Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking for manual for Yanmar Power Steering

View my Photos
bentbreeze
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-10-22          174713

I've volunteered to repair the power steering on my neighbor's Yanmar 226D tractor. From combing these forums, I gather it's a YPS-226 option. The cylinder has had hose clamps around both front and rear since he got the tractor, but there's currently no leakage, just failure to provide power steering. If anyone has a manual or drawings that might help me, please email. Thanks! -Miles.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-22          174714

I could try to send that documentation if I had your email address. "Try" because it's a new printer whose scanner I haven't mastered.

Meanwhile, what's the history on its failing? I assume you've verified that the fluid is the right kind, amount, and condition, both filters are good, and the other hydraulics are working. ....

View my Photos
bentbreeze

2010-10-22          174715

Hi! My email is bentbreeze at comcast dot net. The fluids and filters were recently serviced by a local, reputable, shop. The P/S worked, then became intermittent, then stopped working. It does not leak under any condition and fails to operate in either direction. Conveniently failed near mid-range, so tractor is drivable with manual steering with full left-right range. Here's hoping your scanner is easy to use! Thanks! -Miles. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-23          174720

Before you start with the PS, one of you might ask the dealer

1. What did he put in. Most tractors take hydraulic oil whereas the 226 needs combo hyd/trans fluid.

2. Where (and if) he got a replacement external hyd filter. Other filters will fit but not work.

3. Where he located and how he serviced the internal hyd filter.

If the answers don't sound kosher, don't let him just replace the fluid before someone sees to #3, which needs the system drained.

That's a fine tractor and all factory manuals (operators, service, parts) in English are easily available for it. ....

View my Photos
bentbreeze

2010-10-23          174724

Hi! I realize I didn't answer your earlier question regarding other implements. The tractor has an FEL, and it, and the L/R cylinder for the 3-point hitch work perfectly. My post was also unclear about the servicing. He has his tractor regularly serviced seasonally by a reputable dealer. I do not believe there was any correlation between the servicing and the failure. I meant to say only that, since the tractor has worked well for years under this dealer's care, there's no specific reason to believe that incorrect parts or fluids were installed. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-10-23          174733

Sounds like it must be a PS problem so I'll email the relevant pages when I figure out how. The system is designed to revert to mechanical steering if it fails. Won't hurt anything but takes much more effort.

Sounds hydraulic but you might check the mechanicals, especially the tie-rod. It's sort of L-shaped with a threaded horizontal rod going into a disk-like body out of which there's a smaller tapered fitting aimed downward -- where it tends to snap off.

Then you'll want to take the actuator to your bench to service the valves but it can be tricky. If the cylinder has original seals and O-rings, this would be a good time to rebuild it. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-10-24          174737

I just sent two emails of a YPS226 page with different formats (TIFF and JPEG). Let me know what worked and I'll send the rest. ....

View my Photos
bentbreeze

2010-11-17          175209

Thank you for the drawing! Both formats work for me, but the drawing was enough to determine that the P/S is NOT Yanmar, but an unknown aftermarket add-on. I was going to make a manual steering drag link, but can't find the left-hand thread 17mmx1.5 tap anywhere. Neighbor ordered a used manual drag link, and when it arrives, we'll get the whole option on the bench and begin the rebuild process. Tractor will be in service with manual steering while we do the rebuild.

Cheers! and thanks again! ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-11-17          175213

You're most welcome; sorry it didn't work.

I checked my factory drag link. It's a complex piece that I'd sure not like to have to fabricate a duplicate of just to keep the tractor in service for the time it takes to rebuild the PS. What if he needed a rebuild of a major component that couldn't be jury-rigged? ....

View my Photos
bentbreeze

2010-11-23          175324

He got the replacement drag link installed, but we're unsure what to do with the hydraulic ports after removing the Power steering. Should they be capped (as you would AUX ports). or should they be connected together with a hose?

We don't yet have the service manual for the tractor. (He's ordering one tomorrow.) ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-11-24          175335

Probably capping them would simply revert everything to the pre-PS configuration, but to be sure, tell me exactly where they connect to the tractor. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-12-31          176068

There's a recent posting on the SSB tractor site, Yanmar threads, from a "Mike" about his add-on PS, which is different than mine. Just click on his name to email him. ....

View my Photos
bentbreeze

2011-05-23          178579

Hi All! Here is a long overdue update. The P/S option was made by Modular Controls, of Villa Park, IL. They were bought by Vickers in 86, and then Eaton, sometime after that. The kit was OEM by ARPS, Corp., which was bought out by the employees and is now in business as Amerequip. The hydraulics in the kit were supplied by TjBrooks, of Chicago, which is now Hanna-TjBrooks of Libertyville, IL. Hanna-TjBrooks no longer supports the part.
So.... I completely disassembled and mic'ed every piece of the valve and cylinder. Got new seals and back-up rings from a variety of vendors, and a new LOCK WIRE, which was a new experience for me (it secures the Gland end instead of having a threaded Gland Nut). It's back on the tractor and working great!
Cause of the failure was an integrated ball-and-spring pressure-regulator that has an adjustment that had backed out, providing almost zero pressure to the steering assist. Thanks to everyone, especially Auerbach, who provided help! Cheers! Miles. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login