Go Bottom Go Bottom

240D Yanmar Rear Axle Locking Up

View my Photos
Bascojo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-09          186622

Was doing some plowing with a small 4 ft. cultivator/chipper and felt a pop in the rear end of my 240D Yanmar. Now when I go forward or backwards either rearwheel will lock up (Not at the same time) at a certain point. It may or may not do it at all but when the rear axle does lock up on either side it is always at the same point because I have marked the tire tread and it always locks up in the same position. Sometimes it jerks and will not lock up. Any Comments on this problem would be deeply appreciated. Thank..Joseph

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-09          186624

The good news is that for this export model, there are Service and Parts manuals available, if you can find a dealer with stock.

The bad is that I doubt there are many 240s in salvage yards from which you could get a replacement diff.

The maybe is that there may be more common models that use the same parts.

And the cross-your-fingers is to make sure the diff-lock is not engaged. ....

View my Photos
Bascojo

2013-04-09          186625

Thanks auerbach, I'll check the diff lock and I do in fact have Manuals both parts and service for this machine but as you probably know already they are very limited on troobleshooting Info when it comes to the problem I'm facing, lol. I may have to put it under and do a major exploritory...yuck!! Thanks again

View my Photos
46bugs
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-09          186626

Yarmar is the owner of JOHN DEERE if you can find a deere the same size they have the same parts..

I have a 230 M-F gas 39 H.P with 1020 Hours 6 speed 2 reverse. new rubber with a 5 foot bush hogg for sale $8250.00 for both and they won't break.

Also a 2360 long Diesel 45 H.p.with 495 Hours power ,2 wet lines new rubber 2001 model. runs very good and looks new same as the massey-ferguson.Long will be $8,000.00 cash.I'm In Tennessee,if you want a bush-hogg 5 foot that will be $500.00 cash

View my Photos
greg_g

2013-04-09          186627

You've broken a component of the differential lock. Possibly just a dog, but there's no way to order parts till you tear into it. No guarantees, but the YM240 is cousin to the John Deere 850

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2013-04-09          186628

Bugs, the last time I looked JD (technically "Deere and Company") was doing just fine at its Illinois complex. During the 80s, it contracted to buy both diesel engines and complete green-painted compact tractors from Yanmar, which delivered some 100,000 of them.

Yanmar also contracted ('06 to '11) with MTD on a Cub Cadet deal but I don't know of any of the three taking over each other -- though admittedly these firms don't tell me everything they're up to. ....

View my Photos
Bascojo

2013-04-09          186629

greg_g, thats kinda what I was thinking. I'll get her tore down abit and see how bad it is. Thanks again I'll post what I find. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-04-09          186632

You are 100% sure the differential lock is released, right? ....

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-04-09          186635

Better dig deeper because yarmar did buy John Deere and i owned a 1050 John Deere and yarmar was all over the engine,tranny,and rear end.
The big tractor still may be made by Deere but the same ones are yarmar,with green color and a yellow seat ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2013-04-09          186636

It sounds like something is stuck in a gear. I have several YM240 parts tractors, plus new parts may also be available. I'm an authorized Yanmar dealer. Let me know what you need. ....

View my Photos
Bascojo

2013-04-10          186637

Thanks Isheaffer, I may be contacting you. I'm going to did into it next week. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-04-10          186639

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46bugs | view 186635
Better dig deeper because yarmar did buy John Deere and i owned a 1050 John Deere and yarmar was all over the engine,tranny,and rear end.The big tractor still may be made by Deere but the same ones are yarmar,with green color and a yellow seat

No need to to dig deep at all. Deere & Company is a publicly traded company, it is traded under the symbol "DE" on the New York Stock Exchange. It has a little over 389 million shares out there.

Yanmar did not buy them. Deere bought them, or at least their tractors.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-04-10          186640

Greg is correct on this one.

As memory serves me..........and please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Kubota was the first company to offer compact tractors on a large scale here in the U.S. In order to compete with Kubota for a share of the market, John Deere and other tractor manufacturers looked for similar companies that offered competing models.

John Deere teamed up with Yanmar to offer compact tractors that would be sold under the John Deere brand, in an effort to reclaim some of Kubota's market share.

Recently Yanmar and Cub Cadet teamed up to offer new Yanmar models that would be sold under the Cub Cadet brand name.

Kioti tractors are now being sold under the Bobcat brand name.......but this is a different story completely, as Bobcat was actually purchased by the South Korean Company, Doosan........makers of the Kioti line.

New Holland tractors are manufactured by a European joint venture project.

Ford tractors were produced by Mitsubishi.

Hope I have that right..????

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-04-10          186642

Joel, a couple of minor corrections, as far I know anyways.

First, Yanmar did as you said, but 2 years ago took over the "Cub Cadet" brand as fa as compact tractors, they are sold directly by Yanmar USA now.

Second, Bobcat (owned now by Doosan) buys rebadged Kioti's and sells them as "Bobcat" CUT's, just as Yanmar did with JD.

Finally, New Holland is owned by Fiat Industrial, it's one of their divisions that now makes the NH compacts.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-04-14          186700

Murf,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought that the New Holland line was a European Union job, but it's Fiat.

I do have a question though..........since Yanmar is now associated with Cub Cadet, which company is now producing the "Series 1" subcompacts for John Deere? Anybody know?

Joel ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2013-04-15          186708

Yanmar is not associated with Cub Cadet any more. Yanmar is marketing under their own name. ....

View my Photos
Bascojo

2013-04-30          186839

Finally tore into my YM240d. Yikes...tore a big chunk of teeth out of the RH Funal Drive Gear and totally removed all teeth on the gear just forward of that one, I believe to be the stub shaft for the brakes if I am looking at my manual corectly. Too Bad, this Tractor runs very good and it will probably end up costing more to replace the rear axle than to go ahead and try to locate another small tractor with a loader, Hope not everything on this thing works like new. If anyone has any input on where I should try and price parts out please let me know. I've been on the net looking and what few prices and parts I find available put me into cardiac arrest, lol. I won't even talk about JD 550 part prices..WOW!! I posted a compiled photo in my albums. Don't look if you have a weak stomach. ....

View my Photos
winston1

2013-04-30          186840

I guess it is just my computer but when I go to your pictures the only one I can enlarge is the "great pumpkin".

Probably checked with them but Hoye shows they got in a 240 parts tractor back in November. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-05-01          186845

It is not just your computer. It seems his other pictures will not open for some reason. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login