Go Bottom Go Bottom

Installing Compact Tractor Tire Chains

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-11-30          181424

Anybody got a good technique or tool to help install tire chains?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-01          181433

I have not had to use chains since I sold my 2WD Wheelhorse and bought a 4WD Compact Tractor. On the Wheelhorse I always jacked up one wheel at a time draped the chains over the wheel, got as much slack out as possible, then attached Truck rubber band chain tensioners to make it tight. Had to wrap up the slack piece so it did not whip around hitting the fender. Really glad I don't have to use them anymore as occasionally they would shift during the season and have to be reset. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-12-01          181434

I use an old idea I learned a young boy on the farm.

It requires really only a single 2' x 8" plank. Cut it into two 4' long pieces, then cut one piece into blocks about 2" shorter than the space between the cross-chains. Now screw the blocks, two high, onto the 4' plank such that the chains can lay along it with the cross-chains laying in the gaps between pairs of blocks.

Now all you have to is drive up onto the whole thing like car ramps. The tires ride up onto the pairs of blocks and the chains are free since they're in the little grooves between the blocks.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-01          181438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 181434
I use an old idea I learned a young boy on the farm. It requires really only a single 2' x 8" plank. Cutit into two 4' long pieces, then cut one piece into blocks about 2" shorter than the space between the cross-chains. Now screw the blocks, two high, onto the 4' plank such that the chains can lay along it with the cross-chains laying in the gaps between pairs of blocks. Now all you have to is drive up onto the whole thing like car ramps. The tires ride up onto the pairs of blocks and the chains are free since they're in the little grooves between the blocks.Best of luck.

Murf you need to patent and then sell to Ice Road Truckers. ....

View my Photos
earthwks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-12-01          181439

Murf am I missing something: "cut a 2'x8" plank into two 4' planks"? Is this new math or... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-12-01          181442

Must be a problem with math........

Up here a 'plank' is an 8' long board and cutting it half gives 2 pieces 4' long.

Is things so tough down there near De-twoit that you don't even get a pair of 4 footers when you cut an 8 footer in half anymore?

That 'splains why you couldn't make it Kenny's for Thanksgiving this year.

Best of luck ole buddy.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-12-01          181446

Murf, you typed 2' x 8" plank. Even with your skill it would be hard to cut an 8" plank in half and get two 4' pieces :) ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-02          181449

Murf,

I was tempted to edit your post on the dimensions, and then I thought... Murf probably has this one covered LOL !

Whenever I post something I always think that EW is going to catch a spelling or grammatical error! Which is a good thing....

EW is really a college professor that doesn't like being cooped up in a classroom... he is doing excavating just to get outside a bit!

Dennis

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-02          181451

Really Murf did that for my benefit. Gave some fresh meat to ole Jeff other than my mistakes. Thanks Murf.

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-02          181452

The real sad part of this is that was a typo for Murf but Washington would believe it was possible. Collect 1 dollar and you can spend 8. bout their math. "Jeff for president"!

I would vote for him. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login