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Mike Norton

2000-08-26          19137

Thanks for your reply. The tractor runs great. It does have the Power Shift transmission (1,2,3, & Reverse on dash with 3 ranges), so it must be a 187D, and Yanmar obviously never formally chnaged the model number on the serial number plate. But the serial number plate does make mention of weight and it specifies 4,150, I don't know if that is the tractor weight?, Towing Capability?, GRoss weight with trailer?, etc.

Also does any one know what years the 187D was manufactured?

Thanks,

Mike ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-26          19143

Mike, I think I have it figured out - at least on the model type. The 187D had ROPS and the power shifter mounted on the dash. The 186D did not come with ROPS as standard equipment and the one picture I have shows the power shifter on the floor. This doesn't jibe completely with my memory, but is the best I can do. I do know that power steering was an option for about $1000 for the 186/7 series and components for it are still available.
As for the tag, that has me puzzled. Where is that tag located on the tractor? Could you send a picture? ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Mike Norton

2000-08-31          19339

Roger,

What's ROPS? As far as the rest of it, you're right. The tractor does have an emblem that says 187D. I don't know why the serial number plate indicates the model as a YM 180.

Thanks,

Mike ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-31          19347

Mike, ROPS=Roll Over Protection System (or Protective Structure), i.e., roll bar. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-31          19350

I talked to a Yanmar tech. person about the difference between the ym186 & ym187. The ym187 has an improved transmission & a longer wheelbase, so a belly mower could be lifted higher. The ym186 belly mower couldn't raise very high due to the short wheelbase. At times it would get hung up on uneven ground. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-31          19352

OK, with Len's new clue I went back to my ol' Yanmar literature and found some interesting things. Yes, the 187 does have a longer wheelbase, almost 10% longer. And the transmission shifter is moved the traditional position to the dash.
Mike, the 186 used the 3T72HA engine while the 180 and the 187 shared the 3T72HAN engine. (the engine number has meaning. It is a 3 cylinder tractor engine with a 72mm bore. "H,A, and "N" means some minor modification to the basic design.) So it would mean nothing for a 187 to have the engine with a 180 tag.....they are identical.
The YM187D does weigh more than the YM186D...1658 vs 1344 lbs. - which is sort of hard to believe. And the 3 pt hitch is rated at 1036 lbs vs 661.
In case you are wondering, that YM186D was the tractor that I lusted after some 20 years ago....It was just slightly beyond my finances - which is how I ended up with the YM165D - and why I still have some old YM180/186/187 brochures. The YM165D turned out to be a fine machine, and led me to all sorts of interesting times with compacts.

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Mike Norton

2000-09-01          19369

Roger,

Id there anyway I could get that YM 180/186/187 brochure from you? Please let me know.
Thanks,

Mike ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-01          19370

What?! And lose my position as a guru of rare and hardly known US Yanmar information? Not a chance! :-) So I'll make you an even better deal. ... This brochure is an advertising sheet, so the copyright is designed for distribution....Why don't I just scan it for you and send you a copy via email? How about it? Ready for a 4 meg download?? By the way, if you have the accessory power steering, I have info on it as well. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
ristni

2009-06-22          163557

Is there any chance I could get the power steering information from you? My brothers 187d is currently experiencing some power steering problems and we can't find any info on this setup!

Thanks ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-23          163578

What's his PS problem? I have the factory parts/owner's manual for the "YPS 226" (the add-on PS for my 226, likely similar). ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
ristni

2009-06-23          163579

The power steering just quits working, but sometimes if you crank the wheel to one side or the other and hold it there, then it will work again for a short time. We found a small leak in the pressure line going to the cylinder and fixed that but it made no difference. It seems like an air problem to me but we were hoping to find a drawing or schematic of the system to gain a better understanding of how it works. Thanks again! ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-06-28          163681

If you can confirm that mine works similarly to yours and give your email address, I'll send you the pages that look helpful. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
bentbreeze

2010-10-20          174687

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 163578
What's his PS problem? I have the factory parts/owner's manual for the "YPS 226" (the add-on PS for my 226, likely similar).

Could you please send me the drawings from the manual? My neighbor's power steering went out and I plan to try to repair it for him if it's within my capabilities. The cylinder has had hose clamps on it since he got the tractor several years ago, but the power steering stopped working last fall. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
winston1

2010-10-21          174693

I didn't open this old thread but since it is I have a comment. Mike Nortons tractor weight of 4150 ? is probably kilograms which would translate to 1886.4 lbs. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-21          174694

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1 | view 174693
I didn't open this old thread but since it is I have a comment. Mike Nortons tractor weight of 4150 ? is probably kilograms which would translate to 1886.4 lbs.

I think you have that backwards Winston.

One kilogram is 2.2 pounds, so 4150 kilograms would be 9,130 pounds.

I suspect the weight reference is to a gross weight rating for that chassis.

Best of luck. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
winston1

2010-10-21          174696

I think you are right Murf, the older I get the more mistakes I make. Thanks for pointing this out. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-21          174701

I make my share of silly mistakes too, you're not cornering the market on it yet.

As for the getting older part, it's a fact of life brother.

As my grandfather said when asked "What's it like to be that old?" at his 100th birthday party;

"Getting old isn't much fun, but sure beats the alternative!"

Best of luck.

PS, Welcome to the forum!! ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
washinj

2015-03-03          192257

Roger L. this is washinj,I just bought a ym187.If possible I would like that info.also. ....

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2015-03-03          192259

Thanks for reaching out to Roger Loving. He was one of the great experts in the early days of Tractorpoint with thousands of informative posts. He really knew so much about tractors!

He is still with us in spirit as his last post was over 12 years ago, though I would love to be surprised with a post by him saying the rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated :-)

Lets hope someone other than Roger has some info on the Yanmar 187D Tractor

Yanmar 187D information

View my Photos
bmaverick

2015-03-15          192345

Some info around the web ...

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/3/1/7312-yanmar-ym187.html

Yanmar YM187 YM187D TRACTOR SERVICE SHOP REPAIR MANUAL GUIDE PART # SME1870-8409 ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login