Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 1500 D 4 Wheel Drive

View my Photos
larnanc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-10-01          174298

Hey there....
I'm considering picking up a very nice Yanmar 1500D with 4 wheel drive. The tractor is in beautiful condition and everything appears to work on it properly. I'm not sure of the year of it, but the bodywork is green. I contacted a local Yanmar dealer and he was helpful nor did he have anything positive to say about these tractors. He said that they were imported into the US illegally and parts can't be found for them. Roughly, what is a tractor as described, worth? Any and all info, that anyone could give me, would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-01          174303

It's a perfectly legal but "grey market" model. The "D" means 4WD. Made 1975-9.

"Grey" means it was designed for and went through sale and use in Japan. So the hand-throttle moves in the Japanese way, some US-required safety devices are missing, it has additional PTO speeds for Japanese implements instead of just the North American standard of 540, labels or placards are in Japanese, and it's not supported by Yanmar or most Yanmar dealers here.

Also means there's no documentation in English for it from Yanmar. One workaround is to get manuals (operators, service, parts) for the closest export model, another is to google "Murray Publishing + Yanmar" which sells makeshift manuals for the more popular greys. And there are dealers who cater to greys and have just about everything at least for the popular models such as this.

No way of knowing how many hours a grey worked, likely in a rice paddy, before a jobber bought it and probably shipped it to some remote yard where so-called factory technicians earn their 50 cents a day by slap-replacing what seems needed and easy, repainting, zeroing hour-meters, maybe new tires, and dismantling for shipping.

May not be the best choice for someone unfamiliar with tractors. Might be worth paying more to a local dealer who'll look after you. If you get it we'll try to help as needed.

Not sure of value, but without attachments I'd guess at least $3k for an as-is private sale, up to 5k for a reputable dealer with good warranty. But a tractor without implements can serve only three purposes. Tow stuck vehicles. Keep the sun off if you lie under it. Impress the neighbors if you park it in view. ....

View my Photos
winston1

2010-10-02          174310

The 1500 is one of the most populous of the grey market tractors. Parts availability is very good on the 1500. Good point by Auerbach about no implements, don't know what your use of the tractor will be but you need to consider adding implement pricing in your budget. I would get real nosy about asking history of this tractor from the seller. ....

View my Photos
larnanc

2010-10-02          174311

I'd like to thank both of you for the info. I already have a Mitsubishi MT372 with 2 wheel drive and for it, I have a 60" Befco finish mower and a 48" Land Pride brush hog. I'd use those implements on the Yanmar, if I got it. I bought the brush hog new and really don't like it. I'd love to find an older Woods brush hog. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-02          174325

Then I don't have to alert you to how much noise a 2-cyl diesel makes! And the yannie has the same hitch category. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login