Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar Tractor FEL Controller replacement

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-27          180599

Before I ordered a FEL for my Yanmar in 1980, the dealer let me test some other brand. The tester's single joystick let me operate two FEL functions simultaneously (raise-and-dump or lower-and-curl). When they installed the loader on my Yanmar, the one stick could operate only one function at a time.

My controller is due for a replacement. The dealer wants the better part of a thousand bucks for one that will do what I want. The local tractor/hydraulics store has one with 2 spools and TWO sticks, which would let me do two functions together ($180). Or a single-stick one-function-at-a-time one like my original ($275). They say that what I want (one stick that can do two functions together) is rare and costly.

Anyone know better?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-27          180604

The difference is relatively simple, if you need to operate 2 functions at the same time you need a cable operated valve, the kind they use if you have a cab and need to 'remotely' operate the valve located outside the cab by a control lever on the inside.

The difference is the cables (2 push-pull cables) run a pair of two-way valves instead of a single four-way valve. This allows you to activate both valves at the same time.

Best of luck.

The cables run ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-09-28          180615

Thanks, Murph. Does your explanation fit with my loaner experience from 1980? I don't remember the brand (Kubota? NH?) but it was like the Yanmar (compact, no cab), and moving its stick diagonally operated both adjacent functions. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-28          180618

Ok, upon re-reading my post, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

You can get single lever valves that will allow proportional use of both spools at the same time, but most of them are a bunch more money than what you will want to spend, i.e. your $1,000 quote.

Most of the 'factory' loaders are equipped with this type of valve.

The type I was referring to are about 1/4 of that cost.

There are however some middle ground models, one from our local supply house is shown below.

Best of luck.

Link:   Loader Valve.

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-09-28          180620

You always come through. This is what I was seeking. Ironically, I asked the Princess hydraulics guy what they had, and he didn't suggest that "special order" one.

He did confirm I want open center (not that I know what that is). The 3,000 PSI capacity exceeds what I'll have. Its max flow is 11 GPM; my pump puts out half that. And I guess I set the relief valve pressure. That all sound good?

What does "Ports: #8 ORB" mean?

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-28          180630

Thanks, I do what I can.

"ORB" refers to the style of hose fitting it takes, it stands for "O-Ring Boss" which is a threaded fitting with a tapered face that meets (and seals against) an O-Ring.

"Open Center" or "Closed Center" refer to the style of hydraulic system itself. In an Open Center (as the name suggests) the pump output goes directly back to the reservoir if not used by something beforehand. In a Closed Center system the valve blocks all flow until the valve is moved.

If you put a Closed Center valve in an Open Center system at the very least you will stop almost all hydraulic function. In a worst case it wrecks stuff.

Yes, the relief valve is usually stated as "set at X from factory, adjustable between Y & Z"

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login