Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 165d snow blower attachment

View my Photos
thegogetter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-22          176964

Hey guys, new to the board here and very new to tractor life. I just purchased 13 acres with a home that sits 650' back from the main road.

The 2.5 acres of lawn haven't been mowed in over 2 years and the land is VERY wet and needs help... dead and fallen trees galore!

To address theses issues, I've just purchased a Yanmar 165d thats in great shape. I plan on brush hog'n the lawn area hard then start pulling the dead and fallen trees out to chip, cut, or burn. To deal with the snow issue... I'm hoping I can eventually buy a front mount snow blower attachment. This is not a critical option, but might come in handy down the road. Is this possible? any ideas where I could pick one up or what to search for to find one?

UPDATE *** Scratch the front mount snow blower... the 165d's only come with a rear pto. Thinking I'll fab a nice front plow with a rear snowblower system to deal with snow. I'll probably spend half as much with these 2 items then with a single front snowblower assembly, but I guess we'll see : )

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
winston1

2011-02-23          176970

Do you have a mid mount pto? ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-23          176974

Yes, thanks and sorry for the lack of clarity : ) The 165d does have a mid mount PTO and rear Cat 1 3pt.

UPDATE *** Ah ha! Upon bringing her home and closer inspection, it ONLY has a rear PTO!!! The mower deck is a knuckle style wrapping around from the back PTO to the belly. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-23          176976

Welcome to the board. There are Yanmar-specific ones, but for the all-topics type, I find this one's the best.

Snow throwers that mount on the rear hitch are standardized and easy to source because any tractor dealer has or can get them, and some are also sold privately. As long as the size is "Category I," it will fit. The same goes for other rear attachments including mowers. But, of course, you have to work the snow in reverse.

Front ones are basically designed for individual tractor models, so unless you have a very popular recent tractor, it will take some hunting. They're not cheap to ship, so I suggest you google "Yanmar dealers" and start with the nearest ones to ask.

The 165 was designed for export to North America, so Yanmar supports it. That importantly means you can get factory manuals in English. An authorized dealer can get the Operators (came free with new tractor), Service, and Parts. The latter two are 3-ring, 2" thick, well under $100. If you get the Service you won't need the Operators. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-23          176977

Thanks, will do. I actually have all the original binder it came with. Unfortunately, there aren't too many Yanmar "dealers" around these parts... I'll see what I can find and post the results.

Anyone else, feel free to update me on whats available or any questions or comments regarding the 165d.

very cool! ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-23          176978

Jamieson Tractor is in your state. Gary J. ships parts and emails excellent advice. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2011-02-27          177063

i have manuals for all the Yanmar snowblowers. New ones are not available from Yanmar. Yanmar made a kit for running a snowblower on the front driven by the rear pto. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-02-27          177072

Yes, do you happen to have a part number or any idea where I could possibly find one? I know its a shot in the dark, but worth researching.

As of now, I think I'm aiming for a front plow blade and rear snowblower attachment when I find one. The plow will have to have a mounting bracket fabricated for it, but think I found the right plow. I found a 48"x16" utility plow winch driven for $200 on craigslist. Going to check it out tomorrow. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-03-01          177112

ok, well... the plow guy didn't work out. He never returned my call. I'll be on my way to Buffalo, NY tomorrow night to pickup a Ford 48" rear 3pt snowblower off which looks really nice. $800 cash between the blower, gas and food money for my diesel mechanic coworker to help : )

I'm a little concerned as the owner didn't know of a model number... so I'm hoping its a cat 1 attachment. If not, guessing it will sell for what I paid if not for more. I also just received a new set of tire chains from tirechains.com out of Pittsburgh. I bought (4) new 2-link heavy duty chains for $250 delivered. Had to go with the ladder style because of the turf tires and blacktop driveway. Plus they were cheaper anyway : ) Still, between these and the snowblower, watch out! ha!

thanks again for all your help. looking forward to tractoring forward : )

*** UPDATE - I had initially called Tractor Supply for the tire chains and they said it would be 4-6 weeks to get them in because of the odd size, plus they weren't able to quote it over the phone for whatever reason. Well... I just got a call from the manager, a week later, and he quoted $125 and could have them in within 4-5 days. Dangit! Its the old 1 in the hand 2 in the bush... o'well. Hope someone can find the follow up useful. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-01          177114

Some of these postings seem to have gone past each other. As stated, it's easy to get a Cat I rear-hitch blower. As for a front blade, if you have a front loader attached, use its bucket for what the blower won't handle. If not, buying it would be easy; attaching it would be something else.

Maybe you should start by going the normal, cutomary route, and considering custom arrangements after you gain some experience. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-03-01          177115

Thanks Auerbach, you're probably right.

I think I have a good system now with the chains and rear 3pt snowblower. This was priority 1 for getting us through the rest of winter in the NE snowbelt with a 650' driveway!

Thanks again for all the contributions. Very much appreciated. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-01          177117

That's a long way to drive backward operating a blower. And blowing a few inches of snow is overkill. I'd get a rear blade and chains for all four. Will cost much less than a blower. If you get 20", or if you run out of shoulder room for the blade to push the snow over, blade off, blower on. In the summer you can use the blade for grading. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login