Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar ym 220 shutting down once warmed up

View my Photos
lnghrnz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-07-16          184292

Hey all - what will cause this tractor to shut down once warm. only 400 hrs. Changed all the hoses - fuel and bleeds. New banjo bolt and fuel filter assembly.Have changed all the fluids,flushed the radiator, flushed fuel tank. Will crank cold and get up to maximum rpm (2600)and then as machine warms up will slowly slow down and die. It will crank up again but only at about 1500 rpm and then die again. No restrictions in exhaust or intake. Have pulled and reshimmed injector pump. I get no reading on my inst. panel for the oil and water (from mice under hood). Will a temp sensor shut the engine down. My next move is to repalce the thermostat however temp only gets to about 155 degress when it shuts down . Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
winston1

2012-07-17          184297

Have you tried loosening the fuel cap. Sounds like fuel starvation. ....

View my Photos
lnghrnz

2012-07-17          184298

Yep - did that too. I'll keep tinkering with it. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-07-17          184304

Have you verified there's actually an output from the lift pump? Cuz what it sounds like is no pressure to the filter. When you shut down the tractor, gravity eventually fills the fuel filter. Then you start the engine, and run on the fuel in the filter housing. Ordinarily it's the lift pumps job to keep the housing full. But if the lift pump is shot, the engine dies as soon as it consumes whatever fuel was in the filter housing.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
lnghrnz

2012-07-17          184308

Fuel filter is gravity feed from the gas tank above it - no lift pump. Gravity feed all the way to injector pump. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-07-18          184319

Been too long since I got rid of my YM240, so I can't verify. But the next 4 tractors after that all had the lift pump incorporated with the injection pump. IE: a low pressure side (lift pump) and a high pressure side (to the fuel inectors).

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-07-18          184325

I'm not aware of a temp cutout but don't know that model.

I assume that when it starts slowing down, you use the hand and foot throttles to try to keep it going. If so, and the throttle linkage is healthy (connected, lubricated, adjusted), I'd continue troubleshooting the fuel system, but the closer to the engine the more you have to know what you're doing.

You have an export model for which a factory Service Manual in English was available, if you can find a dealer with stock. Or maybe there's a manual for a similar model. ....

View my Photos
lnghrnz

2012-07-18          184332

Wonder if my fuel line size is sufficient - the i.d. anyway. Fuel flow looks sufficient to the injector pump inlet.

I understand the lift pump idea now. But why would it run well or great at startup and then fade after awhile.

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-07-19          184336

Well, I can't speak for your 220. But the more recent fuel systems I've worked on use the lift pump to push fuel through the filter and into the high pressure side of the IP. In those cases, a weak or failing lift pump can't replenish the fuel filter housing as fast as the engine consumes the fuel. Now the tractor sits cuz it won't start. But while sitting, gravity slowly tops up the fuel filter housing. The cycle starts over.

Next time it quits running, jump right down and remove the fuel filter. See how much is inside. If it's still full, at least we're able to scratch the lift pump off the list.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
winston1

2012-07-19          184344

How about using a funnel and a short hose and rig up a temporary supply going straight into the injector pump. That should eliminate any possible problems before the injector pump. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login