Go Bottom Go Bottom

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-14          165628

Some new models are featuring "wet" brakes. No idea what they are, or why an improvement would be needed. (After 3000 hrs of use on a hilly property I serviced my old mechanical system. The original shoes were still like new.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-14          165629

Auer;
Wet disc brakes simply means that the brakes are inside the rear housing of the tractor normally on the axle shaft but sometimes on the differential shafts. and operate in the same fluid as the hydraulic/transmission system uses. In operations where the brakes are used hard and frequent the fluid acts as a collant for them. Sometimes you have heard of brake "Chatter" being discussed with wet brakes, this is 99% the result of the improper fluid being used.
You did get an extra measure of service from dry brakes, the wet ones normally have a greater lifespan too. Frank. ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-14          165638

Thanks Frank. Even long-lasting brakes need examination and service eventually, and it sounds like these would be a lot of extra work. And if it's a proven advance, you'd think it would be offered on road vehicles. ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-09-14          165639

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 165638
Thanks Frank. Even long-lasting brakes need examination and service eventually, and it sounds like these would be a lot of extra work. And if it's a proven advance, you'd think it would be offered on road vehicles.

Wet brakes would be a huge advance over the crappy rear drum brakes on my Toyota Tacoma. ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-14          165641

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 165639
Wet brakes would be a huge advance over the crappy rear drum brakes on my Toyota Tacoma.

It is tempting to say "oil them" but trust you would know I was kidding. Have you tried the cermanic shoes or do they have them for your application? The rear ones on my 2004 Tundra are not great either.

For my nickle the wet brakes work better but there is no way I would ever attempt to repair them where the dry brakes I would. But then the wet brakes stop my tractor and often the dry brake might slow one. :( ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
Murf

2009-09-14          165642

Wet brakes are a big advantage over the older dry brakes for several reasons.

The biggest one is periodic use, dry brakes, like clutches, have a tendency to develop rust fairly fast because the very nature of them means it's bare metal, no paint or coatings. By having the brakes running in a bath of oil it pretty much prevents rust.

The advantage, as Frank pointed out is heat dissipation. Since it's actually the oil that bears the brunt of the friction, the linings last far longer. The downside is the oil needs to be changed more frequently since it suffers from both heat degradation as well as contamination from the friction material that is worn off.

The problem with installing them on 'over-the-road' vehicles is that you would need a lot more hardware on the underside of each vehicle, including an oil system and cooler for it. It would also add considerably to he "unsprung weight" of a vehicle, this adversely affects handling and ride quality, 2 things no manufacturer wants to do.

Best of luck. ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-14          165648

Deere has had wet brakes since they left the two cylinder series. I had a 4010 built in 62 or 63 with the wet brakes, I traded it off in about 1976 without ever having to go "Inside" to service anything. They did however have a rubber grommet on the plunger of the activating valves below the brake pedals that would go bad routinely, that would let dust and water in to hurry the wear on the external valve. ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-09-15          165652

Yeah, even my two Chinese tractors have wet (disc) brakes. Point being; they're built upon designs that date back to the 1960s, so the the concept has been around for quite a while.

That said, my old YM240 - late 70s vintage I think - still used (dry) drum brakes. Surprising, since the Japanese are typically near the head of the line when it comes to technological advances.

//greg// ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-15          165664

Like Franky said, using the wrong oil isn't good for the brakes. Similarly, dirt bikes and ATVs use wet clutch packs. (When I was into offroad) using the wrong oil like a synthetic could destroy the "glue" that holds the friction material together and to the metal rings. Then you have mass contamination throughout the trans case. And you don't go anywhere!

I have wet brakes on my New Holland. I've used them only a dozen times or so in 700 hours. Having HST virtually (but not totally) eliminates needing brakes. Even my HST skid steer doesn't have brakes at all. It does have Federally-required parking brake that automatically sets itself ("spring-applied/hydraulically released") when the key is off--or as I unfortunately found and plastered my face against the cab door glass--a broken seat switch wire will also set it. And set it it does! From 14 MPH to zero in about 5-6 feet. My HST backhoe didn't have brakes either (well okay, it HAD a single disc brake on the axle pinion--but it got damaged by broken concrete, so I removed it. Besides, since it was on the pinion, if one wheel lost traction it was going to roll anyway since it didn't a limited-slip diff.

You Toyotty guys: Whaaat? The Japs didn't use 4-whl-disc/ABS like my Dodge Ram? tisk, tisk ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-15          165669

Pastor Jeff, you don't use a seat belt? You have got to be kidding, seen how you drive. Watch demo derbi the other night! ;)

As an EX Dodge Ram driver who spent more money on the brakes of that pickup that all Toyotas and Nissians (2 of each) combined you don't want to get into that contest. Oh, had the Dodge for about half the mileage of any of the others. Something about the smallest Toyota car made that pulled out in front of my big bad 4 wheel drive Dodge Ram which was totalled and the little old lady drove on. Yep true. So I went all Toyota then. ....

What are wet disk brakes

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-15          165674

Kenny:
1. Yup no seat belt. Don't need no stinking seat belt. Seriously though, since I usually work alone I'm in and out so much it slows me down too much. And a smushed face is the price I pay--from no seat belt--that is (some say I was born this way--but what do they know)
2. Ram DISC brakes. I got 70,000 miles out of my factory brakes and pull BIG loads. With over 110,000 miles I just replaced the rears. Me thinks you ride the brakes, hmmmm? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login